Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:42   #23176
BHPian

Guys - what will be a good phone for a 70+ adult with only basic mobile experience? Also not a propensity to learn new tech. He should be able to call, send text, take photos and do whatsapp. I need something with an easy interface.
Old 3rd April 2016, 18:48   #23177
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods - Marshmallow anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
My note 5 is running the latest update MM 6.0.1. It has become faster than what it was when running Lollipop.
I am getting decent battery life with screen on time ranging between 3.25 - 4 hrs.
Idle battery seems to have calmed down after I cleared cache from recovery.
Thanks for confirming.
I got tempted and took the plunge to 6.0.1 Marshmallow on my Note 5 and its pretty cool.
Have been observing the battery and it has been holding up very good, pretty much the same as on the earlier Lolipop.
Didn't find too much of a difference in terms of the features, the items in the top pull down menu is a lot more accessible now.

Most noteworthy improvement is in the call quality/stability. I was not happy with the voice clarity during a call on Lolipop. It sounded muffled and broken. I feel a good improvement in the voice clarity now on Marshmallow.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 3rd April 2016 at 19:01.
Old 3rd April 2016, 20:06   #23178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Guys - what will be a good phone for a 70+ adult with only basic mobile experience? Also not a propensity to learn new tech. He should be able to call, send text, take photos and do whatsapp. I need something with an easy interface.

My pick, would be an iphone. Not too much of problems, less complications in terms of features.
Ive also noticed elders getting frustrated easily with the phone hanging.
Otherwise, pick something from the new samsungs. There are some good simple launchers in the playstore to simplify the interface.
Old 3rd April 2016, 21:44   #23179
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Guys - what will be a good phone for a 70+ adult with only basic mobile experience? Also not a propensity to learn new tech. He should be able to call, send text, take photos and do whatsapp. I need something with an easy interface
Nexus 5 if you can get it or the newer Nexus. Nothing beats the stock android and ease of upgrades, operation etc.

Moto X series are also fantastic.
Old 3rd April 2016, 22:39   #23180

Quote:
Guys - what will be a good phone for a 70+ .....
Redmi 2 or Redmi 2 Prime, whichever is available. Perfect size, inexpensive and rarely has any issues.

My dad (60+) was using Redmi 1s until he lost it a couple of months back. He is using a Moto G2 now. His requirements are exactly the same as you mentioned, other than he watches a bit of videos.

His verdict - he preferred the MIUI to (almost) stock android. In his opinion, it was just easier to find and do things on MIUI.
Old 3rd April 2016, 23:23   #23181
BHPian

Quote:
Agree to both the BHPians who mention MI devices. The Redmi 2 Prime will do just fine. MIUI is actually designed as a simple, hassle-free interface, and the icons for example are all friendly looking and overall navigation is straightforward and can be learned quickly.
A very simple example- the messaging icon. In most smartphones these days, we have the 'text-bubble-with-smiley' icon, which is not easy to figure out for a newbie. In MIUI, they have a much more conventional looking messaging icon with a label below. Same for other elements of the interface as well.
Old 3rd April 2016, 23:30   #23182
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the quick responses. One of my friends surggested getting a Samsung Galaxy or Note (not the latest ones). Like a S5 or Note 4 and then activate Easy Mode in the settings. Any idea?
Old 4th April 2016, 01:55   #23183
BHPian

Quote:
The redmi 2 prime using lite mode
Old 4th April 2016, 08:31   #23184
Senior - BHPian

Lenovo Vibe K4 Note (immediately available) OR Redmi Note 3 (flash sale, unknown delivery timelines) ??

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th April 2016 at 09:13. Reason: Soumya realised this was 2016.
Old 4th April 2016, 08:41   #23185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the quick responses. One of my friends surggested getting a Samsung Galaxy or Note (not the latest ones). Like a S5 or Note 4 and then activate Easy Mode in the settings. Any idea?
Why torture them with a Samsung in their old age which will lag sooner or later?

Atleast 5 of my 65+ year old relatives have Mi phones. All are happy.

else mi4 - super snappy at ~13-14k or so, excellent camera too for taking grandchildren's pics.

even iphone 5s will be nice. a friend just got one for his mom of the same age.

Last edited by phamilyman : 4th April 2016 at 08:45.
Old 4th April 2016, 08:51   #23186
Senior - BHPian

Planning to purchase a tempered screen glass for my wife's moto 3G. I have no experience with tempered glasses - are they useful and do they affect the user experience ( eg touch sensitivity ) ? Any other ways of protecting the glass screen ?

I'm looking at http://www.amazon.in/Motorola-Genera...+glass+moto+g3 , this seems to have good reviews . Any other recommendations ?
Old 4th April 2016, 09:01   #23187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Lenovo Vibe K4 Note (immediately available) OR Redmi Note 4 (flash sale, unknown delivery timelines) ??
Considering that Redmi Note 4 is expected to launch in 2017, I guess you should look at the Lenovo Vibe K4 Note.

Another good option is the Huawei Honour 5X.
Old 4th April 2016, 09:11   #23188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Considering that Redmi Note 4 is expected to launch in 2017, I guess you should look at the Lenovo Vibe K4 Note.

Another good option is the Huawei Honour 5X.
Heeheehee, excitement killed the brain ! Whatta typo :P

How is the Huawei build ? I am looking at keeping the handset for atleast 2 years, with some abuse from kid.
Old 4th April 2016, 09:30   #23189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Heeheehee, excitement killed the brain ! Whatta typo :P

How is the Huawei build ? I am looking at keeping the handset for atleast 2 years, with some abuse from kid.
The build is quite good, metal body and all, but as you mention abuse from kid, I would say better stay away from it. Many reviews said the metal body is easily prone to scratches.
Old 4th April 2016, 10:00   #23190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
The build is quite good, metal body and all, but as you mention abuse from kid, I would say better stay away from it. Many reviews said the metal body is easily prone to scratches.
Oh okay, so coming to my initial question then, how is the build of Lenovo Vibe K4 Note ? This is also has a metal frame but plastic body.

How is MediaTek processor of Lenovo K4 compared to Snapdragon of Redmi Note 3 ?
I was told that MediaTek is a cheap processor brand with performance degrading over a few months of use. Is this true ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks