Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:58   #15976
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Be practical man. I was hoping $399 for unlocked version, but that didn't happen. So I'm disappointed too. Now waiting for next Nexus. I hope all the software features of Moto X like active display and always-on voice commands make way to next Nexus. GPE version of Moto X will be definitely $500+.
He he - you can always dream, right? On a serious note, do you think Moto X can demand a premium above Nexus 4? My understanding is that Moto X sits below Nexus 4, so was hoping that it will be priced lesser.

In reality, I am ready to pay till $299 for 16 GB (which is the price point for Nexus 4, 8 GB), unless the hands on reviews reveals some surprises.
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:17   #15977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
He he - you can always dream, right? On a serious note, do you think Moto X can demand a premium above Nexus 4? My understanding is that Moto X sits below Nexus 4, so was hoping that it will be priced lesser.

In reality, I am ready to pay till $299 for 16 GB (which is the price point for Nexus 4, 8 GB), unless the hands on reviews reveals some surprises.
Nexus is special program by Google to set a benchmark device for Android developers. That's why they can sell Nexus devices at a cost. I don't think Motorola can afford to do that. If you see their interviews, they mention that they are treated like any other OEM (surprise surprise) as far as Android is concerned. They didn't even release Moto X with Android 4.3 because they have to go through the same process to get latest Android version.

Google is not making any money by selling Nexus devices, Motorola can't afford to do that.
Old 3rd August 2013, 10:20   #15978
BHPian

Disappointed with Motorola, twice in 2 weeks. First, they launch the Droid Mini with no expandable memory and no 32 GB option and then they launch the Moto-X at a high price.
Old 3rd August 2013, 10:54   #15979
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Nexus is special program by Google to set a benchmark device for Android developers. That's why they can sell Nexus devices at a cost. I don't think Motorola can afford to do that. If you see their interviews, they mention that they are treated like any other OEM (surprise surprise) as far as Android is concerned. They didn't even release Moto X with Android 4.3 because they have to go through the same process to get latest Android version.

Google is not making any money by selling Nexus devices, Motorola can't afford to do that.
Motorola Mobility was purchased by Google couple of years back. Moto X is a Google product, I think.
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:10   #15980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Motorola Mobility was purchased by Google couple of years back. Moto X is a Google product, I think.
Moto X is a Google product but the Nexus line and Motorola products are coming from completely different programs within Google with completely different plans, expectations, audience etc. Google doesn't even advertise Nexus line, whereas they are going to back Moto X with a marketing budget of 500 million USD.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm equally disappointed with it's high pricing. Expecting Motorola phones to be priced at Nexus level is not going to happen. Moto X may come down in pricing a bit, but not like Nexus 4. Another thing that adds to Moto X pricing is that it's assembled in USA. Of course we don't give a crap about it, but there are people in US who are going to buy this phone just for this reason.

I was also looking forward to Moto X to upgrade my Xperia Neo V. And some part of me still hopes that they release an unlocked Moto X on Google Play Store for $350 to $399. Now I'm waiting for next Nexus.

Edit: BTW Motorola is a Google company, they are not Google themselves. There is a difference. Motorola LLC is still a separate company and they have a completely separate executive board and a CEO. So they still function as a separate company with funding from Google. Their CEO did announce that rest of the world won't be getting this Moto X, but a cheaper version (probably assembled in China). He also mentioned that Moto X is not just a product, it's a brand. So we will see more phones in this line.

Last edited by Gandhi : 3rd August 2013 at 11:14.
Old 3rd August 2013, 13:59   #15981
BHPian

Was doing cleanup on my phone yesterday, deleted Facebook.

Before removing the RAM hovered around 80-100 MB free.

Now it runs at 150-170 MB free!

Gained ~60-70 MB straight away!

How much does it take for a massive company like Facebook to develop a good Android app?
Old 3rd August 2013, 14:51   #15982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Now it runs at 150-170 MB free!
My Atrix used to choke all the time. Then one day I removed FB and then on it was smooth sailing all the way!
Old 3rd August 2013, 16:11   #15983
BHPian

+1 to that. What I do now is freeze FB and its extensions when not needed and defrost them if at all needed. This has made my SE LWW super smooth.

Last edited by smrtdvl : 3rd August 2013 at 16:12.
Old 3rd August 2013, 19:13   #15984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
+1 to that. What I do now is freeze FB and its extensions when not needed and defrost them if at all needed. This has made my SE LWW super smooth.
Why not 'Greenify' them. Search for the app on play store. It quite a nice tool to deal with memory hogging apps.
Old 3rd August 2013, 19:42   #15985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post

Why not 'Greenify' them. Search for the app on play store. It quite a nice tool to deal with memory hogging apps.
AFAIK, the phone should be rooted for greenifing.
Old 3rd August 2013, 21:20   #15986
Senior - BHPian

Talking about Motorola, it is nice to see to see the new Droid line.
The Droid Mini looks like a perfect phone (except the gloss).
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/08/02...vs-droid-mini/

BTW: I am considering a 3 month old Razr Maxx HD for around 21-22K. But with the new Droid series, I am in two minds.
Old 4th August 2013, 03:34   #15987
BHPian

Here's a must watch video on Moto X. Also, follow MKBHD if you're not already, that's a must too.

Old 4th August 2013, 10:17   #15988
BHPian

How is Mocromax A116? Any member using this mobile please share your experience.
Old 4th August 2013, 20:32   #15989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
How is Mocromax A116? Any member using this mobile please share your experience.
Search around in this thread itself. It has been discussed at length. I've used it for a while & found the build quality and paint finish to be lacking, even at that price point.

Overall Its a mainstream phone and can do most everyday tasks with aplomb.However, in the present day, the market is flooded with phones of rival brands offering same/better specs at similar price point. See the XOLO play/UMI X2 too as I found these phones to have a better overall package than the A116.
Old 5th August 2013, 15:04   #15990
Senior - BHPian

Any opinions on the Wicked Leak Wammy Passion Z+ ? The specs look terrific for its price - 1.5GHz Quad core CPU, 1920 X 1080 5" IPS display, 2500 maH battery, Jellybean 4.2.2, and the usual additional paraphernelia like AGPS, dual Cameras etc, and all for under 16K !!

The only negative I saw was slightly lower (4GB) internal memory, but then it is expandable to 64GB with an SD card.

http://www.wickedleak.org/218-wammy-passion-z-.html

Last edited by kala : 5th August 2013 at 15:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks