Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 07:50   #976
Senior - BHPian

Moment of Truth - Camera

I have iphone 4 and Captivate. Both are 5 mp. No Flash on Captivate.

Settings were all default ones. no flash used in iphone 4.

Tried clicking some photos for comparo. While there may be some amount of angle variations in some photo, i have tried and click as close as possible. And most of them are within the same time frame. Like one after another.

The photos haven't been modified. Just resized to upload here.

Coffee mug:
Iphone 4
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-dnb.jpg
Captivate a.k.a Galaxy S
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20101212-17.01.42.jpg

Wrist pad of laptop: Wide
Captivate
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20101212-16.54.14.jpg
Iphone 4
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-photo-1.jpg
Wrist pad: Upside down
Captivate
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20101212-16.52.39.jpg
iphone 4
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-photo-4.jpg

Brickbats and comments welcome. Will come up soon with outdoor photos.
Old 13th December 2010, 10:47   #977
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Ok let me summarize my question.
1. What is the difference between Galaxy 3, 5 and S, how does this three compare with LG Optimus.
2. If the main usage is browsing, does Galaxy 5 do a good job?
Ok, let me summarize the answers
a1) If you have budget do not look anything below Galaxy S else pick up Galaxy 3.
a2) Do not go for LG - Inspite of having head-to-head hardware LG android commands low resale & low acceptablity in the crowd. Hence, Samsung
b) Galaxy 3 will do a fair good job, only glitch will be a small screen compared to Galaxy S.

But still for budget constraint shopping, Galaxy 3 is a VFM product where-in one gets most of the things along with Android.

Last edited by .anshuman : 13th December 2010 at 13:42. Reason: Post edited to replace Galaxy 3 in place of Galaxy 5 on user request.
Old 13th December 2010, 10:55   #978
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Android Market 2.2.6 is here, Samsung people can update from below link.

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-android-market-update.jpg

Update : It is working for other android phones as well
Old 13th December 2010, 11:19   #979
BHPian

^^ Ashish, what is advantage of updating to Android Market 2.2.6

I am waiting for Foryo update on galaxy3 as installing everything on phone memory is not going to work well for long.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:36   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Ok let me summarize my question.
1. What is the difference between Galaxy 3, 5 and S, how does this three compare with LG Optimus.
2. If the main usage is browsing, does Galaxy 5 do a good job?
Galaxy S is the most expensive one. Its around 26000 Rs. so if you have the budget, then go for it. Its the best from the samsung.

differences between Galaxy 3 and 5 are:
1. Galaxy 3 has 3.2 inch screen but galaxy 5 has 2.8 inch.
2. Galaxy 3 comes document editor but G5 dont have one. You have to download one form the market.
3. Galaxy 3 has inbuilt support for xvid and divx videos but G5 dont have. But you can download rockplayer from the market. It plays almost everything.
4. G3 has 667 Mhz process vs G5 has 600 Mhz
5. G3 has slightly more RAM. I dont have the exact number.
6. G3 has 3.2 MP camera vs 2 MP camera of G5

So, in terms of specs, yes G3 is better then G5 but if you have budget constraints, then go for G5, you can do pretty much everything after downloading the required apps from the market. I am using G5 from more then 3 months and its one of the best handset available under 10000 Rs. It is very responsive, the tochscreen is really smooth and responsive better then anything in its range. Regarding camera as well, I didint get a chance to compare G5's camera with G3's but I compared it with Nokia's N97 mini and E5 and its better then atleast E5's 5 MP camera. N97 mini's camera is slightly better.
In terms of features under 14000 Rs, LG optimus one seems the best with android 2.2 and 512 MB RAM, better resolution but I have no feedback about the overall quality and performance of the handset.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:39   #981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
^^ Ashish, what is advantage of updating to Android Market 2.2.6

I am waiting for Foryo update on galaxy3 as installing everything on phone memory is not going to work well for long.
Advantages, straight from the horse's mouth:

* The details page for every app will now utilize and display the app’s “Promotional Graphic” assets at the top. If you haven’t done so already, we recommend uploading “Promotional Graphic” assets for your apps as soon as possible.

* Users will be able to filter applications by content rating. If you haven’t added a content rating for your published apps, you should do so immediately at the Publisher site by December 15 — applications or games without a rating will be treated as “Mature”.

* We will be reducing the purchase refund window to 15 minutes.

* We will be increasing the maximum size for .apk files to 50MB, from the current 25MB.

* Market will support filtering based on screen sizes and densities, as well as on GL texture compression formats. Filtering is based on <compatible-screens> and <uses-gl-texture> elements in an app’s manifest.

* If your app includes wallpapers or widgets, Market will automatically add them to new “dynamic” categories, based on their manifest files.

Well, very well oversight.. but still I would say install and enjoy till the update is there
Old 13th December 2010, 17:10   #982
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I have iphone 4 and Captivate.

Tried clicking some photos for comparo.
Are you remembering to tap the screen before taking a photo on the Galaxy / Captivate?

If you don't do that, the camera doesn't focus (AFAIK). Damn irritating! Is there any kind of workaround for this?

cya
R
Old 13th December 2010, 17:12   #983
BHPian

When could we get android 2.2(froyo) pre-loaded on samsung galaxy 3?

Last edited by JMaruru : 13th December 2010 at 17:28.
Old 13th December 2010, 19:39   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
When could we get android 2.2(froyo) pre-loaded on samsung galaxy 3?
samsung team is silent on this, however un-official version is already out on the web, but it won't load unless you root your phone and void the warranty.

check the link few pages back on this thread.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:11   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Would really help if you could elaborate on why its not good.

One of my colleague baught this mobile Micromax A60 for 7K. The major draw back of this phone is the touch screen. It is not smooth as Spice Mi 300 which is coming for a price of 10K. For 3K difference I would not suggest some one to buy a phone which is useless. If you want cheaper Android you can check Spice Mi 300 (10K)or Spice Mi 410(14K approx).

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th December 2010 at 20:37. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 13th December 2010, 23:01   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
* We will be reducing the purchase refund window to 15 minutes.

15 minutes instead of 1 day ? Whats the point? at least previously you could evaluate it properly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Are you remembering to tap the screen before taking a photo on the Galaxy / Captivate?

If you don't do that, the camera doesn't focus (AFAIK). Damn irritating! Is there any kind of workaround for this?

cya
R
Isn't it a feature so that it focusses on where you tap ? I guess you could install some other camera apps from market

Last edited by bottle : 13th December 2010 at 23:02.
Old 14th December 2010, 00:13   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

cya
R
Yes i always do that. Otherwise the photos are blurred. Even in auto focus have to do that. Really irritating. Not the case with iphone 4. Does everything automatic and produces crisp shots.

This is the first time i liked the shots from an iphone. the prev gens were disaster. I will soon compare it with x10 and c905.
Old 14th December 2010, 08:18   #988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom2_ash View Post
Galaxy S is the most expensive one. Its around 26000 Rs. so if you have the budget, then go for it. Its the best from the samsung.

differences between Galaxy 3 and 5 are:
1. Galaxy 3 has 3.2 inch screen but galaxy 5 has 2.8 inch.
2. Galaxy 3 comes document editor but G5 dont have one. You have to download one form the market.
3. Galaxy 3 has inbuilt support for xvid and divx videos but G5 dont have. But you can download rockplayer from the market. It plays almost everything.
4. G3 has 667 Mhz process vs G5 has 600 Mhz
5. G3 has slightly more RAM. I dont have the exact number.
6. G3 has 3.2 MP camera vs 2 MP camera of G5

So, in terms of specs, yes G3 is better then G5 but if you have budget constraints, then go for G5, you can do pretty much everything after downloading the required apps from the market. I am using G5 from more then 3 months and its one of the best handset available under 10000 Rs. It is very responsive, the tochscreen is really smooth and responsive better then anything in its range. Regarding camera as well, I didint get a chance to compare G5's camera with G3's but I compared it with Nokia's N97 mini and E5 and its better then atleast E5's 5 MP camera. N97 mini's camera is slightly better.
In terms of features under 14000 Rs, LG optimus one seems the best with android 2.2 and 512 MB RAM, better resolution but I have no feedback about the overall quality and performance of the handset.
Well finally after discussing with many friends and collegues bought the Sansumg G5.
Here are some main reason for my choice.
Wanted a phone whcih can allow me to access internet / maps etc.
Wanted a phone only with Android OS in it.
Not bothered much about the camera quality or the higher pixel resolution etc.
Well I do understand its one of the most underperforming Androids, but what the heck its ages ahead of my current Samsung Guru mobile.

Only drawback I notice till date is battery drains out pretty quick, but again noticed that it has been the case with all the Android phones till date, so no issues there.

@zoom2_ash: Any news of Samsung upgrade to Froyo? Heard the infor has leaked on webistes. I am just waiting for the official release. How abt you?
Old 14th December 2010, 11:03   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
15 minutes instead of 1 day ? Whats the point? at least previously you could evaluate it properly

Isn't it a feature so that it focusses on where you tap ? I guess you could install some other camera apps from market
Not sure, why did it decreased !!

Quote:

cya
R
As far as I remember seing an app for the doing the auto-focus stuff for you. Sorry, can't remember the name.
Old 14th December 2010, 11:14   #990
BHPian

Quote:
@zoom2_ash: Any news of Samsung upgrade to Froyo? Heard the infor has leaked on webistes. I am just waiting for the official release. How abt you?
Samsung Firmware site has reported that the official Froyo update for Galaxy 3 and 5 will be in Q1 2011.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks