Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2010, 13:06   #1036
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Did anyone have any hands-on experience with the Andro A60? getting it for 6K and seems mighty tempting at that price
Old 18th December 2010, 14:09   #1037
BHPian

Is a Samsung Galaxy 3 or LG Optimus one (p500) worth it?

Guys, am looking to upgrade from my old E51 Nokia. Android looks like a good option, and my budget is around 12-13k Max.

I have shortlisted the Galaxy 3 and the Optimus 1 (P500), and both fall within 13k. Only two major concerns:
1. In reviews, both phones earpiece volume (i.e. when making/receiving calls) is said to be low. That would be a problem for me in crowded areas, as the one thing I hated the most about the E51 was that the earpeice volume was very low, even at max volume, and I could not hear anything in crowded places. How loud is the earpeice of both phones?

2. Battery life of android phones is also said to be poor. I need it to last for 2 days with moderate usage, i.e. a few calls, messages, perhaps internet to check mails, or maybe listening to the radio for a few minutes. Which one has better battery life.

3. Is Android reliable? The symbian OS in my E51 has lots of bugs and slows down even after firmware upgrade. Half the time I get a Memory Full Message even when not running any apps.

Apart from that, both seem to be good phones. Reviews say the LG is better, but Samsung seems to have better brand value in India.

But if volume and battery life for both is not good, I feel tempted to go in for a Blackberry 8520 (which I heard is good). No more Symbian for me.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:22   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone laid their hands (or knows someone who has) on the Dell XCD series of phones?

The XCD28 seems good VFM at 9.5k, dunno how much the XCD35 will go.
Old 18th December 2010, 15:41   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Has anyone laid their hands (or knows someone who has) on the Dell XCD series of phones?

The XCD28 seems good VFM at 9.5k, dunno how much the XCD35 will go.
The dell xcd28 has a resistive touchscreen which is pathetic to use IMO

The Xcd35 is a very good phone but its overpriced at 17K,with specs similar to the optimus one which retails for 12k.add the fact that the original phone ie ZTE racer retails for half that much

Dont go too much into the brand name,Dell has just slapped the brand name on ZTE phones in india and priced them at double the value

plus sales network/after sales service is non-existant
Old 18th December 2010, 15:45   #1040
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
+1! I was worried the two finger tilt would not work, but it does! The two finger rotate only works in the Nexus S, as shown on Andy Rubin's Moto Pad demo. Satellite imagery and map caching is excellent. Best implementation of GPS on any platform, I think!

Also waiting for Google Earth, which is supposed to be great on Gingerbread.
Two finger rotate works perfectly well on my SGS. Waiting for Google to enable Navigation!!
Old 18th December 2010, 20:44   #1041
BHPian

2.3 is already up on SGS!!
Old 18th December 2010, 21:55   #1042
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

anyone has a google nexus S yet?

any feedback ?

thinking of this phone as a possibility.

do share please!
Old 18th December 2010, 22:44   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
2.3 is already up on SGS!!
Can you please provide more info on this, like source of info and is it official from Samsung India, etc.
Old 19th December 2010, 03:58   #1044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Can you please provide more info on this, like source of info and is it official from Samsung India, etc.
its definitely not official.the galaxy S just got the update for Froyo..will be a while before it gets the next update.
Old 19th December 2010, 04:12   #1045
BHPian

avi550m I've been using galaxy 3 for 3 weeks now, I would say you can't beat it for the price you pay.
It should be the Next phone for whoever wants android phone and has limited budget.

1). Earpiece volume is good in galaxy 3, I am using it already, its perfect for voice calls.
2). You can save the battery by limiting the connectivity on any android device, if you keep it in sync and with Data access ON, then you would see battery drain in one day itself.
3). Me too upgraded from symbian, would say, i was in stone age, now this is called a business and fun and a useful device IMHO.

LG one is although running froyo which is a head start, I would still suggest Galaxy3 for budget users.
Check this link

Blackberry is totally a different platform, I use curve 8330, but would say if its not corporate and mail use only, one should skip the berry for now.

Android gives you a much broader view of life.
Old 19th December 2010, 19:13   #1046
BHPian

Hi guys,
I bought an Android SE X10 mini for my Dad, in June, 10 and one X10 (the big daddy) for my uncle in Sep, 10. Since then, I'm going crazy over the Android!
I presently own a SE W705 and want to upgrade to an Android. Don't want X10 (neither mini nor pro) as we have 2 of them already and I'm a little tight on my budget. Just then saw the our own Indian Micromax A60 ad and I was like
This A60 comes with Android 2.1 and has all the bells and whistles similar to its competitors (read Xperia mini/pro and Galaxy 3). Read a lot of reviews and everything seems to be positive. So, can I go for it?
It costs a little over INR 6500 and a *perfect* VFM. No doubts on that.
Do anyone own a Micromax here and any first users of A60? Any help would be grateful

P.S: I checked out Samsung's Galaxy 3 and I'm not impressed. Somehow the design seems to be mundane for me. No offence meant.
Old 19th December 2010, 19:56   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Is there App for Android 2.1 for voice assisted GPS navigation on the Galaxy 3 ?
Old 19th December 2010, 20:06   #1048
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I bit the Android bullet and got the LG Optimus one. The screeen and froyo blew me to the LG. Also LG has done very minimal customization on it compared to Samsung, which works for me.

I am newbie to both Android and the LG Optimus one (P500). Forgive me if some of my questions are trivial

1. How do i install swype ? I cant seem to find it in the market place.
2. How do i exit any application. I use the back (or return key) to come out of a program ? I checked the task killer and quite a lot of program seem to be running. Is this the only place i can kill (or close) them ?
3. Contacts sent as a business card over sms are not received while via bluetooth its ok.

Would have more questions as I explore.
Old 19th December 2010, 20:35   #1049
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sorry for an additional post (if somebody can merge with previous one, please do).

How do i make my comp (running Win 7) recognize my phone. It charges when i connect via usb but not able to view the phone otherwise.
Old 20th December 2010, 01:27   #1050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Sorry for an additional post (if somebody can merge with previous one, please do).

How do i make my comp (running Win 7) recognize my phone. It charges when i connect via usb but not able to view the phone otherwise.
after you connect the phone via USB you have to click "mass storage" on the phone..after that slide the notification bar down and click on the USB tab and press mount..after this your phone will appear as a drive on your computer..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks