Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2010, 17:56   #1171
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Jassi,

I guess the HTC Desire HD does not have a front facing camera for video calls. Is there any other way one can achieve this using the lone 8mp camera?
Old 26th December 2010, 18:22   #1172
BANNED

Can somebody please rank the different screen types (LED / AMOLED, etc, resistive / capacitive etc) on some crieteria?

Also, people may find this interesting:-

Android Developers Blog: It’s not “rooting”, it’s openness

Also, it may be noted that there are alternatives to Google's market place; there aint any alternatives for OVI.

VLC For Android May Arrive In Early 2011 - Slashdot
Old 26th December 2010, 18:49   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android applications

Some of the apps I am currently using in my LG P500:

App name - Dolphin Browser HD
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - An alternative to the phone's in-built browser
How it performs (your rating) - Excellent. Supports pinch zoom and can open multi-tabs. Gestures for various actions to be performed in the browser (close, back, forward etc).

App name - AVG Anti-Virus
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Anti-virus software to scan and clean the phone. Has real-time scanning too and scans each app downloaded from market and each file loaded into phone
How it performs (your rating) - Good. Made me stop installing apps that haven't been downloaded from the Android market.
Old 26th December 2010, 19:45   #1174
BHPian

Resistive.

A resistive touchscreen panel is composed of several layers, the most important of which are two thin, metallic, electrically conductive layers separated by a narrow gap. When an object, such as a finger, presses down on a point on the panel’s outer surface the two metallic layers become connected at that point. This causes a change in the electrical current which is registered as a touch event and sent to the controller for processing.

Capacitive.

A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass and coated with a transparent conductor. As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the body’s electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance.

Boring. Now that’s out of the way, let’s look at the key differences between the two:

Capacitive is the newer technology and more expensive to manufacture.
Too much layers on a resistive panel reflects ambient light so display is poorer against sunlight compared to capacitive.
Capacitive uses your electron-rich finger as contact. Gloved fingers or inanimate objects doesn’t work.
Resistive panels only require pressure. You can use your fingers, stylus or even your fingernail.
Multi-touch won’t work with resistive touchscreen as opposed to capacitive.
So now you know which devices uses a capacitive and a resistive touchscreen. I hope you would also learn that there’s no clear winner here. Each technology has its own use. It is also clear that it is a major disadvantage for capacitive touchscreen-based devices to sell well in cold countries.

AMOLED or Active matrix organic light emitting diode is the latest display technology used in today’s products such as mobile phones and televisions. Some of its advantages over the existing LCD and LED display technologies are as follows:-
They are extremely thin and weigh a lot lesser than conventional displays
They can be bent! yes!, this makes them resistant to breakage and are extremely rugged

Lower power consumption – The screen lights up, hence they do not require backlights (LCDs and LEDs do)
Superior image quality – Remember the light that is emitted from the display screen is from the actual screen, which means unlike conventional displays, a backlight is not used, which means higher contrast ratios and better colour reproduction

Hence the best combo will be capacitive + amoled
Old 26th December 2010, 21:25   #1175
Senior - BHPian

Except Nokia other manufacturers are making most of their phones without the front facing camera. They dont think Video calling is a good feature to have?
Old 26th December 2010, 23:58   #1176
BANNED

Thanks, blueenger.

Srishiva - right now, only BSNL / MTNL provide 3G video conferencing; and the recent order to that effect (hardly one week) has stirred up a storm in the operator's.
Old 27th December 2010, 01:32   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
How about the camera and sound quality?
Also does it have multi-touch?
the camera,call and sound quality are great on htc desire hd. Multi-touch works perfectly fine as well, including pinch to zoom and the new 3d google maps two finger gestures

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Jassi,

I guess the HTC Desire HD does not have a front facing camera for video calls. Is there any other way one can achieve this using the lone 8mp camera?
Yes the android 2.3 does offer support for 2 cameras and video calling - but i have not seen any app in the store yet that allows for video calling 3g or wifi is much needed to make video calls and even with 3g i haven't seen video calling pick up in other countries (aussie and US specifically) - face it not many ppl wanna be seen all the time, especially when the boss calls it would be rude to reject the boss' video call!
Old 27th December 2010, 01:45   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
the camera,call and sound quality are great on htc desire hd. Multi-touch works perfectly fine as well, including pinch to zoom and the new 3d google maps two finger gestures

Yes the android 2.3 does offer support for 2 cameras and video calling - but i have not seen any app in the store yet that allows for video calling 3g or wifi is much needed to make video calls and even with 3g i haven't seen video calling pick up in other countries (aussie and US specifically) - face it not many ppl wanna be seen all the time, especially when the boss calls it would be rude to reject the boss' video call!
how much did the Desire HD cost you there?
with the conversion rate applied.
(I mean is it considerably cheaper there?)
(Reason is that, my friend is coming from US, this Jan, so, if its better, I can ask him to bring an HD for me too!, I am really happy about the phone)
can you explain the camera part bit more?

thanks.

care,

Ace.
Old 27th December 2010, 05:30   #1179
BHPian

If the camera and sound is great, there is not much more doubt about it.
As you told that the HD would cost 27k here but I saw the prices online being the same or a little more.
Old 27th December 2010, 06:38   #1180
Senior - BHPian

App name - Skyfire
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - An alternative to the phone's inbuilt browser
How it performs (your rating) - Excellent. Supports pinch zoom and can open multi-tabs. also says it plays some videos which normally wouldnt be possible with 2.1.i prefer it over the dolphin browser..
Old 27th December 2010, 11:07   #1181
BHPian

in Aussie, it cost us 800 dollars including delivery - so not cheap here.
here is the cnet aussie review HTC Desire HD Review - Smartphones & PDA Phones
But yeah US you can get it for much cheaper, if its launched there and I am quite sure its not. If you are getting something from the US - get the Google Nexus S for 500 bucks!! Its google's official phone, updates directly provided by google - 2 cameras, et al - its a no brainer!! Nexus S ? The new Android phone from Google
Old 27th December 2010, 11:16   #1182
Senior - BHPian

App name - NFS
Free/Charge - Bought at Rs. 46.7
What it does - Car racing
How it performs (your rating) - mobile version of worlds most famous game; NFS, good one.
Old 27th December 2010, 11:37   #1183
BHPian

App name - Google Sky Map
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Just hold your mobile at a star or planet, it gives you the name and many more
How it performs (your rating) - Very very good.

App name - Yahoo mail
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - Very useful Yahoo mail applications, because Yahoo doesn't supports POP mails in any device. But in this you get the full functions of Yahoo mail like Sent, Draft, Trash, Spams etc.
How it performs (your rating) - Very Very good

App name - MSN Droid
Free/Charge - Free
What it does - MSN Messenger
How it performs (your rating) - Very very good
Old 27th December 2010, 13:03   #1184
BHPian

Guys - need a small help on my galaxy s. Am not able to play songs in my car using USB. Initially for a couple of days, it played the songs through the USB and kies. Now, once i plug in, the Kies is connected, the HU starts reading for 10 seconds, but after that nothing happens.

Can you pls let me know what the problem can be?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:09   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Guys - need a small help on my galaxy s. Am not able to play songs in my car using USB. Initially for a couple of days, it played the songs through the USB and kies. Now, once i plug in, the Kies is connected, the HU starts reading for 10 seconds, but after that nothing happens.

Can you pls let me know what the problem can be?

Thanks in advance.
maybe the sd card is corrupted or something - just goto settings->storage and format the card from the phone itself and then copy the songs back into it. Hopefully that should work.
Edit - not sure what kies is, something samsung specific i guess. Ideally (from nexus one experience), when connected to usb, the phone should prompt 'usb connected act as data store' or something similar

Last edited by jassi : 27th December 2010 at 13:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks