Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 18:32   #1246
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Thanks bro. I will check that out. Has anyone used LG Optimus?
I got an Optimus for my wife. Pretty decent phone in my opinion for that amount of money.
Old 30th December 2010, 18:36   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
I got an Optimus for my wife. Pretty decent phone in my opinion for that amount of money.
Please upload some snaps taken from the fone.

Thats the final comparision I am considering now, between Wildfire, and Optimus P500.

Thank you!

care,

Ace.
Old 30th December 2010, 19:26   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Please upload some snaps taken from the fone.

Thats the final comparision I am considering now, between Wildfire, and Optimus P500.

Thank you!

care,

Ace.
Between the Wildfire and the Optimus I would recommend the Wildfire. The Optimus has a so-so camera and no flash. The Wildfire has a good camera with flash.
Old 31st December 2010, 01:30   #1249
BHPian

HTC Wildfire was superseded by a similar phone called HTC Aria in Aussie. Not sure if that will get launched in India as well.
Old 31st December 2010, 02:42   #1250
BHPian

Today went and checked a few mobiles.
The Samung Galaxy 551 was a real nice phone but the Samung OmniaPro has a bigger 3.5" AMLOED screen instead of a 3.2" TFT screen on the Galaxy 551. The Omnia has a 5 mp camera where as the 551 has a 3.2 mp. The one thing which really differs them is that, the Omnia uses Windows 6.1(upgradeable to 6.5) and the 551 has a Froyo(Android 2.2).

The HTC Desire HD is just to damn amazing HUGE screen, the X10 was just besides it and you can tell how big the screen is.

I saw a Dell mobile with a name starting from S had a even huger screen, maybe 5" or so.
Can anyone tell me if they know which phone that was?

Is the Streak comparable to the HD or should I say that the HD is comparable to the Streak?

EDIT - I think it was the streak.

Last edited by abhayshanu : 31st December 2010 at 02:46.
Old 31st December 2010, 03:24   #1251
BHPian

Abhayshanu, where did you check for the Desire HD? I checked Vijay Sales, Croma and many other shops but was out of stock everywhere. Same goes with the Galaxy S. Heard it's available at real great prices at Alfa in Vile Parle. Did you check out there?

And the 5" one was the Streak. Almost same hardware features (HD has much more RAM than the Streak and both have the same processors) but has a much larger screen. Flipkart has a 8k difference in price between Desire HD and Streak, so Desire is definitely more VFM. I am in the market and most probably gonna put my moolah on the Desire HD. Also, I guess there will be more number of ROM's for HD as compared to Streak thanks to xda-developers.

Last edited by prateekm : 31st December 2010 at 03:28.
Old 31st December 2010, 03:45   #1252
BHPian

I checked Alfa and they have the HD in stock, the streak AFAIK has the older QSD8250 where as the HD has the newer QSD8255.
The camera is also better by 3 mp and 1 LED on the HD and the screen is a Super LCD on the HD as compared to the TFT on the Streak.

The HD costed some 26k with warranty and 24 without where as the Streak was for 30k with warranty.

The only good thing I liked about the Streak was the extra .7" screen but then again that comes under the tablet category and 4.3" is big enough. But if there is something extremely interesting or better then I wouldn't mind changing my budget to accommodate the streak
Old 31st December 2010, 08:30   #1253
Senior - BHPian

^^ Don't know about desire but Streak has no FM. Just for your info.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:04   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Two guys in my office bought the Streak. It looks very good, the UI is smooth. Swype is much more usable than on small phones due to the large screen.

One unique thing about the Streak is that it is the only tablet that can actually be pocketed. In some places like my office which don't allow external devices like tablets and laptops, it is difficult to bring an iPad.. but a Streak can be in the pocket like any other phone, and even if someone asks, you're just bringing your phone to work - that's all. That's a huge advantage.

By the way (not sure if I mentioned it before), one of these guys dropped his Streak, the mic stopped working and he is getting a replacement. So it looks like product support is there at least initially.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:08   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Can you post a picture of your friend with a Streak in his hand??
I am rather concerned about the size of Streak. Whether it is pocket-able or not.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:16   #1256
BHPian

here is a review of dell streak on cnet
Dell Streak Review - Tablets - CNET Reviews
and here is a review of htc desire hd on cnet
HTC Desire HD Review - Smartphones & PDA Phones

I'd rate the HTC desire HD over Dell Streak for similar reasons as shared before in favor of HTC devices :-)
Old 31st December 2010, 10:17   #1257
Senior - BHPian

Having a Dell desktop, one thing for sure is the service support. No questions asked, replacement done quickly.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:20   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
True, but there is more to Mobile Tracker as per the Samsung phone manual and websites. With Samsung Mobile Tracker, you could remotely lock your phone, wipe its data etc if it is lost/stolen by logging onto http://www.samsungdive.com

I wanted to know if it is supported in India.
Yes it is not country specific but model specific , this feature is supported on Wave (Bada) and Android phones from Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The mobile tracker is a feature which sends an SMS to a predifined number if the phone is used with a different SIM. I think it exists on most Samsung and LG models.
That was the most primitive form on feature phones ( non wave , non android) it has evolved in to something much bigger see the link posted by sheetumanu

Last edited by amitk26 : 31st December 2010 at 10:23.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:23   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Can you post a picture of your friend with a Streak in his hand??
I am rather concerned about the size of Streak. Whether it is pocket-able or not.
Hope this pictorial comparison with iPad gives you a good idea: Apple iPad vs. Dell Mini 5 / Streak... fight! (Bonus: smartphone pile-on!) -- Engadget

Also check out
http://androidandme.com/wp-content/u...5-hands-on.jpg

Dell streak vs Nexus one: http://www.eurodroid.com/pics/dell_streak_nexus_one.jpg

Dell streak vs chappal: http://www.thevarguy.com/wp-content/...llStreak3.jpeg

Well it is definitely pocketable (depending on the size of the pocket, of course) because my friend always carries it in his pocket. But yes, for small pockets it may not fit.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 31st December 2010 at 10:24.
Old 31st December 2010, 11:13   #1260
Senior - BHPian

I have heard that Asus-Garmin phones have the best GPS. Has anyone used these? How do the HTC's and Samsung's fare in this respect.
Note: My budget is just around 15K - no high end phones please.

Most Viewed