BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^ rockplayer is best!!
Old 14th January 2011, 04:31   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicky_GT View Post
Hello all, this is a very huge thread and hence was unable to go through it completely to get my doubts cleared. Have got my heart stuck on the Sony Ericcson Xperia 10 Mini Pro. do we have any existing owners here, a reveiew from a team bhpian will help loads.
Well I never liked the X10 mini/mini pro, just love the X10. But a new X10 Mini Pro2 has come out, its got a larger screen, 3", you could take a look at that - Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini pro2 - Full phone specifications
Old 14th January 2011, 11:34   #1398
BHPian

If any one has HTC desire HD please write a brief review about the phone, I am planning to buy one.

I thought of buying Samsung Galaxy S but lack of availability of the phone made me change my decision.
Old 14th January 2011, 12:29   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind splitter View Post
If any one has HTC desire HD please write a brief review about the phone, I am planning to buy one.

I thought of buying Samsung Galaxy S but lack of availability of the phone made me change my decision.
I have made a comparo of Galaxy S and HD a couple of pages back. In brief, it's more VFM and feature packed and cheaper than Galaxy S.

Positives :
  • 4.3" Screen
  • 33% more RAM
  • HD Video Recording
  • 8mp Camera
  • Dolby Mobile and SRS virtual surround sound
  • Better UI than S.

Negatives :
  • Battery life. You used it for a day (7am - 10 pm) and still 25-30% remains. Some owners expect that it should have been more.
  • No front camera, no video calling.
  • HTC Service is pathetic at some places, but I never had problems with my old HTC. The Pune/Mumbai Service Centers were satisfactory.
  • Had a few slight bugs, nothing major.
Old 14th January 2011, 13:40   #1400
Senior - BHPian

I am on the lookout for a new phone - definitely Android!

Is anyone here using HTC Desire-Z? Just wanted to know how robust is the sliding action and the build quality of that. I love to have a real keyboard than a virtual one. But it is the slider that keeps me worrying.

My previous phones - two of them - had slider and they both died because of the slider.

I am a display freak and I want the best display in that segment. Which displays I should be looking at? S-LCD? AMOLED? or both?

EDIT: Anyone has experience buying from flipkart.com? Will I get a warranty and proper bill? Any other things which I should be concerned about?

Last edited by clevermax : 14th January 2011 at 13:45.
Old 14th January 2011, 13:44   #1401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

I am a display freak and I want the best display in that segment. Which displays I should be looking at? S-LCD? AMOLED? or both?
definitely AMOLED ....
Old 14th January 2011, 13:46   #1402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
definitely AMOLED ....
So I am beginning to think of ditching the idea of Desire-Z and going to good old Desire. Thanks Amit
Old 14th January 2011, 14:40   #1403
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the back to back post but I exhausted the time limit.

After checking flipkart.com, I see that the new Desire phones comes with S-LCD display and not AMOLED. Then research went on to compare both displays and it seems that the only aspect AMOLED scores well above the S-LCD is the vivid reproduction of colors. Otherwise S-LCD is as good as AMOLED, that's what I could understand.
Old 14th January 2011, 14:56   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
Then research went on to compare both displays and it seems that the only aspect AMOLED scores well above the S-LCD is the vivid reproduction of colors. Otherwise S-LCD is as good as AMOLED, that's what I could understand.
Other advantage of AMOLED over LCD is the power consumption. AMOLED uses way less power compared to LCD. That's why you don't hear any Galaxy S or Wave users complaining about battery back-up.
Old 14th January 2011, 15:05   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Well I never liked the X10 mini/mini pro, just love the X10. But a new X10 Mini Pro2 has come out, its got a larger screen, 3", you could take a look at that - Sony Ericsson XPERIA X10 mini pro2 - Full phone specifications
Has this phone actually come out?

Is Android 2.1 the final version on both the X10 mini pro as well as X10 mini?
Will X10 mini pro2 be updated to Android 3.0?

Last edited by S_U_N : 14th January 2011 at 15:06.
Old 14th January 2011, 15:06   #1406
Senior - BHPian

There are only 3 aspects which can set apart displays of same resolution.
1. Vivid reproduction of colors.
2. Brightness
3. Power consumption.

AMOLED wins on all the 3 counts , The reason all companies are pusing LCD with a new suffix like S is that AMOLED is in short supply.
HTC does not manufacture them on it's own . The other big OEM who is their competitor is facing shortage for it's own products.
FYI commissioning a new fab plant is approx 4 billion dollar investment as I have heard so no one wanted to invest at first sign of shortage and create a glut.
Old 14th January 2011, 16:18   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are only 3 aspects which can set apart displays of same resolution.
1. Vivid reproduction of colors.
2. Brightness
3. Power consumption.

AMOLED wins on all the 3 counts , The reason all companies are pusing LCD with a new suffix like S is that AMOLED is in short supply.
HTC does not manufacture them on it's own . The other big OEM who is their competitor is facing shortage for it's own products.
FYI commissioning a new fab plant is approx 4 billion dollar investment as I have heard so no one wanted to invest at first sign of shortage and create a glut.
But the Super-LCD is not really the older TFT-LCD right? The comparisons say that both S-LCD and AMOLED has similar contrast and both are equally reflective. While S-LCD has better horizontal viewing angles, AMOLED has better vertical viewing angles. (Just AMOLED and not Super-AMOLED)

Is power consumption of S-LCD way too much compared to AMOLED? What I have understood is that it is higher but only marginal.
Old 14th January 2011, 16:25   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Anyone upgraded HTC Legend to 2.2 froyo ?

After Upgrade, I feel the phone has slower response to touch, hangs sometimes, and does not let you answer a call etc.,

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 14th January 2011, 16:37   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the Super-LCD is not really the older TFT-LCD right? The comparisons say that both S-LCD and AMOLED has similar contrast and both are equally reflective. While S-LCD has better horizontal viewing angles, AMOLED has better vertical viewing angles. (Just AMOLED and not Super-AMOLED)

Is power consumption of S-LCD way too much compared to AMOLED? What I have understood is that it is higher but only marginal.
Well as Samsung was supplying AMOLED to HTC in my understanding it is same as Super AMOLED of Samsung just branding difference.

the SLCD is actually a high quality TFT LCD manufactured by Sony , HTC was forced to switch to SLCD after supply constraints. In fact samsung is also forced to launch many models with super-clear LCD ( manufactured by Samsung) due to same reasons. The difference in these super or 2010 ,2011 is that they have higher resolution then older LCDs

The word super /super clear has no specific meaning , They can't use words like "Little improved" , " Same old Crappy" ,"old wine new bottle" so use the word super as a generic catch all term.

HTC Forced to Switch to Super TFT LCD From AMOLED Due to Shortages [Update: HTC Plans to Use Both] | Android Community

EDIT : If you are unable to find an AMOLED / Super-AMOLED at good price no harm in buying another SLCD / SCLCD .. there is a difference but it is not the sole factor to decide.

For example if you get same features at 3-4 K less what is the big problem if screen is little less bright and power consumption is little higher.

Last edited by amitk26 : 14th January 2011 at 16:40.
Old 14th January 2011, 16:39   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Other advantage of AMOLED over LCD is the power consumption. AMOLED uses way less power compared to LCD. That's why you don't hear any Galaxy S or Wave users complaining about battery back-up.
We can't technically say AMOLED always consumes less power. For the same screen resolution for a 2.4" display, if the screen displays all white pixels, AMOLED consumes about 330% more power than LCD.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-power.png

As the display goes from white to something which contains more and more darker pixels, the power consumption of AMOLED reduces and goes below that of LCD while LCD's consumption stays almost at the same level. A typical desktop with black background and few icons in an android phone will make the AMOLED consume about 40-50% of what is consumed by LCD. So on an average, it ends up consuming about 60% of that of LCD screens with normal usage.

If you use internet a lot, battery will drain as fast as that in LCD - due to white (or lighter colors) being the background color of many websites. This also explains the black themes many Android phones come shipped with.

Information from a presentation which compares both technologies.

Now this was against LCD. I read somewhere that S-LCD consumes less power than older LCD screens.

Quote:
Samsung) due to same reasons. The difference in these super or 2010 ,2011 is that they have higher resolution then older LCDs
Just higher resolution? What about colors? Need to do some research on this as well..

Last edited by clevermax : 14th January 2011 at 16:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks