Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 10:06   #1456
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just like many here I am also deciding between the Desire and Desire HD.
Is the Android 2.2 update officially available for Desire? If not then will I be voiding the warranty if I upgrade it?

Also what does the future hold for HTC Desire. Google is churning out Android upgrades way too fast. The excitement for 2.2 is still bubbling and we have 2.3 already available on some phones.

Will 2.3 be available for Desire or it will be reserved only to newer phones like Nexus S/Desire HD etc?

Having said that what are the other Android phones I can look forward to in the 22-25K INR bracket?

Looking forward to the replies.

Regards
Old 19th January 2011, 10:16   #1457
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys does it make sense to run after this 2.2 vs 2.3 vs 2.4 debate. I mean till 6 months back 2.1 was supposed to be best. These digits will keep changing like a clock every 4-5 months. For an average user who just uses his phone for calls, sms, and some browsing, does it make any difference whats the OS version he is running? I agree there will be a difference between lets say 1.6 and 2.2. But is there considerable difference between 2.2 and 2.3?
Old 19th January 2011, 10:44   #1458
BHPian

Guys How did i miss this discussion.

I am not completely sure of this, but The HD video Recoding is the feature by the Phone Manufacturer and not Android, as the case with Sony X10, it has HD Recoding on 2.1. But Many other phones (HTC Desire), running 2.1 dont have the HD function.

As per my understanding, Android, 2.1 (Eclair), 2.2 (Froyo), now 2.3 (Gingerbread) are all base Code, to which every Manufacture add's their own touches. The Updates have come fast up to 2.3 but from now on it will be slow, as its reached a leave on Par if not Better, when compared to the main rivals Iphone.

1) Hence if someone is looking at upgrading their software from 2.1 to 2.2, he will get the benefits of Android and not the device Upgrade from Non HD to HD.

2) There is no differentiation for Hardware with Varies versions of Android, but the Phone Manufactures, are looking to Make their Phones, faster and similar to Notebook. hence they are bringing newer technology.

So

@ hiren
You wont be voiding the warranty if you upgrade the software from 2.2 to 2.3, But these upgrades are not easily authorised, as they require to be coded according to the Phone, Hence HTC will first decide, if the upgrade is essential and then allow the upgrade.

@ Fordmanchau
Have you checked the Android Market place, they have many more thing available the Nokia can offer, I particularly like the LG, as LG has created its own Market place, where you can get applications that work best with their Phones, But if I were you I would always buy HTC over LG & Nokia, mainly due to the features and the looks as well as the Business applications. Which is quite similar to Black Berry.....
Old 19th January 2011, 11:35   #1459
BHPian

New Update for X10

Dear X10 owners,

There is a 8 MB software update available.Downloaded it last night.Dont think its multitouch/dual touch but the phone has become a lot more faster ,the occassional lag has just disappeared.

Other than this did not find anything worthwhile to mention.

Edit: Here are the system details:

Firmware: 2.1-update1
Baseband: 2.0.49
Kernel: 2.6.29
Build: 2.0.2.A.0.24

Last edited by kratos11 : 19th January 2011 at 11:39.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:42   #1460
BANNED

Guys
Last week upgraded from my 4 month old desire to Desire HD. Initial impressions are positive. The phone is fast, in fact very fast switching between applications, display crisp ,not as good as my desire. Battery backup is pretty average,looking for improvement after some charging cycles. Its heavier than Desire. The image quality is definitely better than Desire, as is HD recordings. Overall I think a worthy upgrade to my Desire.
Old 19th January 2011, 15:04   #1461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
..Is the Android 2.2 update officially available for Desire?..
The current HTC Desire phones are coming directly with Android 2.2 out of the box.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:03   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Just like many here I am also deciding between the Desire and Desire HD.
For me it was easy to decide on Desire @22.6K. Order placed on Monday and waiting for the delivery..
Slightly less bulky, S-LCD and 1GHz processor.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th January 2011 at 22:06.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:31   #1463
Distinguished - BHPian

Desire sounds good. But just curious any idea why you didn't consider the nexus s? its supposed to come here any day now.
Old 19th January 2011, 22:45   #1464
BHPian

Does anyone have any idea when Nexus S is launching in india ?
Old 19th January 2011, 23:03   #1465
BHPian

I am looking to buy a phone that has a good screen for reading/browsing? good battery performance, music. I don't really care about camera/video recording GPS and other things. I am ok with a budget of up to 20k, but if there is anything that serves my purpose for lesser, I would prefer to settle for it.

PS: 96 pages, sorry couldn't really go through the whole thread.
Old 19th January 2011, 23:45   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Desire sounds good. But just curious any idea why you didn't consider the nexus s? its supposed to come here any day now.
Simple answer - I wasn't aware of it coming! Plus I am phone less for a week now and I want to get a phone asap. Nexus S will be much expensive than a Desire right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Still going with Desire.. going to order, guys any last minute pointers on why I should NOT take the plunge?
Nobody told anything.. you see!!

Last edited by clevermax : 19th January 2011 at 23:51.
Old 20th January 2011, 00:30   #1467
Distinguished - BHPian

well its rumored to come in at 24-25k. At that price it really looks like a very VFM product .
Old 20th January 2011, 11:16   #1468
BHPian

On NDTV Shopping, the price mentioned is 24K. A few days back, the status was 'In Stock', but now the status is 'Coming Soon'.

Samsung Nexus S Price India, Samsung Nexus S Review & Features, Buy Samsung Mobiles - NDTV Shopping
Old 20th January 2011, 11:51   #1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Guys i am so confused here.
Need to buy a phone for myself within 15k budget.
==========
and others .
Help me decide. As I my rokr E6 will be gone by this weekend. have to replace it by then.
go for the optimus one it has mdpi display wildfire has ldpi. optimus already has 2.2 at 12k. IMO the best bet would be the HTC legend if you can find it in the grey market at 16k.
Old 20th January 2011, 12:27   #1470
BHPian

Finally got my hands on Nexus S. Its awesome! May be i am not the guys who can ideally compare which touch phone, smart phone is better as I never used one in my life earlier.

Coming from Nokia 6300, upgrade is just too good. Touch response is way too easy, messaging is way to easy with word prediction enabled. Screen clarity is too good, most application work pretty fast.

I am still on vodafone 2G, hence all apps should use wifi for connecting to net. Which means navigation couldn't be used! However location & Maps accurate! accurate enough to 10ft (Area BSK guys, so excuse if it isn't correct else where.)!

Music player is good, clean music. supplied ear phone is good in clarity, but not designed ergonomically! may be I like only Sony ear phones.

If I have to go for 3G, any suggestion which on is better being in Karnataka? Should be low on poket, no video browsing required. only mails, maps & navigation are main requirement.

It has some cons,
Had too much issue in syncing contacts. very thing needs to be assigned to google account! way too intrusive to me. vCard importing is broken, meaning it will import but doesn't adds to elected profile. Keeps in some hidden folder. so I did importing 7 times, finally give-up. Instead imported vCards into dummy google account and mapped same to phone! Synced address book. Now I have contact! However when call came from one of the contact, it wasn't picking customization (like photo, tune). Got to know that it will default picks up from hidden folder. Now I have 7 times same contact in this folder, and have to delete each contact one by one!

The user manual is about saying how to connect battery and SIM! for every thing else u should read Gingerbread manual! Gingerbread manual isn't well documented.

Blue tooth visibility to other devices turns off every 2 min. Not sure if it also switches off blue-tooth radio to save battery. If I have to transfer something big its causing too much of issue! setting to make it visible is hidden way too deep in menu! you can't even turn off this feature... Google, what u thinking!

No FM radio! I don't need one as rarely listen.

Adding you own ringtone is way too complicated for my liking. there isn't a dedicated folder i can copy so called ringtones. You need to go to each tunes in music player and select as ringtone. I am used to setting individual tone for group/individual contacts! More to explore later!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks