Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 14:52   #1546
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
I'm using HTC wildfire, the mini desire ,its almost desire without hard keys
Your review could not have at a better time for me. Thanks!! I am thinking of purchasing this phone for my wife.
I think Wildfire has soft keys like Desire HD?

Quote:
Gallery is integrated to FB so that you can visit FB albums from gallery itself
Great feature never knew about it.

Quote:
But i'm still not able to connect via WiFi properly ,tried from office but was not able to browse due to proxy settings,is there an option to set proxy in phone?
Are you sure it was due to proxy settings i mean there is no issue with the wildfire as such? As my wife will be using with net with wifi only.

Quote:
camera is pretty OK when compared to my old phone Nokia 6300 ,pics had good quality when transferred to PC
Good to know about this. As she likes to click sometimes.

Quote:
speech recognition ,is it there in wildfire?
Need to check about this when next time i visit a shop.

Quote:
Battery - as i'm not using GPRS always , charge stays for 1.5-2 days usually.
Still that is good for a Android.

Quote:
my opinion its a good VFM at 14k
Currently prices have reduced to 13K.

Also can you provide your feedback about the screen displa. As eveywhere it has been said that it is not good. what is your take on it?
Old 24th January 2011, 15:06   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Can phone GPS work without network connection too??

There is one question that I now have with respect to GPS in phone..

In the Android phone, esp the Galaxy S, 3 and 5, is it possible to use the GPS without having to use the network. I thought the phone gets its GPS info from the network, are they independant function that a phone can do on its own.
Additionally, if yes, is there an app that I can download to use the GPS without having to use the network at all.
Something similar to the Google Earth...
I will be going on few international trips such an app would be loads helpful to me....
Old 24th January 2011, 15:09   #1548
Team-BHP Support

Yes, GPS is not a function of the cell phone network. Having a data connection merely means that you can get a fix quickly.
However, maps are a different thing. Google downloads maps from network. there are other standalone apps which can cache maps.
One such app is Brut maps. It downloads maps from the internet using WIFI, and then caches them on SD card.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:18   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
Your review could not have at a better time for me. Thanks!! I am thinking of purchasing this phone for my wife.
I think Wildfire has soft keys like Desire HD?

Are you sure it was due to proxy settings i mean there is no issue with the wildfire as such? As my wife will be using with net with wifi only.

Need to check about this when next time i visit a shop.

Still that is good for a Android.

Currently prices have reduced to 13K.

Also can you provide your feedback about the screen displa. As eveywhere it has been said that it is not good. what is your take on it?
Yes Wildfire has soft keys like desire HD

WiFi do not have any problems in connecting but what i meant was unable to connect in office due to proxy settings,needed to know where proxy settings are located

i knowingly avoided feedback on screen display,for me its ok and can live with it ,but i don't want to say its perfect because of negative feedback everywhere

prices have been reduced!! thats great

Last edited by crazybiker46 : 24th January 2011 at 15:26.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:32   #1550
Senior - BHPian

@crazybiker: There was no problem at all for me to connect to Wi-Fi at home. (Security enabled)

Latitude app with GPS is cool. Yesterday I had to go and pick up my brother from railway station. We both came online in latitude and we could see each others location updated every minute or so. So I was able to start from home at the right time, and reached RS just in time. Our indicators on map came nearer and nearer and then I saw him walking towards the car which was parked on the road side.

I installed NFS shift in Desire and it runs like a charm. Smooth graphics and startup time is significantly less (~30 secs) compared to crappy N8 in which it takes about 2 minutes to load.

Last edited by clevermax : 24th January 2011 at 15:34.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:34   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Optimus One does have turn-by-turn navigation, and it is offline too. There is a built-in app called N-Drive with India map loaded for free.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:29   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have been hunting for an Android phone for quite some time.
Requirements were simple
1. GPS
Dedicated GPS required. I am going to install brut maps, and cache the maps on local storage so that I can use GPS without data connection, I do not intend to take data plan for GPS. So a requirement is that GPS should work in "flight mode" also
2. Accelerometer
There are some aps which can time 0-100 and G forces while cornering using the inbuild accelerometer. Some games also make use of it
3. Andoird 2.2
Need this for ability to store apps on SD card. So the phone should come with Android 2.2, or should be upgradable to 2.2
4. Geotagging of Images using inbuilt GPS
5. VGA video recording. 30fps preferrred. But camera is not a big deal for me
6. Okay LCD screen - I am not too hot about having the latest and greatest screen. Anything acceptable will do.
7. Good battery life - A 1500 mAH battery will surely help!
Tanveer, I also had more or less the same requirement but I was not too keen for a android. I was looking for Nokia C6 but it's not available in the market as of now.
Though among the androids except for the Samsung and Sony phones which I never considered, all of the phone from your list is the same which I considered. But finally picked up HTC wildfire this saturday.
Why I picked it up over LG optimus one;
1) Flip it over to silent
2) better camera and flash and even a flashlight function.
3) FM radio
4) Better looks
Optimus one has a great apps pre installed, which I realised, i can even install on my wildfire as it's an android phone too. .
I am happy, the wifi-connects well at home to my network plus other unsecured network around my place.
I downloaded videos from net and converted to .3gp format and it plays good on the phone.
Screen resolution specification might be less than optimus one but it doesn't make much of a difference for me. It looks good still.
I also considered Motorola XT502 but that was not available too.
I plan to install most of Optimus one's apps on my wildfire.
It cost me 13k+2% extra on card + 650 for 8GB memory card.
And yes, it's been 24hrs since I charged and 40% battery is still remaining. I used it for little video playback, radio, wifi, FB. The best thing about HTC senseUI is that you can integrate your google and FB contact together.

Hope it helps.

EDIT: updated to android 2.2.1 (froyo).touchscreen is very sensitive, so have to be careful.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 24th January 2011 at 16:36.
Old 24th January 2011, 18:59   #1553
Team-BHP Support

Even the Optimus One has a FM Radio. Though no flashlight.
However, Optimus One is 2000rs Cheaper.

Any idea about Xperia X10 mini Prio. It costs around 13000
Old 24th January 2011, 19:11   #1554
BHPian

@SUN
1. What is the price for this Asus A10?
I picked mine @ 15k
2. Does this phone get free updates for maps?
Yes free updates for lifetime for India Maps
3. What quality of maps are there for India? I am told MMI is the best for India.
Cannot comment as I have used Nokia maps only till date before Garmin's.
4. Does navigation work without use of GPRS/ data connection?
Yes works without the GPRS/Data Connection.

@tsk1979

I have not explored all the features of the GPS like the logs etc.
The Navteq maps are stored in the phone

@rajushank84
Optimus one has N-Drive as turn by turn navigation. But is a trial software which is available on the Android Market. N-Drive subscription costs 2.5 with free updates.
Old 24th January 2011, 21:38   #1555
Team-BHP Support

Today I went searching for Optimus One. The stores which had it yesterday for 11000 are out of stock.
Stores like LG brand stores are selling for 1500 more, ie. 12500

Guess I need to hunt at other places. I will be lucky if I find one for 11500 tomorrow.
I need to get one tomorrow, because I already applied for number portability with a GSM operator, so its just 4-5 days more, and then my CDMA will stop working!
Old 25th January 2011, 00:50   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Today I went searching for Optimus One. The stores which had it yesterday for 11000 are out of stock.
Stores like LG brand stores are selling for 1500 more, ie. 12500

Guess I need to hunt at other places. I will be lucky if I find one for 11500 tomorrow.
I need to get one tomorrow, because I already applied for number portability with a GSM operator, so its just 4-5 days more, and then my CDMA will stop working!

Thanveer, welcome to Android/GSM club.

With 12k range, you can consider samsung galaxy 3 too. its got a powerful processor ,RAM and better display are the plus points.
Old 25th January 2011, 02:50   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has great battery life too. But I am not sure about how good is the GPS. I do not want to stand and dance with phone pointed towards the sky just to get GPS reception.
You won't have to dance much. It seems to be pretty fast.

But don't daydream about battery life. No such thing on Androids. You might want to consider something like a Blackberry instead. One measly day is all you will get with moderate kinda use... unless you are prepared to turn everything off and use it only for calling and texting. With any significant GPS usage and stuff, it probably won't last thru half a day. But I guess you could get around that if you use a car charger.

If you aren't terribly keen only on Android, and are ok with ye olde Symbian, have you considered the Noka 5230/5235? Former comes with a car holder too. They are known to have very sensitive GPS receivers and are very good navigation devices overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Optimus one has a great apps pre installed, which I realised, i can even install on my wildfire as it's an android phone too. .
Gosh, how can you say that?! Some of the apps are an absolute nuisance and you can't even deactivate or uninstall them the normal way. LG had no business to put such rubbish apps on the phone and force you suffer indignities like Bollywood updates around the clock. If someone is buying an Android, he should be smart enough to get what he wants without LG's completely unwanted and lame help. The app advisor also is ABSOLUTE rubbish. In fact LG's own soafware is the purest rubbish on the phone, including their launcher. Another issue is that all of them will need updating the moment you buy your phone and the original versions will still be sitting in your phone occupying memory. Its a big annoyance from LG, but which can dealt with if you got the time and ability to hack away...

Last edited by Raccoon : 25th January 2011 at 03:02.
Old 25th January 2011, 10:37   #1558
Team-BHP Support

Well GPS chips are power hogs on every phone, Android or not. Infact, normally, everything, including WIFI and GPs will be off, only calling and texting which will give me a great battery life.

As for Samsung Galaxy 3, I am thinking of Optimus one because at 11200, it does seem to be a much better deal!
Old 25th January 2011, 11:12   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
@SUN
1. What is the price for this Asus A10?
I picked mine @ 15k
Thank you Deepak.

There are reports that Android based phones will be getting cheaper by March.
I will wait for a couple of months and then decide.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:21   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Thank you Deepak.

There are reports that Android based phones will be getting cheaper by March.
I will wait for a couple of months and then decide.
Sounds like related to "Budget 2011"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks