Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 17:06   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Has anyone any idea if the Samsung Galaxy 3 & 5 are capable of handling 3G network?
Old 28th January 2011, 17:38   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Has anyone any idea if the Samsung Galaxy 3 & 5 are capable of handling 3G network?
Galaxy 3 - Yes
Galaxy 5 - Probably Yes
Old 28th January 2011, 17:43   #1608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Frankly,i'm surprised people still consider the wildfire,"text is still readable" is not a plus point for a 14k phone.the samsung/lg/motorola optionsw are MUCH MUCH better.
And the screen resolution hits you when you realise that most of the games/apps on the android market do not run on the wildfire because of its odd resolution.its processor is sub-par too
Save your money and go for the optimus one-the current mid-range winner
Frankly, I am surprised that there is so much fuss over the gaming abilities and screen resolution of a phone. A phone is a phone, it's not a HD TV or a gaming console.
Now, this can be argued that, if you are paying this much why not have better specs but a phone is not bought on it's gaming abilites and HD resolution screen.
Frankly, the three things that tilted me towards HTC is
1)Flip it over to silent, a very handy feature when you are in important discussion and phone rings or when you get a unwanted call.
2) Has a flashlight function which is needed coz, it's the phone which is always close to you and you will reach for it the first thing in darkness.
3) It's a HTC.

I would play games on my phones and watch even videos on it, but that would only be for a very short time when I have nothing much to do or am waiting for someone or there is no electricity and i am getting bored. And these short time usage should not affect your decision if you are buying a phone for long term. That satisfaction should come when you hold it in your hand. For all other usage HTC wildfire offers more than other phones.
Getting too long ah!! I'll stop it here.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 28th January 2011 at 17:45.
Old 28th January 2011, 21:17   #1609
Senior - BHPian

^^^ If the flip to go silent feature was a big reason for you to choose the HTC Wildfire, pardon me for possibly making you regret that decision.

SilentHover

This small 20kb app will do it on any Android with a proximity sensor.

Note: Haven't tried it myself yet.

If your phone has a flash, I'm guessing there should be some app. that will enable it to be used as a flashlight too.

In case there are some who don't know - if this is a v imp. feature, there are many cheap feature phones that have this function. Don't need an Android for this.

Wildfire has the lowest screen resolution in the market right now. IMO HTC should have discontinued and replaced this model by now. Again, IMHO, if screen res. is not bothering you, you probably don't even need an Android. There are cheaper feature phones that will do all this basic stuff.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th January 2011 at 21:18.
Old 28th January 2011, 21:47   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I am not sure you might like these, still following apps I have it on my Nexus S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjabraham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Some here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...hlight=android

Both Mini and Mobile are available on Android.

cya
R
Thanks a lot guys, will check out these apps

I am loving the experience so far
Old 28th January 2011, 22:52   #1611
BHPian

Today got my GF a early birthday gift, a Xperia X10, I wanted to get her a HTC Desire Z but she LOVED the looks and I knew she wont use the functions much so, I got it. Costed 23900 at Alfa with Bill and Warranty and the cost without was 18000.

Will be putting up a small review by the end of the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-csc_0204x.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-csc_0201x.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-csc_0200x.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-csc_0202x.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-csc_0188x.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-csc_0190x.jpg  

Old 28th January 2011, 23:55   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody installed Google Sky Maps? It's a super cool app! Especially those who like to look at the sky and stars at night, will find it extremely useful. It has a time travel feature which lets you see the changes in the orientation of celestial objects over time from any time to any time.
Old 29th January 2011, 00:01   #1613
Distinguished - BHPian

That Xperia looks great! If only SE had not abandoned it!

Clevermax: Tried to play any HD videos on the Desire yet? How does it perform?
Old 29th January 2011, 09:16   #1614
Senior - BHPian

@dry: I am yet to play any true Hd video in this device... will try it today
Old 29th January 2011, 10:12   #1615
BHPian

so guys any word on the Moto DEFY yet? Im really interested in the phone just to dunk it in a glass of water and watch people's reactions
Old 29th January 2011, 10:15   #1616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ If the flip to go silent feature was a big reason for you to choose the HTC Wildfire, pardon me for possibly making you regret that decision.
Not at all, I don't regret my decision at all. The phone has been delivering for what I have bought it. First of all, I was not aware of silent hover app. So my decision at the time of buying my phone is still correct. I don't regret my decision one bit, yes but I would agree that if I had more moolah to spend, I would have got a different phone.

Quote:
If your phone has a flash, I'm guessing there should be some app. that will enable it to be used as a flashlight too.
In case there are some who don't know - if this is a v imp. feature, there are many cheap feature phones that have this function. Don't need an Android for this.
I know for a flashlight you don't need an android, but what the heck if you are getting it both together ?? Makes me happy!!

Quote:
Wildfire has the lowest screen resolution in the market right now. IMO HTC should have discontinued and replaced this model by now. Again, IMHO, if screen res. is not bothering you, you probably don't even need an Android. There are cheaper feature phones that will do all this basic stuff.
hehe!! Again the same thing, see I have the phone and I am using it and I am not aware if you have seen and experienced the Wildfire's screen personally. I have written it before, I'll repeat it here : I downloaded videos from Youtube, converted to .3gp format and then played on the phone. It was good to my eyes or probably my eyes are bad
I hope one day you can experience Android on your HDTV, if the screen resolution matters so much for android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Has anybody installed Google Sky Maps? It's a super cool app! Especially those who like to look at the sky and stars at night, will find it extremely useful. It has a time travel feature which lets you see the changes in the orientation of celestial objects over time from any time to any time.
I installed it yesterday, have not gone through all the features of it, but yes it is a super cool app.
Old 29th January 2011, 12:23   #1617
BHPian

Android addicts, just found a useful write up on Complete Guide for Google Android where it illustrates the strengths, tips & tricks of an Android Operating System

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-complete-guide-google-android-guide.jpg

The Complete Guide to Google Android - is about how to get the most out of your Android smartphone.

Google's Android smartphone is the ultimate communication tool – and one of the most desirable gadgets around. The Complete Guide To Google Android looks at the hardware and the software behind Android’s incredible success, featuring buying advice for the various versions of the smartphone OS and reviews of the latest handsets. This 120-page guide shows new smartphone owners how to get the most from their Android device, how to personalise it and how it can seamlessly become part of your everyday life. Featuring reviews of more than 50 of the best Android apps, The Complete Guide To Google Android is an essential companion for every Android owner

Here's the link for download:
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: the_complete_guide_to_google_android_-_2010.pdf

Hope this will be helpful for newbies like me.

Last edited by sajjt : 29th January 2011 at 12:32.
Old 29th January 2011, 12:56   #1618
BHPian

Anyone having an LG Optimus One P500 confirm if Adobe Flash is working in their browsers? When I bought the phone I knew that this phone wouldn't support Flash. But on the box it says

- Latest Android(TM) Platform Froyo 2.2
- 8.1cm HVGA Capacitive Touch LCD
- 3G Tethering - Wifi hotspot
- 3MP Camera
- Adobe Flash v10.1
- HSDPA 7.2

But I don't seem to get Flash working on any site.
Old 29th January 2011, 14:29   #1619
BHPian

Got the LG O1 yesterday
Here is a quick review

What I Like

+ High capacity Battery
+ AF camera with manual focusing option(Yes I mean what I said)
+ 18 fps VGA video
+ Multi touch
+ Big screen
+ Non Glossy body
+ Music quality
+ 600MHz CPU with 512 mb ram
+ Accelerometer & Proximity sensor
+ Office document editor
+ DivX/XviD support
+ Nokia E63 flipcase compatibility with minor modifications since
Filip case for LG O1 not available in market now

What I don’t like :(

- FM reception is poor
- Music Sound out put speaker is just above average
- little heavy
- Lots of pre loaded unwanted applications
- No flash

Last edited by Antonian : 29th January 2011 at 14:30.
Old 29th January 2011, 14:42   #1620
BHPian

Will someone please let me know if this will work on reliance/tata?

for 14999 its a SUPERB deal

eBay India: Best CDMA phone Android HTC DROID INCREDIBLE Reliance (item 160538841945 end time 05-Feb-2011 12:57:04 IST)

Most Viewed