Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 21:54   #1486
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I guess there is cyanogen rom available for desire. That makes desire best phone at 20k range.
Not sure about price of Galaxy S but even that's a good option. I am running Darky's ROM V8 and it has fixed almost everything for me (yes, including the GPS). That would be a very good option as well.
Old 20th January 2011, 22:15   #1487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Not sure about price of Galaxy S but even that's a good option. I am running Darky's ROM V8 and it has fixed almost everything for me (yes, including the GPS). That would be a very good option as well.
HW, There is considerable price difference between Desire and Galaxy S now. Read somewhere that Galaxy S is going to be stopped (or already stopped) in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I guess there is cyanogen rom available for desire. That makes desire best phone at 20k range.
Wow. What all additional features are available in this version? Any links?

EDIT: Got it

Last edited by clevermax : 20th January 2011 at 22:28.
Old 20th January 2011, 22:28   #1488
Distinguished - BHPian

DesireHD users,
Anybody used the new 'SenseUI' website? Which is supposed to track your phone, wipe out data remotely, divert calls to another number (in case you left it at home!), show real time location, display a message on screen if its lost(activated remotely), sound an alarm etc..

Any experiences? Are all the claimed services working in India?

What is the cyanogen rom? Some kind of custom rom? Won't the warranty be affected by its use? Just curious!

OT: clever bhai, am super anxiously waiting for you to get the Desire, so you can review it for us. With you, fabulous pictures are a given, one of the many reasons am awaiting your take on it!

Please do an official t-bhp kinda review!! Please! Please!

Last edited by Dry Ice : 20th January 2011 at 22:33.
Old 20th January 2011, 23:04   #1489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
What is the cyanogen rom? Some kind of custom rom? Won't the warranty be affected by its use? Just curious!

OT: clever bhai, am super anxiously waiting for you to get the Desire, so you can review it for us. With you, fabulous pictures are a given, one of the many reasons am awaiting your take on it!

Please do an official t-bhp kinda review!! Please! Please!
Ha ha I am just new to Smartphones! But I am already part of Android forums and researching on the net even without a phone! Guess I will have lots to do this weekend with the phone! I am getting 2 desires in the shipment - one for my brother.

I have already TD'ed Galaxy S, Galaxy 3, Desire, Wildfire, and an LG Optimus - all used by my colleagues. But not enough to write any reviews yet...

Will definitely write my review!!

Yes cyanogen is a custom rom.. Was reading its forum to see opinions of Desire users. Thanks to gkrishn for giving the info.

Last edited by clevermax : 20th January 2011 at 23:06.
Old 21st January 2011, 00:18   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
I use Perception 10.2 on mine (Galaxy S captivate). A galaxy S would probably meet all the requirements but I thing as of now, HTC phones have a better dev support.
Is there an offline GPS app for Android? I know the latest google maps can cache the routes and stuff but its not truly offline.
Old 21st January 2011, 01:38   #1491
BHPian

Galaxy S has been discontinued in india as of now due to the shortage of AMOLED screens,even the Nexus S is being shipped with a SLCD screen in lower markets
Old 21st January 2011, 02:16   #1492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Another day, another issue. My phone seems to be hell bent on giving trouble. Nowadays I'm facing issue with connecting to internet via Wi-Fi. Strangest thing is that all google related apps work(gmail, gtalk, google maps, google search etc) but nothing other than works. Whenever I try to open a website it just stops after sometime saying "Data connectivity problem. The server failed to communicate. Try again later." No facebook, no twitter, no yahoo mail, nada, nothing. This stupid thing is driving me nuts and there seems to be no solution for it. I've kind started hating google for making such crappy software.
All these days when I was cursing the phone for these internet access related issues, it was the router/modem which was the culprit. Connected the phone to the Wi-Fi at my Bangalore home and voila, everything just started working as normal. I kind of smelled this as even the Xtreamer was not able to access internet via that connection at my natives. I tried different settings in the router but it just didn't work. But I thought of waiting till I return to Bangalore and check with my wi-fi here. And now that I connected to the network here everything seems to be working as usual. So the blame is not on Google but on Nokia-Siemens (router at my natives). Strangely I've no idea how the Google related applications(google maps, mail, search etc) worked.
Old 21st January 2011, 07:15   #1493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Galaxy S has been discontinued in india as of now due to the shortage of AMOLED screens,even the Nexus S is being shipped with a SLCD screen in lower markets
Not only Galaxy S and Nexus, but Desires also come with an S-LCD now. I don't think one should be worried about it much because the screen is good enough.
Old 21st January 2011, 09:40   #1494
Distinguished - BHPian

Galaxy S always had super amoled. Same goes with nexus S. Although in Russia/Europe Nexus S might come with super LCD. In India Nexus S will be coming with SAmoled only as far as I know. Here is a very good comparison between all the different screens out there in the market today. Mobile phone display mega shootout: The full picture - GSMArena.com
Old 21st January 2011, 10:38   #1495
BHPian

If there is shortage of Super Amoled then what about those who have already got it and if it goes kaput after some days ? A dealer friend of mine had sold Wave I and the person to whom him he sold accidentally dropped his cell and broke the screen. The quotation he got from Samsung service center for Super Amoled was Rs 13 k Not sure about the actual price, but its way too high or may be Samsung service center making money.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 21st January 2011 at 10:39.
Old 21st January 2011, 10:59   #1496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Means your home Wi-Fi is not secure? If you are living in an apartment or if you have close neighbors it is not a good idea! If you don't like to make it secure, you could add a mac address filtering so that only those devices known to you can connect.
No-no, home wi-fi is secured and works good. but sadly that's not the case with public wi-fi.

basically, if i am told to enter password while connecting to a wi-fi which is how usually home networks are, the connection is successful. but if the secured browsing is to be done through browser, its trouble for my mobile as it gives data connectivity error.

2 recent problems was at Mumbai International Airport where i was required to enter my information and a sms was sent to my mobile. Even after entering the code and everything correctly i was not able to get it working.

Similar the example of a hotel i mentioned in my last post. Same problem since it required me entering my room number and last name through browser. From there on, it said cannot open page, data connectivity problem.

the third happens at university, where i have to register my id through browser.

hope you get the drift.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:20   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Thanks, will check this out and update.
This problem is still not solved. Guys any pointers will be appreciated, as am still not able to play songs in my car through the USB.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:37   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
but if the secured browsing is to be done through browser, its trouble for my mobile as it gives data connectivity error.
I also had faced an issue with secured browsing over a shared internet connection over Wi-Fi (Ad-hoc, secured). The secure pages just didn't load. I could not figure out what the issue was.
Old 21st January 2011, 13:30   #1499
Team-BHP Support

@Clevermax, as long as your are moving in same circle its fine CDMA GSM does not matter for MNP
Speaking of desire, does it shoot 640x480 at 30FPS, I thought it shoots only 15FPS
Old 21st January 2011, 13:59   #1500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@Clevermax, as long as your are moving in same circle its fine CDMA GSM does not matter for MNP
Speaking of desire, does it shoot 640x480 at 30FPS, I thought it shoots only 15FPS
The specs say that WVGA, 720×480 Pixels, 30 fps. May be it was lower on previous versions. (Not sure)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks