Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2011, 14:31   #1441
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The Nexus S and Desire do not have HD video recording capabilities. Desire HD does have it, so its worth the upgrade from Desire in addition to the other features. But why has Samsung left out HD recording in Nexus S which is succeeding the Galaxy S? The Galaxy S didn't have a camera flash which is corrected in the Nexus S. Some weird thinking on Samsung's part here. They make sure that one feature is always left out.
So that they can have a never version in the future including that feature
Old 18th January 2011, 14:35   #1442
BHPian

^^Nexus S has many more features left out as compared to Galaxy S such as Gorilla glass to protect against minor scratches, FM Radio, etc and matches Galaxy S as far as hardware specifications are concerned (no improvement to processor speed, RAM, etc.).

Camera flash in a mobile phone is merely ornamental and all mobile phones captures below average photos under dim light conditions irrespective of the kind of flash they possess, thus lack of flash is a livable feature than necessity.

Strange as it may seem but the predecessor is better than successor in terms of features, factor to consider here is the price. Only way Nexus S can be successful is if it undercuts the current price of Galaxy by at least Rs.5,000. Otherwise, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc is the Android to watch out for.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:35   #1443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
So that they can have a never version in the future including that feature
Very true but to leave out a feature already present in the previous version of the phone makes little sense.
Old 18th January 2011, 14:37   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am so confused here.
Need to buy a phone for myself within 15k budget. Though I would like to have an android but the value offered by Nokia c6 is not letting me decide. The C6 is making a hard case for itself with free ovi maps, ovi music, qwerty keyboard, touch screen,secondary camera for video calls and nokia battery, etc.
Among android i am fixed between HTC wildfire and Lg optimus 1, but these don't have secondary camera, among the two i am inclined more towards HTC for it's better looks and better spec camera.
I would list my priorities here
Navigation maps
Nice touchscreen,
Good camera
Decent battery life(more than a day's life)
Music,FM
qwerty keyboard(good to have/desirable)
Nice set of applications
Ms office(editable)
wifi/3g
and others .
Help me decide. As I my rokr E6 will be gone by this weekend. have to replace it by then.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 18th January 2011 at 14:41.
Old 18th January 2011, 15:19   #1445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Nexus S and Desire do not have HD video recording capabilities. Desire HD does have it, so its worth the upgrade from Desire in addition to the other features.
I heard that Desire can record HD with 2.2 running in it.. Not sure though. Anyway I don't see much point in bragging about HD capabilities of a mobile, while all it has is the fixed small lens and a small sensor inside. HD done in a DSLR and HD recorded in a mobile - both are quite different.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th January 2011 at 15:22.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:28   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I heard that Desire can record HD with 2.2 running in it.. Not sure though. Anyway I don't see much point in bragging about HD capabilities of a mobile, while all it has is the fixed small lens and a small sensor inside. HD done in a DSLR and HD recorded in a mobile - both are quite different.
Agree with you on the DSLR vs phone part but then its not practical to always carry a DSLR for those impromptu video moments. A mobile is handy and if it has a HD feature, why not? I would rather use a stand alone handycam for ultimate HD videos, not even an DSLR.

I don't think 2.2 can fix the (lack of) HD in the Desire. Experia X10 did get the HD feature added when it was upgraded from 1.6 to 2.1; so I could be wrong about the Desire.

Interestingly, the Nexus S runs on 2.3 and still does not have HD video capabilities.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:30   #1447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Only if they had provided a better battery in the Desire HD, it would have made sense. With the bigger 4.3" screen and normal LCD display, HTC have provided a 1230 mAh battery in the HD which is disappointing. The Desire has a 1400 mAh battery. Can't understand HTC's logic here.
I am sorry but I somehow managed to overlook the battery specs. I almost went and bought it. This is just cheating on HTC's part. They advertise all these cool features and then do not have the common sense of backing it up with a good battery? And that too when even 1500 mAh batteries are not all that great. How can they cut on that even more.
Please help me understand this. A company does invest in R&D right before coming up with a flagship model. How do they expect there phone to sell if they dont even get the basics right?

I wish every company could give us an option of buying a better battery. Make it just like memory cards. This phone can support batteries upto this strength. Is this possible or its just me dreaming?

Last edited by drmohitg : 18th January 2011 at 17:33.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:44   #1448
BHPian

To all,
I have a samsung galaxy I5801 that is glaxy 3

is there any upgrade available for its andro 2.1 firmware?
I tried upgrading via samsung kies it says this firmware cannot be upgraded.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:52   #1449
Senior - BHPian

i have a galaxy s.

i have wi-fi at home. initially while connecting to the wifi it connected successfully 2-3 times. But the last time i tried connecting i am getting unsuccessful message when it tries to obtain IP address.

What could be the reason? Other phones and laptops are working fine on same wi-fi network.

Please advice. i tried restarting phone, re entering password and stuff. but no luck.
Old 18th January 2011, 19:52   #1450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i have a galaxy s.

i have wi-fi at home. initially while connecting to the wifi it connected successfully 2-3 times. But the last time i tried connecting i am getting unsuccessful message when it tries to obtain IP address.

What could be the reason? Other phones and laptops are working fine on same wi-fi network.

Please advice. i tried restarting phone, re entering password and stuff. but no luck.
settings>wireless&networks>wi-fi settings>"press menu key">advanced>check on use static IP and use the values that your ISP provided.
Old 18th January 2011, 19:55   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree with you on the DSLR vs phone part but then its not practical to always carry a DSLR for those impromptu video moments. A mobile is handy and if it has a HD feature, why not? I would rather use a stand alone handycam for ultimate HD videos, not even an DSLR.
Agree on this. It's always good to have the feature. But I won't make it a big criteria for selecting or ditching a particular model - just because it can or cannot record HD video. Anyhow, you can't have good optical zoom, smooth bokeh in the background, or even a less noisy video in low light with your HD capable mobile phone. We can just say that it's an HD video.

As you said, me too will use a handycam or DSLR to shoot good quality HD videos if my prime requirement is to have HD video.
Old 18th January 2011, 20:00   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Here's the comparison.

Just a basic question, pardon my lack of knowledge in Android world..
When they say 2.1 and upgradeable to 2.2, what does it really mean? What makes it impossible or difficult to upgrade again to 2.3?
I think it's because the upgrades are created by the phone manufacturer and they may chose not to provide upgrades for a phone (e.g. recent case from sony). If you were able to jailbreak the phone, you should be able to upgrade it (to a buggy, unsupported, generic, risky third party OS) unless the new OS has hardware requirements that are not met by the phone set.
Old 18th January 2011, 23:25   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am sorry but I somehow managed to overlook the battery specs. I almost went and bought it. This is just cheating on HTC's part. They advertise all these cool features and then do not have the common sense of backing it up with a good battery? And that too when even 1500 mAh batteries are not all that great. How can they cut on that even more.
Please help me understand this. A company does invest in R&D right before coming up with a flagship model. How do they expect there phone to sell if they dont even get the basics right?

I wish every company could give us an option of buying a better battery. Make it just like memory cards. This phone can support batteries upto this strength. Is this possible or its just me dreaming?
Check this: HTC Desire HD vs. HTC Desire - GSMArena.com

The Desire HD is supposed to last longer than the Desire although its battery is rated lower. It is common that next generations of a product become more power efficient, giving similar or higher battery backup with a battery of lower capacity.
Old 19th January 2011, 07:38   #1454
Senior - BHPian

^ What makes Desire HD last longer than Desire? (Or Consume less power?) Different processor? Is HD upgradeable to Gingerbread?

Last edited by clevermax : 19th January 2011 at 07:39.
Old 19th January 2011, 09:42   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Check this: HTC Desire HD vs. HTC Desire - GSMArena.com

The Desire HD is supposed to last longer than the Desire although its battery is rated lower. It is common that next generations of a product become more power efficient, giving similar or higher battery backup with a battery of lower capacity.
While the comparison is encouraging in favour of Desire HD, I would consider those numbers with a pinch of salt. The HD does have a different processor (MSM8255) which is supposed to consume slightly less power. But those battery life numbers on the site seem to be highly over-optimistic. 4.3" vs 3.7" screen, normal LCD vs S-LCD; do you think it'll still have such a long battery life with only a slightly different processor? That would be a major breakthrough in mobile phone technology then.

If you read user comments under the Desire HD section, you'll notice a lot of people cribbing about the poor battery life. I personally like the HD but the battery is the only point that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks