Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2011, 17:54   #1411
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Anyone upgraded HTC Legend to 2.2 froyo ?

After Upgrade, I feel the phone has slower response to touch, hangs sometimes, and does not let you answer a call etc.,

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

thanks
My Legend seemed to get slower after a few days of the update to Froyo. Many people have suggested factory resetting the phone or just turning the USB de-bugging on to improve the performance. I don't know how the former helps but after I did it seems better. I have not factory reset my phone yet!

BTW, I have never had problems answering calls but the phone hangs once in a while.
Old 15th January 2011, 00:16   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am on the lookout for a new phone - definitely Android!

I am a display freak and I want the best display in that segment. Which displays I should be looking at? S-LCD? AMOLED? or both?

EDIT: Anyone has experience buying from flipkart.com? Will I get a warranty and proper bill? Any other things which I should be concerned about?
I am also looking to buy an Android device and the prices for HTC Desire, Desire HD at Flipkart are really quite lower than anywhere else.

For e.g. Desire HD is at 27.3 at Flipkart while its prices at close to 40K on ebay.

So my question, if the website reliable enough to buy from?

Thanks
Old 15th January 2011, 00:28   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am also looking to buy an Android device and the prices for HTC Desire, Desire HD at Flipkart are really quite lower than anywhere else.

For e.g. Desire HD is at 27.3 at Flipkart while its prices at close to 40K on ebay.

So my question, if the website reliable enough to buy from?

Thanks
Since you are from Bombay, I suggest you to check Alfa at Irla. 26,500 was the price when I purchased it with warranty and bill (without warranty is cheaper by 2k). My friend purchased it from Flipkart and he was committed a delivery within 2-3 days. It took 8 days after which he lost his patience and purchased from the market at the same price.

Last edited by prateekm : 15th January 2011 at 00:29.
Old 15th January 2011, 00:56   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Since you are from Bombay, I suggest you to check Alfa at Irla. 26,500 was the price when I purchased it with warranty and bill (without warranty is cheaper by 2k). My friend purchased it from Flipkart and he was committed a delivery within 2-3 days. It took 8 days after which he lost his patience and purchased from the market at the same price.
Oh great! Thanks for the tip Prateek, will have a look at the phone in Irla as well.
Can you share your experience with your phone? Which other phone did you consider before buying the HD.

I think at this point, this phone entice me the most. Not quite sure about the Samsung Galaxy S.

Edit: Prateek, hows the earpiece volume of the HD? My current Nokia N81 has very low earpiece volume that makes it impossible to use in crowded places. Hope thats not the case here.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 15th January 2011 at 01:01.
Old 15th January 2011, 01:02   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We can't technically say AMOLED always consumes less power. For the same screen resolution for a 2.4" display, if the screen displays all white pixels, AMOLED consumes about 330% more power than LCD.

Attachment 483350

As the display goes from white to something which contains more and more darker pixels, the power consumption of AMOLED reduces and goes below that of LCD while LCD's consumption stays almost at the same level. A typical desktop with black background and few icons in an android phone will make the AMOLED consume about 40-50% of what is consumed by LCD. So on an average, it ends up consuming about 60% of that of LCD screens with normal usage.

If you use internet a lot, battery will drain as fast as that in LCD - due to white (or lighter colors) being the background color of many websites. This also explains the black themes many Android phones come shipped with.

Information from a presentation which compares both technologies.

Now this was against LCD. I read somewhere that S-LCD consumes less power than older LCD screens.

Just higher resolution? What about colors? Need to do some research on this as well..
add to this the power consumption by the processor, radio (must be the largest share) etc and the gains may be minimal.
Old 15th January 2011, 02:55   #1416
BHPian

I made two brief reviews :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2199962

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2209393

About the earphones, it's great. It's loud and the SQ is good too. Add to that Dolby & SRS Surround sound, it's great for watching movies

Last edited by prateekm : 15th January 2011 at 03:03.
Old 15th January 2011, 10:01   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just higher resolution? What about colors? Need to do some research on this as well..
There are many side by side comparison videos of S-LCD Vs LCD Vs AMOLED Vs S-AMOLED. Here is one:

S-LCD is almost there, but can't beat S-AMOLED! Ordinary LCD is definitely the loser here. Interesting to see S-LCD beats AMOLED in some extreme viewing angle tests! The reviewer was also mentioning that the S-LCD has more realistic colors and AMOLED is over saturated in green etc.

So, as Amit said, I am seriously thinking about the Desire. 3K - 4K less, S-LCD instead of AMOLED but it's not gonna hurt much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
add to this the power consumption by the processor, radio (must be the largest share) etc and the gains may be minimal.
Yes, The power consumed by everything except display stays same, and that comparison was against LCD. S-LCD consumes less power than LCD. Overall, the power consumption isn't a significant difference between the two. After calling up HTC store, they are saying that the new S-LCD consumes less power than AMOLED; I didn't quite believe it because they have to sell new phones without AMOLED anyhow.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th January 2011 at 10:16.
Old 15th January 2011, 18:19   #1418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
I made two brief reviews :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2199962

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2209393

About the earphones, it's great. It's loud and the SQ is good too. Add to that Dolby & SRS Surround sound, it's great for watching movies
Thanks Prateek, I read those reviews.
And err, I meant earpiece speaker :-) from where you can hear the person calling :-)
Old 16th January 2011, 11:06   #1419
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Clever, when are you planning to buy this? I am very keen on the Desire especially after the price drop.

Will it breach the sub-20k mark?
Can't help it, human nature, Ye dil maange more!!(for less )
Old 16th January 2011, 14:23   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Hey Clever, when are you planning to buy this? I am very keen on the Desire especially after the price drop.
Will it breach the sub-20k mark?
Can't help it, human nature, Ye dil maange more!!(for less )
I am ordering it tomorrow. The current price is 22.6K, yes it will definitely go below 20K mark in future, but can't wait! I think it is the most VFM Android at the moment with 1Ghz processor.
Old 16th January 2011, 15:53   #1421
BHPian

Got the news from Croma that Galaxy S has been discontinued. Can anyone confirm this? The phone was doing well and its a shocker that Samsung chose to discontinue this. The Nexus S does not have HD video recording which is a bit disappointing.

Also managed to check out the HTC Desire HD. The phone looked brilliant. Felt good in the hand and was running on 2.2. The battery rating is a bit low at 1200 odd mAh and no AMOLED screen either.
Old 16th January 2011, 17:37   #1422
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes the samsung galaxy s is being discontinued atleast in India. I have been told this by almos half a dozen dealers here in Delhi because I was on the look out to buy one too. One of them was even ready to show me a mail sent to him by samsung stating the same. The nexus s is coming in as its replacement though I doubt at what price will they launch it. At 24k Nexus S sounds like an awesome deal to me.

Anyone using a HTC Desire HD here? If yes can you rate the phone's battery life? With moderate to heave usage will it last 1 full day atleast?

Also there are a few last pieces left here and there of the Galaxy S. Does it make sense to pick one up now at 27k? Or rather choose between Nexus S and Desire HD?

Last edited by drmohitg : 16th January 2011 at 17:43.
Old 16th January 2011, 17:39   #1423
BHPian

I waited almost a month for SGS, alas its not coming anymore.

Need help in deciding between HD and Nexus S. Is it worth waiting for Nexus or shall I go with HD ?
Old 16th January 2011, 20:10   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Also managed to check out the HTC Desire HD. The phone looked brilliant. Felt good in the hand and was running on 2.2. The battery rating is a bit low at 1200 odd mAh and no AMOLED screen either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Y
Anyone using a HTC Desire HD here? If yes can you rate the phone's battery life? With moderate to heave usage will it last 1 full day atleast?
Also there are a few last pieces left here and there of the Galaxy S. Does it make sense to pick one up now at 27k? Or rather choose between Nexus S and Desire HD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
I waited almost a month for SGS, alas its not coming anymore.

Need help in deciding between HD and Nexus S. Is it worth waiting for Nexus or shall I go with HD ?
What's all these fuzz about Desire HD? What makes it so different than Desire? Desire HD has LCD screen but Desire has S-LCD screen. Is it really worth paying that extra for Desire HD?

Last edited by clevermax : 16th January 2011 at 20:15.
Old 16th January 2011, 21:44   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Thanks Prateek, I read those reviews.
And err, I meant earpiece speaker :-) from where you can hear the person calling :-)
Ah, my bad. Yes, the ear-piece is also good and it's loud enough. Never had problems with that.

Quote:
What's all these fuzz about Desire HD? What makes it so different than Desire? Desire HD has LCD screen but Desire has S-LCD screen. Is it really worth paying that extra for Desire HD?
Not only that, for 4k you get the following features extra as compared to the Desire:

4.3" Screen (v/s 3.7" screen)
768MB RAM (v/s 512MB RAM)
8GB card included (v/s 4GB)
720p HD Video Recording
8mp Camera (v/s 5mp cam)
Dolby Mobile and SRS virtual surround sound
DLNA
Dual LED Flash

Quote:
Yeap, I have the following settings enabled and it lasts from 7am - 10pm and still 20-30% battery life remains :

Accelerometer off.
3G off.
Wi-fi off unless in use.
Brightness 20%
Bluetooth and GPS off unless needed.

Last edited by prateekm : 16th January 2011 at 21:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks