Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2011, 17:11   #1276
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hey

As AbhayShanu suggested, I am here!

Basically, I am looking for something <12k coming with a Qwerty, GPS, and should look good (build quality). The camera isn't really much of a requirement.
I was looking at the Galaxy 551, I don't think its available in stores yet (just flipkart). It ticks most boxes, just that I don't really like the look of the phone.
As far as the OS is concerned, I like the freedom offered by Android. I have never used one, but would love to.
I have a few concerns: If I pick up the Galaxy 551 with froyo would I be eligible for any subsequent upgrades in OS? Is there any smartphone offering gingerbread at <12k?
How easy is it to configure my office mail on the Android?

The other phones I am looking at are:
- E63 : Super VFM. Outdated OS, right?. No GPS.
- C6: I like the looks. Not sure of the OS, reviews indicate poor build quality.

Open to suggestion.

One question: I am a somewhat heavy texter, not going with a Qwerty does not make sense, right?

Thanks guys!

EDIT: One more thing, will the price for the 551 fall once its available elsewhere as well? How low can we expect it to go? I have till February to pick it up.
Old 1st January 2011, 17:47   #1277
BHPian

If you read up, I had checked out the 551, the OmniaPro, the optimas, the X10 mini pro, the X8, the C6, the C7, the Vivaz Pro, the X10 and the Desire HD.

In the sub 15k catagory the OmniaPro was a clear winner, has everything the 551 does but has a bigger 3.5" AMOLED screen and 5 MP cam, but then it lacks with the Windows 6.1 Operating system. The C6 is nice, has a decent camera, responsive touchscreen and a good qwerty key pad, but the keypad of the OmniaPro was the best, it was big and the buttons were big too. The worst qwerty of them all was of the vivaz pro, quite small.

If you are looking at the Andriods, then the best are 551 and X8, but as you test alot, that rules out the qwerty-less X8.

These my opinions and using my hands, which are a bit big.
Old 1st January 2011, 20:07   #1278
Senior - BHPian

I don't know exactly how much the Omnia Pro retails for, but I think it is beyond my budget. Actually 12k is also after a stretch, so 15k would be absolutely impossible.

I read about this thing called Swype, does it really work better than physical keypads? If so, what phones come equipped with it? Would you recommend this as a better alternative to a Qwerty?
Also, could you clarify on the possibility of updating the OS post purchase?

Thanks!
Old 1st January 2011, 22:10   #1279
BHPian

If you get the hang of it,swype is much faster than a physical keyboard

The optimus one doesn't have swype pre-installed but you can download it from the android market

At 11.5k on ebay. optimus one is the BEST android you can buy under 15k.the Galaxy 3/551 are inferior specced and not as VFM.add to it that samsung is VERY slow with official updates
Old 1st January 2011, 22:36   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Okay this clarifies a lot. Thanks a lot for this.

Is this app free? As in, can it be downloaded for free from the Market?

You mentioned official updates, does this mean one can update their phone by unofficial means as well?
Old 1st January 2011, 22:43   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Okay this clarifies a lot. Thanks a lot for this.

Is this app free? As in, can it be downloaded for free from the Market?

You mentioned official updates, does this mean one can update their phone by unofficial means as well?
Yes,you can root your phone and get all the updates months before the official updates,the android community is very large and has plenty of forums dedicated to it,XDA is currently the most popular

Swype is free,download it through your computer

And for people who find the Galaxy 3 display too average but still want to stick to samsung. check out the "spica" series with AMOLED screens and 800 mhz processors.you'll be able to get huge discounts for these if you find someone with stock
Old 1st January 2011, 22:54   #1282
Senior - BHPian

I am no Samsung loyalist, so I would prefer going for the phone which gives me the best deal.

Is there any cheaper option as well (typical human selfishness!)?

Are you a Swype user? Do we have any here?

Thanks a lot for all your help mate!
Old 1st January 2011, 23:19   #1283
BHPian

Well a good budget Android is the Videocon zues at 10K, the specs are similar to the optimus one with the following additions/freebies

5 Megapixel Camera with LED Flash and 24FPS Video Recording
Two 1230 mAH Batteries
Wall Charger
Car Charger
Carrying Pouch
8GB micro-SD
Old 1st January 2011, 23:22   #1284
Distinguished - BHPian

EssYouWe I am also going to buy an android device in this month. It would mostly be the Samsung Galaxy S. Anyways coming to the point, I was reading your post above and you mentioned that you are a heavy texter. Even I have the same doubt. On an average I do exchange 50+ Sms every day. I wanted to know are touchscreen phones durable? I would surely want to keep my phone for atleast 2 years.
Old 1st January 2011, 23:32   #1285
BHPian

okay guy!
News:
I can get the Dell Streak from US @ $400 (+ $24 taxes + $0.99 BT headphone)
Unlocked phone deal!! ($180 off !!)
I am very happy with the deal.

Any feeds on anything else we can get in the deal. (actually my friend will be getting 2 Dell Streaks, the other one is for him.)

Any last check to be done?

One more thing, the website says that its a 1.6 Device and 2.2 upgrade is OTA on first use (that's Ok, right?)

thanks

Ace.
Old 1st January 2011, 23:34   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
On an average I do exchange 50+ Sms every day. I wanted to know are touchscreen phones durable? I would surely want to keep my phone for atleast 2 years.
smses are no different than emails, facebook updates, tweets, etc etc. If anything the average smartphone user, does much more than 50 smses I have been using touchscreens for 7-8 years now (from the very first htc phones rebranded and sold by O2 XDA) and have never had any issues!
Old 2nd January 2011, 00:08   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
EssYouWe I am also going to buy an android device in this month. It would mostly be the Samsung Galaxy S. Anyways coming to the point, I was reading your post above and you mentioned that you are a heavy texter. Even I have the same doubt. On an average I do exchange 50+ Sms every day. I wanted to know are touchscreen phones durable? I would surely want to keep my phone for atleast 2 years.
I have no long term experience of using touchscreens for texting. But I have noticed our uncanny ability to adjust to even the most inconvenient keypads with some practice.
I also have very similar concerns. It would be great if any Swype users could compare virtual and physical keypads.

Buying a phone can be almost as bad as buying a car, if not worse! At least you know something about cars. :P
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:41   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
okay guy!
News:
I can get the Dell Streak from US @ $400 (+ $24 taxes + $0.99 BT headphone)
Unlocked phone deal!! ($180 off !!)
I am very happy with the deal.

Any feeds on anything else we can get in the deal. (actually my friend will be getting 2 Dell Streaks, the other one is for him.)

Any last check to be done?

One more thing, the website says that its a 1.6 Device and 2.2 upgrade is OTA on first use (that's Ok, right?)

thanks

Ace.
Which website are you buying from?
Old 2nd January 2011, 07:26   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Which website are you buying from?
dell website only, just the US website.

care,

Ace.
Old 2nd January 2011, 08:05   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
I have no long term experience of using touchscreens for texting. But I have noticed our uncanny ability to adjust to even the most inconvenient keypads with some practice.
I also have very similar concerns. It would be great if any Swype users could compare virtual and physical keypads.

Buying a phone can be almost as bad as buying a car, if not worse! At least you know something about cars. :P
I was using a Nokia N82 for last 2 years and now i am using the Samsung Galaxy S from a month now. Although the phone is awesome as well as swype, my text/sms usage has reduced a lot. Maybe because i am used to hold the phone and text with the same hand on the N82 and with the Galaxy S i need to use 2 hands, one to hold and the other to swype.

Btw how many of you find the Galaxy S too slippery? it has already slipped and fallen twice in a month in my hands. Also i wish it came with a call and disconnect button. I hate to answer the calls by swyping on the screen.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks