Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 11:15   #1321
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Not sure, but are there any double DIN adaptors where you can plug a 7" or less tablet in dash? Looks to me like it would be ideal device which can be used at home as media centre and in car plugging it in to a amplifier.
Old 5th January 2011, 12:13   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
Not rooting because of Warranty issues.
Hi curiosity,
Rooting will void the warranty, but if you ever need to fo Samsung repair because of any non-working hardware you can always flash the original firmware from Odin so Samsung will never know you rooted your phone.

The worst case scenario which happens is you brick your phone, in that case the phone wont even turn on or go into recovery so Samsung would never know you rooted your device.

As long as you can enter download mode you have never bricked your phone, also just make sure when (and if) you root the phone you do not loose your IMEI as there is an option in Odin which results in loss of IMEI which for the SGS cannot be restored as of now.

Would suggest you to root the phone and enjoy the custom roms as they are way better than the stock ones from Samsung.
Old 5th January 2011, 14:55   #1323
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Hi
Also are you on roaming because you need to set permission separately use of Data while roaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchy_cool View Post
Hi Mik,

It would be great if you can post the APN settings you are using for Idea, I have some friends who use Idea gprs and maybe we can compare the settings.
Thanks for the replies. No i wasn't on roaming. Today i got another setting from Idea and that did the trick.
Previous APN Setting was

idea web
imis
proxy x.x.x.x

Browser worked fine but not the android apps.

The new APN settings given for idea are

idea internet
internet

Now all the apps are working fine

Pretty confusing for the newbie mobile upgrader like me, but now, the Optimus Prime(one) is up and rolling.
Old 6th January 2011, 11:56   #1324
BHPian

help!!
htc desire hd vs nexus s

i was waiting for the desire hd since a month and now nexus s is here with the beautiful amoled display ,
how does the desire hd's super lcd fare with the amoled of samsung? currently the display is the only drawback of the desire hd and *** probably .
Is the amoled screen worth giving up on
1-hd video recording
2- 3 more megapixels
3- 216 mb of ram
4-0.3 inches of screen
5- a few thousand rupees.
6-2 weeks
Old 6th January 2011, 12:15   #1325
BHPian

^^^wait for few more days, for CES to complete. you will be even more confused.

with in your option, go for nexus s, if you can get it. at the minimum the updates with quicker.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:40   #1326
BHPian

Sony Ericsson has announced the Xperia Arc phone with mouth watering specs.

. 4.2" Reality Display with Bravia Mobile engine
. 8.1 MP EXMOR back-illuminated sensors for enhanced low light photos
. Super slim. Just 8.7 mm thickness.
. Android 2.3 upgradable to 3.0

Xperia

If priced right, this phone has the potential to turn the fortunes for SE.

Last edited by donzerus : 6th January 2011 at 12:41. Reason: typo
Old 6th January 2011, 13:37   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post

Xperia

Don't know about performance, but is one great looking phone. Any idea about an India launch?
Old 6th January 2011, 15:33   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Don't know about performance, but is one great looking phone. Any idea about an India launch?
The global launch is in 3 months. It should reach India a month later.
Old 6th January 2011, 16:23   #1329
BHPian

^^ Does anyone know the approx cost?
Old 6th January 2011, 16:49   #1330
BHPian

Purchased HTC Desire HD from Alfa Store on 31st December for 26,750. Nice cellphone, heard there were battery life problems but for dad's use, it easily lasts for 24 hours, so no problems about that. The video/camera quality is awesome. Planning to root it today.

EDIT : Any idea till when can I expect Gingerbread to be provided by HTC?

Last edited by prateekm : 6th January 2011 at 17:00.
Old 6th January 2011, 16:59   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post

Xperia

after what sony did to its xperia x10 customers in terms of android updates, i doubt if people will buy Sony. You can't keep customers on android 1.6 while everyone else is on 2.2 and then update them to 2.1 while others are almost on 2.3!
Whatever the specs, I doubt I am going to get a sony android phone!
Old 6th January 2011, 17:02   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Purchased HTC Desire HD from Alfa Store on 31st December for 26,750. Nice cellphone, heard there were battery life problems but for dad's use, it easily lasts for 24 hours, so no problems about that. The video/camera quality is awesome. Planning to root it today.
Hey congrats on the new purchase! Just wanted to check if you kept Samsung galaxy S in your comparison list? If yes, then any specific reason didnt go for it. In India I heard every one preferring Samsung over HTC, for obvious reasons . So any reason you picked HD over galaxy just wanna check if I am missing on a feature that is not in samsung.

Actually I am totally confused which one to buy among HTC Desire/HTC Desire HD/Samsung. Went to Alfa couple of weeks back, HD had not launched then so DESIRE was for 25700 & Samsung Galaxy S for 27250. Was not planning to spend that much at that point, but now kind of made my mind to strech a little. Though I still think HTC Desire is a better value buy at 23K (my friend checked out its 23k now). I am suppose to finalize by this weekend. Prateek/Anyone please help me decide. Plan to keep it for 2 years atleast and the only reason skeptical to pay 27K, strech more and can get a decent config laptop! So cant get over this reason and spend

BTW you visited Alfa lately, can you let me know the latest price of these phones?
Old 6th January 2011, 17:46   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
after what sony did to its xperia x10 customers in terms of android updates, i doubt if people will buy Sony. You can't keep customers on android 1.6 while everyone else is on 2.2 and then update them to 2.1 while others are almost on 2.3!
Whatever the specs, I doubt I am going to get a sony android phone!
yes. you are right. hope they've learnt from their past mistakes and don't repeat it again and not to forget the high premium they charged for their phones. Xperia X10 running on 1.6 was much costlier than 2.1 running Galaxy S for a long time
Old 6th January 2011, 17:59   #1334
BHPian

^^ i don't think its gonna be that easy to win customer trust back. Whats the guarantee that sony won't do it again with the xperia arc and what happens to the xperia x10 customers now that arc is gonna be getting all the loving?
They don't even mention on their site clearly what android OS, the xperia arc will have. Sure bravia engine and hdmi port is tempting, but not enough to tempt to sit on gingerbread while everyone is enjoying honeycomb!
I made one of my friends get the x10 when it was launched, but never again will I recommend sony again!
Old 6th January 2011, 18:26   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailmishra View Post
Hey congrats on the new purchase! Just wanted to check if you kept Samsung galaxy S in your comparison list? If yes, then any specific reason didnt go for it. In India I heard every one preferring Samsung over HTC, for obvious reasons . So any reason you picked HD over galaxy just wanna check if I am missing on a feature that is not in samsung.

Actually I am totally confused which one to buy among HTC Desire/HTC Desire HD/Samsung. Went to Alfa couple of weeks back, HD had not launched then so DESIRE was for 25700 & Samsung Galaxy S for 27250. Was not planning to spend that much at that point, but now kind of made my mind to strech a little. Though I still think HTC Desire is a better value buy at 23K (my friend checked out its 23k now). I am suppose to finalize by this weekend. Prateek/Anyone please help me decide. Plan to keep it for 2 years atleast and the only reason skeptical to pay 27K, strech more and can get a decent config laptop! So cant get over this reason and spend

BTW you visited Alfa lately, can you let me know the latest price of these phones?
Well, this phone was for dad and he never considered the Galaxy S, but he was surely considering the Galaxy Tab. First, we had finalized on HTC Desire but then due to the tempting features, we went for the Desire HD. Comparing with the Galaxy S, you get a 4.3" screen (S has a 4.0"), has 33% more RAM, HD video recording and 8mpg cam with flash (Galaxy has a 5mp cam with no flash). Also, I found the loudspeaker volume/quality to be much better in the HD, which also has Dolby & SRS Sound Enhancement. Talking about cons, you don't get a secondary camera so no video calling. Also, I think Galaxy S has a better battery life thanks to the AMOLED screen. It also has Bluetooth 3.0 compared to HD's 2.1, so the transfer speeds via bluetooth will be a notch faster. Dad's earlier phone was a HTC too and never had problems with it, other than a touchscreen panel fault which was replaced for 400.

About the prices, it's available in Alfa for 2 prices. 24.5 for without warranty and 26.5 with warranty. The Alfa guy said that you can't get the non-warranty piece serviced at a HTC store, so went for the warranty one. Desire was something around 21-22k and Desire Z was around 23.

Last edited by prateekm : 6th January 2011 at 18:31.

Most Viewed