Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:46   #1531
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The orange san-Fransisco,AKA dellXCD35 just costs over 100 euros in the UK,as apposed to the 16K INR here,is there anyway i can get it shipped to india?
What will be the approximate shipping costs?
Old 23rd January 2011, 21:31   #1532
Team-BHP Support

Today I looked at some phones.
I was looking for what I need which is
1. GPS(Actualy GPS chip)
2. Acclerometer
3. VGA video recording at 30fps atleast.
4. Atleast 2-3 GB internal storage.
5. Reasonable speed

I saw many phones like the Xperia X10 Desire HD, as well as some LG Android phones(11000) and Dell

I can't seem to understand what do I get for paying almost 15K more? A slightly faster phone?
HD video recording, and a slightly better screen?

So what do you think?

If all I want is
1. Android 2.2
2. GPS
3. Accelerometer
4. 2-3GB storage atleast
5. Micro SD slot

Is there something for less than 20K in the market?
Old 23rd January 2011, 21:54   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Today I looked at some phones.
I was looking for what I need which is
1. GPS(Actualy GPS chip)
2. Acclerometer
3. VGA video recording at 30fps atleast.
4. Atleast 2-3 GB internal storage.
5. Reasonable speed

I saw many phones like the Xperia X10 Desire HD, as well as some LG Android phones(11000) and Dell

I can't seem to understand what do I get for paying almost 15K more? A slightly faster phone?
HD video recording, and a slightly better screen?

So what do you think?

If all I want is
1. Android 2.2
2. GPS
3. Accelerometer
4. 2-3GB storage atleast
5. Micro SD slot

Is there something for less than 20K in the market?
Why dont you check out the Garmin Asus A10.
Garmin-Asus A10 - Full phone specifications

I have been using this phone for close to 2 months and works like charm.

Add to it the Garmin Maps with Turn by Turn navigation and lifetime updates of maps.

4 GB internal memory
512 MB ROM
512 MB RAM
667mhz processor
microSD slot with capacity to 32GB
Android 2.1 (as confirmed by the company guys, 2.2 will be available before end of Feb, 2011)

I got mine in Bangalore for 15,000/- while the market price is approx about 18990/-.

Check out the LG Optimus One P500 and Garmin Asus A10. You will get the difference straight away.

Drawback with A10 is, it does not have FM :( and you need a charger by End of 2nd day which I guess is norm on all Android phones.
Old 23rd January 2011, 22:30   #1534
BHPian

Croma located in kamanhalli is taking up orders for GALAXY- S on 2.1.

Will be delivered in 10 days.

Cost - 27900 /-

I guess ill be going for this..
Old 23rd January 2011, 23:54   #1535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Why dont you check out the Garmin Asus A10.
Garmin-Asus A10 - Full phone specifications

I have been using this phone for close to 2 months and works like charm.

Add to it the Garmin Maps with Turn by Turn navigation and lifetime updates of maps.

4 GB internal memory
512 MB ROM
512 MB RAM
667mhz processor
microSD slot with capacity to 32GB
Android 2.1 (as confirmed by the company guys, 2.2 will be available before end of Feb, 2011)

I got mine in Bangalore for 15,000/- while the market price is approx about 18990/-.

Check out the LG Optimus One P500 and Garmin Asus A10. You will get the difference straight away.

Drawback with A10 is, it does not have FM :( and you need a charger by End of 2nd day which I guess is norm on all Android phones.
Thanks for the detailed update.
However, the LG Optimus One P500 has all these features and FM radio and costs 11000rs in Noida!
The batter life is quite a bit (8h talk time) with the 1500 mAH batter.

However, I am wondering, how about the accelerometer? Does it work only for auto rotate, or can be used in playing games too, or general time pass acceleration testing apps?

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd January 2011 at 23:56.
Old 24th January 2011, 00:39   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

The speaker sucks - only treble can be heard.

Importing my contacts was not so easy. I finally imported them to my gmail and let my device sync to my gmail account.

Video is kind of jerky (15fps?) and metering messes up when you pan - level fluctuations when you move from frame to frame

Camera is OK

Virtual keyboard is nice, I never thought I can get used to it so soon. You don't need to be precise at all, there will be suggestions and new words are automatically tracked.

Speach recognition rocks.

Wi-Fi connectivity has no issues. It is so easy to connect. (like someone reported)

I'm using HTC wildfire, the mini desire ,its almost desire without hard keys
So i find features you mentioned good for a review of mine

For me too Speakers are not good, only treble can be heard also no equalizer options
Is equalizer option absent in android phones?
so i downloaded Winamp for android hoping that equalizer option will be present, but there wasn't any.

But i found importing contacts easy ,there is an utility to import contacts, send all contacts from my old phone via bluetooth
tried syncing with gmail and FB, which is good feature but it resulted in lots of confusion as lots of unwanted contacts got mixed with needed contacts
Gallery is integrated to FB so that you can visit FB albums from gallery itself

Also downloaded file manager as i couldn't find options to move files

But i'm still not able to connect via WiFi properly ,tried from office but was not able to browse due to proxy settings,is there an option to set proxy in phone?

camera is pretty OK when compared to my old phone Nokia 6300 ,pics had good quality when transferred to PC

virtual keyboard is nice,but i had difficulty in using initially as the letter i intended to type won't be the one selected by phone

speech recognition ,is it there in wildfire?

friends stream - its a good app where you can integrate FB , flickr and twitter ,tried all only integrated flickr now as i'm a regular visitor in flickr

Battery - as i'm not using GPRS always , charge stays for 1.5-2 days usually .Also i haven't done froyo update , couple of my colleagues who had done froyo update says charge is not holding up and processor speed also has reduced

totally i found it a better option than Galaxy3 which was my initial option but after seeing couple of my friend's galaxy3s having problems with mother board and display respectively i decided to go for wildfire.

Coolest feature - the phone is ringing placed at somewhere and if you pickup the phone the ringing sound will lower automatically

my opinion its a good VFM at 14k
Old 24th January 2011, 02:32   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The orange san-Fransisco,AKA dellXCD35 just costs over 100 euros in the UK,as apposed to the 16K INR here,is there anyway i can get it shipped to india?
What will be the approximate shipping costs?
Quite a few people ordered it via Aramex. Check out the procedure here

ZTE Blade aka DELL XCD 35 aka Orange San Francisco Thread
Old 24th January 2011, 09:19   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed update.
However, the LG Optimus One P500 has all these features and FM radio and costs 11000rs in Noida!
The batter life is quite a bit (8h talk time) with the 1500 mAH batter.

However, I am wondering, how about the accelerometer? Does it work only for auto rotate, or can be used in playing games too, or general time pass acceleration testing apps?
Few things which LG Optimus does not have
1. Turn by Turn navigation. Garmin Asus A10 has Garmin Maps with Lifetime free updates.
2. LG has 170 MB internal memory and you get 2 GB in the box. While A10 has 4 GB inbuilt and nothing in the box.
3. ROM memory (it is not RAM) is less on LG compared to 512 MB on A10. This helps when you require to work/play games.

I believe the Accelerometer works with Games too. I have not tested this, since i do not play games on cellphone.

While LG has sold over a million Optimus One, it cannot be bad either

Why did I pick the A10? is due the fact that it offers me Turn by Turn Navigation and it had some good memory.

Please check this
Old 24th January 2011, 09:30   #1539
Team-BHP Support

I understand that it has the best navigation. But I will most probably install Oziexplorer for offroad navigation, + brut maps for google maps navigation.
But what you are saying does make sense.
Can you test out for me whether GPS works in Flight mode too?

When you geotag pics, does it dump out Altitude information also in EXIF?

LAst but not the least, is it possible to write out gps tracks of your journey with timestamp and altitude?
Old 24th January 2011, 09:53   #1540
BHPian

Hi I have been having LG Optimus One P500 for 2months now, its a great VFM phone and i suits all our basic needs.
Old 24th January 2011, 11:08   #1541
Senior - BHPian

hey i got a software update on my X10 yesterday (i have already updated with 2.1) i could not get what is this update about, googled and found that there is some update in SE japan related to multi touch, but it doesnt feel so, could anyone share his experience.
Old 24th January 2011, 11:13   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Why did I pick the A10? is due the fact that it offers me Turn by Turn Navigation and it had some good memory.

Please check this YouTube - Garmin-Asus A10 - The Most Powerful Android Navigation Smartphone
Very impressive video. I need a phone with solid navigation features (or perhaps a dedicated device such as the ones from navigator.mapmyindia.com
1. What is the price for this Asus A10?
2. Does this phone get free updates for maps?
3. What quality of maps are there for India? I am told MMI is the best for India.
4. Does navigation work without use of GPRS/ data connection?
Old 24th January 2011, 11:34   #1543
Team-BHP Support

The Battle of the baby Droids

I have been hunting for an Android phone for quite some time.
Requirements were simple
1. GPS
Dedicated GPS required. I am going to install brut maps, and cache the maps on local storage so that I can use GPS without data connection, I do not intend to take data plan for GPS. So a requirement is that GPS should work in "flight mode" also
2. Accelerometer
There are some aps which can time 0-100 and G forces while cornering using the inbuild accelerometer. Some games also make use of it
3. Andoird 2.2
Need this for ability to store apps on SD card. So the phone should come with Android 2.2, or should be upgradable to 2.2
4. Geotagging of Images using inbuilt GPS
5. VGA video recording. 30fps preferrred. But camera is not a big deal for me
6. Okay LCD screen - I am not too hot about having the latest and greatest screen. Anything acceptable will do.
7. Good battery life - A 1500 mAH battery will surely help!

Now my budget was in 20-25K, but when I was looking around, I discovered, that I need not spend that much. The baby droids will fulfill my requirement. This means spending 10-15K not more. Of course I will get a 600MHz processor, but I have a laptop, and I won't be running very CPU hungry apps, just using phone for WIFI browsing, and limited data browsing(Opera)

This threw the HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy S (its not available anywhere, now that Nexus S is coming), Sony X10 out of the window. Due to silly policies viz rooting, motorola is not even in the picture.

So in came the baby driods. I am not sure which of these can be upgraded to 2.2 Android 2.2 is a must
The Candidates
1. LG Optimus One P500
It costs 11000RS with warranty in Noida, and comes with a 2GB memory card. Runs Froyo out of the box.
Has great battery life too. But I am not sure about how good is the GPS. I do not want to stand and dance with phone pointed towards the sky just to get GPS reception.
2. Garmin Asus A10
Reviews say this is the best navigation phone. It comes with a 4GB memory, and will cost around 13500.
My doubts. Are the Navteq maps stored in phone, or downloaded on the fly. If its the latter, its useless. I hope I can use other mapping apps like oziexplorer also when I need offroad navigation
Other than that availability is an issue, and I also wonder how good or bad is batter life
3. HTC Wildfire
Its a baby desire. But I am hearing reports of poor GPS chip inbuilt, requiring A-GPS for a cold fix.
At 13000 its not bad.
4. Dell San Francisco (X35 or something)
At 13000 approx, this also looks decent. But not many reports of how good or bad it is
5. Videocon
Surprise pacakge for 9000 approx. Runs 2.1, and Videocon tech support says 2.2 coming soon. Has a qualcomm arm 600MHz, so performance is going to be decent. But no idea about how good is the battery life. It comes with a spare battery standard. I cannot make out whether its good thing or bad thing.
6. Samsung Galaxy 3
I do not have much idea about this phone either
7. Sony Ericsson
I am vary of all things sony. I dunno what they will put in ROM just to rob me of my freedom.

So what do you think? Any phones I missed? What are your suggestions
Remember
1. Phone should be upgradable to 2.2
2. GPS should work in flight mode too without data connection. I intend to use brut maps and other third party software should the stock software require data connection
3. Accelerometer is needed.
4, Geotagging is needed
Old 24th January 2011, 11:36   #1544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Hi I have been having LG Optimus One P500 for 2months now, its a great VFM phone and i suits all our basic needs.
Does it have geotagging?
Does GPS work in flight mode with data connection off?
Old 24th January 2011, 12:09   #1545
BANNED

Quote:
So what do you think? Any phones I missed? What are your suggestions
How about the Acer BeTouch E110. Costs about Rs.9000/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks