Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:29   #2386
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Just installed Swype on my LG Optimus One. Just amazing. Previously had a 'slide it' keyboard but it was a trial version. This is far more accurate and easier to use.
I have also downloaded and installed Swype on my LG O1. How do I find it under settings? I find only LG keyboard and Android keyboard to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Has anyone seen/used the new Galaxy Pop. About 8.5k GSM and 9.8k CDMA. Froyo/600Mhz. looks like an excellent value for the price.
I heard the CDMA version is releasing only on March 25th. Has it already been released?

Last edited by deepakchan : 22nd March 2011 at 10:30. Reason: to avoid multiple posts
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:46   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
it says "samsung Galaxy S GT Brown I9003 (4GB) with Clear LCD (Free Samsung mini speakers worth Rs 1299)"

what does brown mean here?
in case its color, does it mean we cant buy black or any other color available?
Yes it's the color. if you order this piece it will be in brown only. If you want black, you will have to look for something like "samsung Galaxy S GT Black I9003..." on flipkart website.
Old 22nd March 2011, 11:07   #2388
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I heard the CDMA version is releasing only on March 25th. Has it already been released?
Yes, about four days ago. Price is 9750 to be exact. Take a look at rimweb.in which is a forum dedicated to Reliance. It is an OHM-RUIM handset.

In the shops I do not know. I was thinking about it at least my Epic 4G came back after repairs. Now I hear that he has got the part in the US and expects to be done in less than a fortnight - so I live with my Nokia6275 till then.

Take a look there, RCom is allowing MEID registration, so you can get some excellent deals of high end phones there. If you need some info about specific vendors you may PM me. No luck if you are a Tata Customer.

Last edited by sgiitk : 22nd March 2011 at 11:09.
Old 22nd March 2011, 12:25   #2389
BHPian

Any thoughts on the HTC Incredible-S, priced at 26000+ at flipkart? To be launched in the 4th week of March'11. This has a secondary camera as well.
Old 22nd March 2011, 13:14   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
I have also downloaded and installed Swype on my LG O1. How do I find it under settings? I find only LG keyboard and Android keyboard to choose from.
Just to clarify, Swype installation is a two step one. First you get the installer installed and then it downloads and installs swype.

If you go to Settings->Language and Keyboard, you should see the "Swype" under "Text settings" list with a check box. Select that to Enable Swype. Then beneath that you would see another list item "Swype Settings" where you can customize the settings. Go to any text entry item ( compose message, contacts search. compose mail ) press and hold and you should get the list of all available keyboards installed from where you can select Swype. Hope I made it clear enough.
Old 22nd March 2011, 14:10   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes, Google myTracks is the application you need. It works perfectly. I think you can just keep it running in the background while navigation is active.

Wow, this is good news. I will go the custom ROM way very soon. Battery life is my only concern while using the phone heavily. Thanks Sprucegoose!
Yo Clevermax do you have Milestone as well?

I was doing a bit of reading up, CM7 for the Milestone uses the Stock Froyo kernel which is known to have DSI errors [Screen freezes, Random Reboots, and Hanging] My phone has hung once in 3 days, it's rebooted once but the screen freezes quite often [for like 4 - 5 seconds]

also apparently they have under volted [set low Vsel Values] the processor so heavy apps hang sometimes. [Google maps hung once]

but overall i'd rather have CM7 than stock or overclocked Eclair & Froyo.

This is a stop gap solution. I'm waiting for a good phone to get released.
here are my requirements

Screen size: >= 3.7"
Procc: >= 1 GHz
Cores: >= 1 Core
Ram: >= 1 GB
And a Tactile qwerty slide-out keyboard is a must and that too preferably a side slider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I wanted to know, does rooting remove the Company Specific items?
Like Timescape/Mediascape or HTC Sense ?

Also how will the unlock code work?
Rooting will not affect anything on your phone.
you essentially [in windows terminology] can assign administrator privilages to any application.

Rooting is not necessary unless you are going to be overclocking or doing some such uber user operations on the phone.

as for the unlock code, i don't know.

Last edited by Stratos : 22nd March 2011 at 14:18.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:32   #2392
BHPian

Re: Android applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Total Recall is one of the best call recording app for Android but now a days you don't need third party apps as in most of the custom rom - the rom creators include recording apk which will record you telephone conversation as and when required.

Let me know which phone you are using and I might be able to help.
Thanks Kailash. I have an LG Optimus one ( Stock 2.2.1, upgraded to 2.2.2, and not rooted). There is a voice recorder app, but I can't start it when I am in a call, it doesn't allow me to do it.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:19   #2393
BHPian

Just flashed my rooted orange sanfran with the FLB Froyo r11. Went for a wipe and install and works well for me. I see that quick office has been removed from this version. Care telling which office suite app would run well with r11 on the orange san fran. Also pls suggest a good virus, and any app that can toggle between 3G and wifi at a single click

Cheers!

Sparkglow
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:29   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Thanks Kailash. I have an LG Optimus one ( Stock 2.2.1, upgraded to 2.2.2, and not rooted). There is a voice recorder app, but I can't start it when I am in a call, it doesn't allow me to do it.

Tried Total Recall. It seems to work fine. LG OO was in the list of working handsets and it was much better than any of the apps I tried earlier.
Thanks.
Old 22nd March 2011, 17:43   #2395
Senior - BHPian

Guys, was just wondering if there is an app which can resize the photos on the phone. My Wildfire's 5mp cam takes photos in 2592*1952 resolution, which sometimes run into more than 1.5mb in size, so uploading them becomes a issue, not much though.
BUt if there's a good app which can resize the photo in the phone itself without comprising on the quality, that would be good.
I have now set the camera at 3MP resolution .
Old 22nd March 2011, 18:49   #2396
BHPian

Guys , i have a issue here. I got a SGS yesterday. when i type long messages it automatically sends it as MMS even though i type it as SMS.
How do we change this setting and where ?
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:37   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Guys , i have a issue here. I got a SGS yesterday. when i type long messages it automatically sends it as MMS even though i type it as SMS. How do we change this setting and where ?
Remember reading this issue in one of the forums. Looks like there is no way out

Quote:
.....SGS converts Texts into an MMS if you exceeded 3 segments with only text. You don't have to add voice, photos, or videos or anything, over 3 sms in one, and you are in the MMS zone
Source:Galaxy s GTI9000 automatically converts SMS to MMS, why ? - Android - Stack Exchange

I do not have a SGS. Prolly SGS users will be able to confirm this.

BTW am on a lookout for this device. Would you mind sharing the following info about the device
  • Does it come preloaded with Android 2.2 (Froyo)?
  • Storage Capacity - 8GB or 16GB?
  • GPS Locking Issue - Resolved?
  • Does it have the Google logo on its back?
  • Finally the Price, Place of purchase and if possible the date of Import/ manufacture

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 22nd March 2011 at 19:39.
Old 22nd March 2011, 19:43   #2398
BHPian

Hi,

I use a rooted Orange SanFran flashed with the custom rom FLB Froyo r11. Google Apps do not connect using 3G but work well with WiFi. Please help!
Old 22nd March 2011, 20:08   #2399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
  • Does it come preloaded with Android 2.2 (Froyo)?- Yes, preinstalled 2.2
  • Storage Capacity - 8GB or 16GB? - 16 GB
  • GPS Locking Issue - Resolved? - locks in 3-4 seconds flat, but takes sometime inside the office/home which is normal i suppose
  • Does it have the Google logo on its back? - YUP
  • Finally the Price, Place of purchase and if possible the date of Import/ manufacture - imported from Vietnam (mentioned on the box), imported last month
Please find the Answers in BOLD
Old 22nd March 2011, 21:34   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
Please find the Answers in BOLD
Thanks so much for the swift response. Hope I get the same specs on the Indian version too. I presume your purchase from Vietnam was done in a private channel... as in not from a online Shopping site which is open to the public in general. Eh... ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks