Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 20:36   #2356
Senior - BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^ What you said about lcds is wrong. They consume the same amount of power irrespective of the content displayed. Amoleds, on the other hand, consume less for darker images.

For the same display size and resolution, amoleds consume much more current than led displays while displaying a complete white image!

Last edited by clevermax : 18th March 2011 at 20:40.
Old 18th March 2011, 23:39   #2357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
^^ What you said about lcds is wrong. They consume the same amount of power irrespective of the content displayed. Amoleds, on the other hand, consume less for darker images.

For the same display size and resolution, amoleds consume much more current than led displays while displaying a complete white image!
Well, my point was from this picture that you have posted some pages back in this same thread. Now is it true or whathttp://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2209716

EDIT: Oops, just saw that the power consumed is almost the same even when colorful images are used. So it doesn't make a lot of difference. So strike than point out from my suggestions

Last edited by SchumiFan : 18th March 2011 at 23:41.
Old 19th March 2011, 18:00   #2358
Senior - BHPian

^^ as you can see from that picture, power consumed by lcd screens are the same for all types of sample images whereas for amoled, power consumption varies drastically from darker images to whiter ones.
Old 19th March 2011, 23:55   #2359
Senior - BHPian

@clevermax:just wanted to know,if we can save the routes and other details like speed,distance,etc while using the navigation through brut maps?
I activated the data connection on my phone and the navigation worked wonderfully,even the rerouting was perfect and it guided me perfectly on the U turns. Very happy with the performance, have not found any options to save the route details,but if it is there then It would bejust perfect.
Old 20th March 2011, 09:22   #2360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Thanks for the suggestion.
Somehow I don't find LG phones well build. I may be wrong as I haven't seen any of their Android phones.
I had the same perception but now after using it for over 10 days - I find nothing to crib about. Its built very robust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
@clevermax:just wanted to know,if we can save the routes and other details like speed,distance,etc while using the navigation through brut maps?
I activated the data connection on my phone and the navigation worked wonderfully,even the rerouting was perfect and it guided me perfectly on the U turns. Very happy with the performance, have not found any options to save the route details,but if it is there then It would bejust perfect.
And adding to this - can we change the voice ? The voice on Brut Maps is pathetic ! Like an announcement on Mumbai's railway platforms
Old 20th March 2011, 17:16   #2361
Senior - BHPian

Here's a picture of my Wildfire's Battery life under different usage condition.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_2469.jpg Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-img_2477.jpg

The first one is under normal usage without GPS and navigation but with routine wifi usage, while the second one is with heavy GPS and wifi usage. .
I think the battery usage can get stretched to even 4 days , if the phone is used a little more judiciously. In both the cases , the battery left is around 10%.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 20th March 2011 at 17:18.
Old 20th March 2011, 19:02   #2362
BHPian

bought the LG Opt 1 today for Rs.10250/- at e-zone. Bluetooth headset for an additional 250/-
Old 20th March 2011, 20:45   #2363
BHPian

Just upgraded my MOtorola Milestone to CyanogenMod 7 [Gingerbread]
battery life has gone through the roof...

I used to get 8 - 10 hours on a charge, but now i get about 8 hours when my battery is at 50%.

This is the first time i am trying a Custom Rom and they've definately fixed one of the main concerns of an android phone.
Battery life.

It's running faster as well..
Old 20th March 2011, 21:02   #2364
BHPian

I have flashed my Orange San Francisco with the FLB Froyo r10b custom ROM. Using my GPRS/EDGE/3G, I am unable to use or connect the Google Apps such as Gmail, Youtube, Market, Navigation. However, I am able to browse website, access gmail using the default browser with the 3G connection. Using the WiFi, I am able to connect to the Market, Gmail app but unable to connect to Youtube.

Is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks,
Old 20th March 2011, 21:05   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post
I have flashed my Orange San Francisco with the FLB Froyo r10b custom ROM. Using my GPRS/EDGE/3G, I am unable to use or connect the Google Apps such as Gmail, Youtube, Market, Navigation. However, I am able to browse website, access gmail using the default browser with the 3G connection. Using the WiFi, I am able to connect to the Market, Gmail app but unable to connect to Youtube.

Thanks,
you should go check out xda developers.
Chances are you'll get an answer there
Old 20th March 2011, 21:39   #2366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkglow View Post

Thanks,

R u on prepaid connection ?
have you subscribed for mobile office ? or is it just GPRS ?
Old 20th March 2011, 23:17   #2367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
R u on prepaid connection ?
have you subscribed for mobile office ? or is it just GPRS ?

I am on a postpaid connection with 3G. All google apps except youtube work fine on the Wifi but not on the 3G.
Old 20th March 2011, 23:34   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Yes, Google myTracks is the application you need. It works perfectly. I think you can just keep it running in the background while navigation is active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Just upgraded my MOtorola Milestone to CyanogenMod 7 [Gingerbread]
battery life has gone through the roof...

I used to get 8 - 10 hours on a charge, but now i get about 8 hours when my battery is at 50%.

This is the first time i am trying a Custom Rom and they've definately fixed one of the main concerns of an android phone.
Battery life.

It's running faster as well..
Wow, this is good news. I will go the custom ROM way very soon. Battery life is my only concern while using the phone heavily. Thanks Sprucegoose!

Last edited by clevermax : 20th March 2011 at 23:35.
Old 21st March 2011, 10:32   #2369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Samsung Galaxy S I9000 is in stock on Flipkart now. Price 24,999/-.

SGSL I9003 is available on letsbuy.com for 18,431/- after applying coupon code "icicilb" and using an ICICI account for payment . Looks like a great deal!
it says "samsung Galaxy S GT Brown I9003 (4GB) with Clear LCD (Free Samsung mini speakers worth Rs 1299)"

what does brown mean here?
in case its color, does it mean we cant buy black or any other color available?
Old 21st March 2011, 16:36   #2370
BHPian

Re: Android applications

1 function that I used to love on my Nokia was the phone shouting the name of the person. Do we have a similar kind of app on Droid. Its seriously useful when U driving & dont want to divert ur attention.

Most Viewed