Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2012, 16:25   #7591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
@RKI You can look at HTC Explorer, I picked it up at 11K, have been happy so far with the experience. It may not have earth shattering performance but I did not feel that bad compared to the old Iphone 3G which I had used occasionally earlier.
Worst thing about it is that it does not have AF cam. So I guess no barcode scanning either! How lame is that?
Old 1st February 2012, 16:39   #7592
BANNED

Quick Q - does the camera in Samsung Note have zoom? If yes, I could not get it to work after numerous attempts at poking or pinching around.

--Ragul
Old 1st February 2012, 17:08   #7593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Quick Q - does the camera in Samsung Note have zoom? If yes, I could not get it to work after numerous attempts at poking or pinching around.

--Ragul
Hard button: Volume up and down.

Soft button: Pinching out and in of the focusing rectangle or whatever you call it.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 17:19   #7594
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Hard button: Volume up and down.

Soft button: Pinching out and in of the focusing rectangle or whatever you call it.

Works ... thanks!

Now which is the best bluetooth headset to pair with Samsung note? Cost less than 6K? I would prefer a mono single ear piece of course.

TIA
--Ragul
Old 1st February 2012, 17:33   #7595
MCR
BHPian

Here is my take of the Samsung Galaxy Y after 2 months of usage.

Positives ;
1. Cheap. Especially if you want to try out the Android OS.
2. Slim and light weight.

Negatives;

1. Crappy OS. I mean it. The phone had 2.3.5 from the Factory and I later updated the firmware to 2.3.6. The problems started the day upgrade happened.
2. Wi-Fi does not work reliably. Works for a while after Factory reset.
3. Yesterday had a problem connecting to the mobile network. Started working after the factory reset.
4. Factory reset - done it twice already.
5. Battery back-up is pathetic. lasts a day on moderate usage.
6. Frequent call drops. Never have this issue while using the same SIM on my Nokia.

To sum it up, I am highly disappointed with this phone. I bought this with an intention to try the Android OS. i must say that I am deeply disappointed. Android OS is not stable afterall. Sigh.

I am thinking of switching over to Nokia Lumia 700 pretty soon. After all the same set of applications are available on Nokia OVI as well. And more-over Windows Mango is found to be more stable and reliable by experts.
Old 1st February 2012, 17:52   #7596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
To sum it up, I am highly disappointed with this phone. I bought this with an intention to try the Android OS. i must say that I am deeply disappointed. Android OS is not stable afterall. Sigh.

I am thinking of switching over to Nokia Lumia 700 pretty soon. After all the same set of applications are available on Nokia OVI as well. And more-over Windows Mango is found to be more stable and reliable by experts.
Why dont you try a custom ROM? You may not be disappointed after all!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 18:07   #7597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Positives ;

Negatives;

1. Crappy OS. I mean it. The phone had 2.3.5 from the Factory and I later updated the firmware to 2.3.6. The problems started the day upgrade happened.
3. Yesterday had a problem connecting to the mobile network. Started working after the factory reset.
6. Frequent call drops. Never have this issue while using the same SIM on my Nokia.

Ouch!

Before you dump it, try a custom rom.
you may not be fan of the hardware, but the Custom rom will give you faith in android.
There's a huge amount of galaxy Y roms on xda.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 19:04   #7598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I bought a Galaxy Y just to check out Android while I had a Nokia 5800 and I am surprised to see that you are unhappy with the performance.

Except for the bad battery, I did not face any of those issues and within a month I upgraded to Galaxy Note.

Quote:
Works ... thanks!

Now which is the best bluetooth headset to pair with Samsung note? Cost less than 6K? I would prefer a mono single ear piece of course.

TIA
--Ragul
6K for a headset? That too Mono? Samsung's HM1100 is sold for 700-800 on Flipkart. Man I am really shocked to see 6k for the head set

Quote:
Ok the last time I checked the price of a BT headset may have been 3 to 4 years back. Prices may have crashed or I may have imagined something.

Which is the one with best noise cancellation and a most comfortable fit with days of battery life? My usage would be up to 2h of video streaming and a couple of calls per day max.

Thanks
I hope I did not sound condescending, not my intent either!

I never used a bluetooth headset so cannot comment on usability/practicality front, but it would be a good idea to do some research yourself.

Last edited by anilisanil : 1st February 2012 at 19:20.
Old 1st February 2012, 19:15   #7599
BANNED

Quote:
I bought a Galaxy Y just to check out Android while I had a Nokia 5800 and I am surprised to see that you are unhappy with the performance.

Except for the bad battery, I did not face any of those issues and within a month I upgraded to Galaxy Note.

6K for a headset? That too Mono? Samsung's HM1100 is sold for 700-800 on Flipkart. Man I am really shocked to see 6k for the head set

Ok the last time I checked the price of a BT headset may have been 3 to 4 years back. Prices may have crashed or I may have imagined something.

Which is the one with best noise cancellation and a most comfortable fit with days of battery life? My usage would be up to 2h of video streaming and a couple of calls per day max.

Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 20:59   #7600
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why dont you try a custom ROM? You may not be disappointed after all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Ouch!

Before you dump it, try a custom rom.
you may not be fan of the hardware, but the Custom rom will give you faith in android.
There's a huge amount of galaxy Y roms on xda.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you please give a step by step guide to the custom rom and how to flash it? This will be really helpful.

Quote:

Even I was happy till the firmware upgrade. The 2.3.6 has spoiled all the fun. I don't understand what Samsung was thinking before lining up the upgrade.
Anyhow, let me try the custom rom.
Old 1st February 2012, 21:58   #7601
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you please give a step by step guide to the custom rom and how to flash it? This will be really helpful.

Even I was happy till the firmware upgrade. The 2.3.6 has spoiled all the fun. I don't understand what Samsung was thinking before lining up the upgrade.
go to forums at xda developers.
even if somebody guides you here, THAT will be the source
Old 1st February 2012, 21:59   #7602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just goto

Android Forums & Windows Phone Discussion @ xda-developers

explore for your phone and flash the ROM
Old 1st February 2012, 22:02   #7603
BHPian

Quote:

Positives ;

Negatives;

I have been using the Galaxy Y for a couple of months and here are my observations of your observations.....

1. OS seems very good. I have been using iPhone for a couple of years and the Android is perfect geeky stuff. Not too pretty as the iPhone, but fairly functional. Have not upgraded to 2.3.6

2. Wifi has been working well with no dropouts.
5. Battery lasts for a couple of days with moderate usage.
6. Frequent call drops .... Oh yes! Calls get disconnected randomly and very frequently too, sometimes 7-8 times a day. Very frustrating indeed.

I used to wonder if the call drops were something to do with the network, but I found out that that's not the case. Saving up for something better this time.

Prajwal
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:16   #7604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
6. Frequent call drops .... Oh yes! Calls get disconnected randomly and very frequently too, sometimes 7-8 times a day. Very frustrating indeed.
Even I am facing the same with my HTC Explorer. The issue started after I activated 3g service
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:23   #7605
BHPian

Any suggestions for a phone in 15k range?preferably android and not the Samsung ace or the Galaxy Y.

How are the HTC phones?

Anvancy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks