Old 27th March 2012, 17:30   #8341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Temple run rocks. Uber timepass app ever
Old 27th March 2012, 18:52   #8342
BHPian

Friends, need some help here.

My wife's Blade is running CM7.2-RC1. We decided to upgrade the SD card in the phone from 2GB to 8GB.

This is the procedure I followed to copy sdcard 1 to sdcard 2:

- Reboot into recovery, mount SD card and copy entire content of the card to a folder on my laptop
- Unmount SD card, replace the card with new SD card
- Partition new card, mount it and the copy the content backed up on laptop to SD card.

Now when I booted the phone, the apps installed on SD card are not opening. I get an error "Could not launch the requested activity.". All other data is recognized perfectly as expected.

I've tried fixing permissions from recovery for the new card. How do I go about solving this issue?
Old 27th March 2012, 19:22   #8343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi

My wife's Blade is running CM7.2-RC1. We decided to upgrade the SD card in the phone from 2GB to 8GB.

- Reboot into recovery, mount SD card and copy entire content of the card to a folder on my laptop
- Partition new card, mount it and the copy the content backed up on laptop to SD card.

Now when I booted the phone, the apps installed on SD card are not opening. I get an error "Could not launch the requested activity.". All other data is recognized perfectly as expected.

I've tried fixing permissions from recovery for the new card. How do I go about solving this issue?
Just a wild guess, as the previous card of 2gb was not poisoned (assuming) then after partitioning of new Card there must have been done changes is fs. Try undoing the partitioning and then recopy the data back and try. hope this helps.
Old 27th March 2012, 19:59   #8344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I have a 32GB class 6 SD card in my Defy running WIUI 2.3.16 GB Stable / CM7 White Rabbit 1.3.

My SD card shows up without issues.

Try to unmount the card, format the card and remount it to show up using file explorer.

Does the card show how much free space it has in Storage? Looks like a wrong app is used to move apps from the Phone memory Why did you use App2sd, who is the author?
I have a TRanscend 16 GB class 4 microsd card.
I am on WanamLite ICS v 9.8 ROM
I tried mounting, un-mounting , formatting.
It shows up in the storage with 14.80 GB of space.
I moved some apps to SD card and it shows 14.32 GB available.

When I try to open with ES File explorer - and select the external SD - all I can see is the LOST.DIR.

When I connect the phone to the PC / Mac - it pops up 2 drives - but the external SD only contains a folder LOST.DIR which is empty.
Old 27th March 2012, 20:43   #8345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I have a TRanscend 16 GB class 4 microsd card.
I am on WanamLite ICS v 9.8 ROM
I tried mounting, un-mounting , formatting.
It shows up in the storage with 14.80 GB of space.
I moved some apps to SD card and it shows 14.32 GB available.

When I try to open with ES File explorer - and select the external SD - all I can see is the LOST.DIR.

When I connect the phone to the PC / Mac - it pops up 2 drives - but the external SD only contains a folder LOST.DIR which is empty.
Are you rooted? Why do you use ES File Explorer?

Check the type of format in your SD card - Use

Free download Partition Recovery Software, Deleted Partition Recovery, Active Partition Recovery Software, Disk Partition Recovery Tool, NTFS Partition Recovery Tool, Recovery Partition, Hard Disk Recovery, Drive Partition Recovery, Hard Drive Partit

to find out the type of fomat of your SD card - It could be FAT32/NTFS/EXT2/EXT4 etc.

Format to FAT32 and check if the card is recognized by the phone.

And if you are on WanamLite ICS v 9.8 ROM, my guess is that you do NOT need app2Sd sw to move the apps.

Last edited by headers : 27th March 2012 at 20:45.
Old 28th March 2012, 09:13   #8346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Are you rooted?
Yes

Quote:
Why do you use ES File Explorer?
because myfiles didn't show the external SD card

Quote:
Check the type of format in your SD card - Use

Free download Partition Recovery Software, Deleted Partition Recovery, Active Partition Recovery Software, Disk Partition Recovery Tool, NTFS Partition Recovery Tool, Recovery Partition, Hard Disk Recovery, Drive Partition Recovery, Hard Drive Partit

to find out the type of fomat of your SD card - It could be FAT32/NTFS/EXT2/EXT4 etc.

Format to FAT32 and check if the card is recognized by the phone.
It is FAT 32 - but just to make sure I formatted the card and then dumped it into the phone.

The only problem is that I can only see LOST.DIR when I browse the sd card on the phone and when connected to the PC / Mac.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:42   #8347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The only problem is that I can only see LOST.DIR when I browse the sd card on the phone and when connected to the PC / Mac.
LOST.DIR usually means either the SD card is not mounted in the device or the SD card is corrupt.

Try using a car reader and read the card using a computer. Worst case you have to format the card in the computer and mount it as a new card in your phone.

Chances of salvaging something out of the card is minimal at this point.

Try unmounting/Mounting few times in the phone.

Also remove the card, clean the contact points in the phone as well as the card and try mounting/unmounting few times.
Old 28th March 2012, 10:52   #8348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

PANIC PANIC PANIC

I got this idea of taking backup of all apps using Tittanium Backup and then copy backed up content to new SD card. I should've just copied it, but instead I went to recovery and did all the partitioning etc again. In the process I think I messed up something and now the phone doesn't boot. It is stuck at green Android logo and doesn't proceed. It is not going into recovery either.

Please help.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:17   #8349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have decided to buy the Motorola Defy+. Was quoted 16k for it. What would be the best price in today's market for this phone?

Is this a good phone to buy? I was impressed with the dust/water/scratch resist features.
I got the same phone for 16k from flipkart last month. I did not check the price in stores.

It is a good phone. The phone feels sturdy and the online reviews are also good. The only issue I have with the phone is that I need to charge battery every day, but that seems to be the case with every android smartphone.You can check out mine during weekend ride, not sure whether I will be able to attend this weeks ride.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:43   #8350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I got the same phone for 16k from flipkart last month. I did not check the price in stores.

It is a good phone. The phone feels sturdy and the online reviews are also good. The only issue I have with the phone is that I need to charge battery every day, but that seems to be the case with every android smartphone.
Thanks Shammil. UniverCell quoted me 16k and a further 2k off for my 1.5 yr old Nokia C5-00 so effective price is 14k which i guess is a good buy. Asked them to rethink and i will return over the weekend. Hopefully they are able to better their offer. Lets see.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:54   #8351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
PANIC PANIC PANIC

I got this idea of taking backup of all apps using Tittanium Backup and then copy backed up content to new SD card. I should've just copied it, but instead I went to recovery and did all the partitioning etc again. In the process I think I messed up something and now the phone doesn't boot. It is stuck at green Android logo and doesn't proceed. It is not going into recovery either.

Please help.

If you're talking about the blade just use a TPT from the forum. it will reinstall the recoveries and let you install a new ROM.Once it enters recovery just install the ROM and Gapps directly. no need to tinker with the other settings after a TPT

As for the SD card thing. i'm assuming that you had APP2SD on your old SD card?if you did APP2SD creates a linux partition on the SD to be used for apps.when you copied over the data did this Linux partition show up?did you copy the contents of that partition and move them to a similar partition on the new SD card?

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 28th March 2012 at 11:57.
Old 28th March 2012, 12:05   #8352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
If you're talking about the blade just use a TPT from the forum. it will reinstall the recoveries and let you install a new ROM.Once it enters recovery just install the ROM and Gapps directly. no need to tinker with the other settings after a TPT
Well, this was a false alarm. The latest recovery changed the key from Volume + to Volume -. So I could actually get into recovery. Installed CM7.2 again and then restored everything using Titanium Backup. Everything back up as it was earlier.

Quote:
As for the SD card thing. i'm assuming that you had APP2SD on your old SD card?if you did APP2SD creates a linux partition on the SD to be used for apps.when you copied over the data did this Linux partition show up?did you copy the contents of that partition and move them to a similar partition on the new SD card?
Oh, I didn't know about this. No there was no such partition showing up when I copied the contents. I was mounting the SD card through the phone itself, so I believe it was only mounting the /data partition.

Thanks for the information.
Old 28th March 2012, 13:28   #8353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post

It is a good phone. The phone feels sturdy and the online reviews are also good. The only issue I have with the phone is that I need to charge battery every day, but that seems to be the case with every android smartphone.You can check out mine during weekend ride, not sure whether I will be able to attend this weeks ride.
Mine needs charging every other day and can make three ... but this is with minimal use. For average, or more, use, a day might be optimistic. I always keep a phone charger in the car. Probably you got one from Flipkart with the phone? I did.

As to being sturdy, I find the USB cover to be flimsy. It will hardly stay put in air: I can't imagine it being much protection against water. This and the camera are my only quibbles.
Old 28th March 2012, 13:49   #8354
Senior - BHPian

The USB cover is perfectly rainproof. Works even against saliva
Old 28th March 2012, 13:52   #8355
Senior - BHPian

Configured my phone to use google dns servers (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) instead if the default ones while under my home wifi. Now i see a difference in the speed at which pages start to load. The loading starts faster.

Most Viewed