Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 09:09   #8326
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Care to suggest some?
The idea blade/dell XCD 35 for one.Huawei IDEOS X2 too. plus a lot of indian branded phones
Old 26th March 2012, 10:29   #8327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Options in your price range are Xperia Neo V and Motorola Defy+. You will find lot of details about both these phones if you go few pages back in the thread.
I have decided to buy the Motorola Defy+. Was quoted 16k for it. What would be the best price in today's market for this phone?

Is this a good phone to buy? I was impressed with the dust/water/scratch resist features.
Old 26th March 2012, 10:37   #8328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I have decided to buy the Motorola Defy+. Was quoted 16k for it. What would be the best price in today's market for this phone?

Is this a good phone to buy? I was impressed with the dust/water/scratch resist features.
It is definitely a good phone, but all depends on your requirements. I finally ended up getting Neo V because of planned ICS upgrade, better camera, front camera etc.

Defy+ is available for 15250 on letsbuy.com.
Old 26th March 2012, 11:18   #8329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did not wait much. Ordered at Flipkart and it came in 2 days! I am not a major gaming person.
Most usage is restricted to browsing with Wifi, when I am not at Desktop with broadband.
That being my regular usage, battery lasts easily about 1-1.5 days.
(I optimize the corporate mail with a 15 minute sync rather than it being on all the time. )

Smooth display and it is responsive and a sturdy piece of H/W to support.
Fully satisfied as of today. Surprisingly its not easily available at the regular showrooms.
Congrats on the buy I am also wondering, why its not updated in the Motorola India website also.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:19   #8330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is definitely a good phone, but all depends on your requirements. I finally ended up getting Neo V because of planned ICS upgrade, better camera, front camera etc.

Defy+ is available for 15250 on letsbuy.com.
Thanks for the price tip. And apologies for the totally noob Q, what is the ICS upgrade? Is the Moto Defy+ outdated? Also it has a 5MP camera and i saw the pic quality and thought it was amazing. Am i missing something here?
Old 26th March 2012, 12:36   #8331
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the price tip. And apologies for the totally noob Q, what is the ICS upgrade? Is the Moto Defy+ outdated? Also it has a 5MP camera and i saw the pic quality and thought it was amazing. Am i missing something here?
ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) is the next version of Android OS. It is supposed to bring lots of new features into OS. ICS version number will be 4.0 and Gingerbread (current version) is 2.3.x. So you can imagine the amount of changes.

Defy+ will not get official ICS from Motorola but there is a huge community of developers working on ICS for Defy+.

Yes, Defy+ has 5mp camera but not all 5mp cameras are equal in terms of real world performance. For example, I'm not happy with my Neo V's 5mp camera even though it is one of the good performers in this range. This is because I've used Samsung Wave in past which had excellent 5mp shooter. Nothing comes close to it.
Old 26th March 2012, 12:39   #8332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) is the next version of Android OS. It is supposed to bring lots of new features into OS. ICS version number will be 4.0 and Gingerbread (current version) is 2.3.x. So you can imagine the amount of changes.

Defy+ will not get official ICS from Motorola but there is a huge community of developers working on ICS for Defy+.

Yes, Defy+ has 5mp camera but not all 5mp cameras are equal in terms of real world performance. For example, I'm not happy with my Neo V's 5mp camera even though it is one of the good performers in this range. This is because I've used Samsung Wave in past which had excellent 5mp shooter. Nothing comes close to it.
Thank you sir for patiently answering my queries. So if i choose to upgrade the ICS later on via the developer sites, will it be safe and reliable?

Regarding the camera, i guess we win some and we lose some. There is not one phone that will have everything we aspire for, right?
Old 26th March 2012, 13:04   #8333
Senior - BHPian

The camera is quite average and only good enough at best.

Regarding ICS update - speak to headers about his experience as an end user with the GB update. Its quite simple but please be ready in advance.
Old 26th March 2012, 13:04   #8334
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you sir for patiently answering my queries. So if i choose to upgrade the ICS later on via the developer sites, will it be safe and reliable?
That depends on which ROM (this is the word used in Android community to refer to the OS firmware) you decide to go with. Some developers are actually known for coming up with very good performing ROMs, yet stable and reliable. Cyanogenmod is one of them. But I don't see Defy+ listed on their devices page. But I know some people on this forum are already running ICS on Defy+ (alpha version, not yet ready for day to day usage).

Irrespective of which custom ROM you go for, you loose the warranty on your phone as soon as you tinker with it.

Quote:
Regarding the camera, i guess we win some and we lose some. There is not one phone that will have everything we aspire for, right?
Old 26th March 2012, 14:06   #8335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
Hi All,

Still waiting for the response on the above as i have to finalize the Deal. as we have limited tablets for sale.

Hi All,

Finally picked up the Dell Streak 7. and i feel its really a very good experience for me to have this one on board.

was planning to install some apps and games, as of now just downloaded some games and Applications.

it came with the official Honey Comb 3.2 installed. super fast no lag of battery too.
Old 27th March 2012, 12:20   #8336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Congrats on the buy I am also wondering, why its not updated in the Motorola India website also.
I guess we were ahead of times! Now it shows up.
Old 27th March 2012, 13:26   #8337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi
For example, I'm not happy with my Neo V's 5mp camera even though it is one of the good performers in this range. This is because I've used Samsung Wave in past which had excellent 5mp shooter. Nothing comes close to it.
I agree with difference in quality despite same Sensor size & MP count.
I happened to own a Motorola ZN5 which happened to have a 5MP Kodak lens. It was trully an amazing little shooter. Very fast & really sharp & natural pictures. (Even RAW format pics were possible in few firmwares)
One point here is that the quality of picture also greatly depends on compression algorithm used in different firmwares.
So I think if Defy camera shoots OK OK pictures in stock form, it is possible to improve it somehow using different set of libraries & camera app. But again, it will require rooting and all.
Old 27th March 2012, 13:46   #8338
BHPian

Temple Run is finally available on Play Store. Check it out folks - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...angi.templerun
Old 27th March 2012, 16:18   #8339
Senior - BHPian

So I got a 16 Gb Micro SD card and dumped it into the SGS2. That is where the problems begin.

The card shows up as SD card in Settings - Storage.
I moved a few apps to the SD card via App2sd.
Checked on the SD card and found that space was decreasing - means the apps were moving to the SD card.
But when I open the external sd card folder - all I see is some LOST.DIR

What is the problem ? Read up on XDA but couldn't find a work around.

I cannot locate the emmc folder as per some posts in XDA !

Need help !
Old 27th March 2012, 17:14   #8340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
So I got a 16 Gb Micro SD card and dumped it into the SGS2. That is where the problems begin.

The card shows up as SD card in Settings - Storage.
I moved a few apps to the SD card via App2sd.
Checked on the SD card and found that space was decreasing - means the apps were moving to the SD card.
But when I open the external sd card folder - all I see is some LOST.DIR

What is the problem ? Read up on XDA but couldn't find a work around.

I cannot locate the emmc folder as per some posts in XDA !

Need help !
I have a 32GB class 6 SD card in my Defy running WIUI 2.3.16 GB Stable / CM7 White Rabbit 1.3.

My SD card shows up without issues.

Try to unmount the card, format the card and remount it to show up using file explorer.

Does the card show how much free space it has in Storage? Looks like a wrong app is used to move apps from the Phone memory Why did you use App2sd, who is the author?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks