Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:40   #8416
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
You can try VLC Player for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.vlc.player2
The flip side of using the VLC player is that they keep on pushing spam ads to your device which show up in the notifications. These are not blocked by AdBlocker as well.
Old 3rd April 2012, 08:13   #8417
BHPian

I use rock player. Pretty much plays most of the files. Even .flv with good quality & frame rate.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:40   #8418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
You can try VLC Player for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.vlc.player2
Thanks traveloholic, I searched for it in the market and only VLC remote turned up. This link you gave me works, but I am scared of the below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
The flip side of using the VLC player is that they keep on pushing spam ads to your device which show up in the notifications. These are not blocked by AdBlocker as well.
I had Rs.65 knocked off from my balance by just opening one of those notifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
John - Try MX video player - One of the best
I tried that Vikram, does not play BRip. BTW, are you still using that samsung or have you changed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
I use rock player. Pretty much plays most of the files. Even .flv with good quality & frame rate.
Thanks, will try that too. Hope these are not with ads.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:00   #8419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Regarding the phone; it looks lovely, feels sturdy and over-all satisfy all your personal and official needs more than bargained for. The connectivity is respectable, the wifi speeds are excellent, the interface is crisp and you will experience no lag or hang.

Flip side: Battery though is compromised at 1700mAh which is just about enough for a day even with power saver mode turned on in max mode. The camera is a joke- the pic quality is down right pathetic (5/10) , text messaging takes a while to get used to but swype texting is brilliant... Rest is 8.5/10.
Thanks Ritesh. This is my first smart phone and the quickest upgrade ever (the C5-00 was only a year and few months old). Got 2k off for my Nokia C5-00 so effectively the handset cost me 14k. Upgraded the memory card to 16gb and it cost me 1.5k (class 10).

Took me a couple of days to learn how to use the phone since the user manual that comes in the box is a joke. Still figuring out new things and the phone is a delight. Battery is on night time saver mode so by the end of the day it is at around 20-30%.

I dont really hate the camera since the C5 had a 3.2 MP camera and this is way better than what i had earlier. Of course, purists would want more

One thing is concerning me - the screen shakes/shivers and scrolls up and down on its own sometimes. Pressing the power button to switch off the display and switching it on again and unlocking the phone seems to resolve the issue. The menu, back, home key also does not work when this is happening. Any insights?

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd April 2012 at 12:02.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:24   #8420
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!

Instagram is finally out for android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tagram.android

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

One thing is concerning me - the screen shakes/shivers and scrolls up and down on its own sometimes. Pressing the power button to switch off the display and switching it on again and unlocking the phone seems to resolve the issue. The menu, back, home key also does not work when this is happening. Any insights?
Are your hands wet/sweaty? capacitive screens register water droplets as touch.and can go crazy if the screen is wet

Last edited by GTO : 4th April 2012 at 13:07. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:19   #8421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
That sounds like the Motorola Defy (or Defy+) - does it happen while plugged in? That is the typical case. Take it out of charging and it should function just fine. Max, lock/unlock it. Don;t ask me why though.

Others - I have the chance to buy a new phone and pass the defy onto the wife. Between HTC Chacha and BB9300, what do you advise? The broad budget is 12k and i NEED a qwerty.
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:41   #8422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That sounds like the Motorola Defy (or Defy+) - does it happen while plugged in? That is the typical case. Take it out of charging and it should function just fine. Max, lock/unlock it. Don;t ask me why though.

Others - I have the chance to buy a new phone and pass the defy onto the wife. Between HTC Chacha and BB9300, what do you advise? The broad budget is 12k and i NEED a qwerty.
Absolutely no ChaCha. Very poor battery and absolutely very very limited internal memory. I moved on from ChaCha within 20 days of ownership. BB are boring so would not recommend to you. Suggest you wait for Motorola droid pro or pro+ to get launched. Current qwerty handsets are just not worth, save your money dear.
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:43   #8423
Senior - BHPian

I've made up my mind to get a dual core phone and I feel the best value for money phone right now @ ~ 20K is the Motorola Atrix 2. Letsbuy is offering this phone at 22249. The shops don't seem interested in selling Motorola.

Shall I go ahead and get this phone, now with official ICS also announced (Q3 2012) ? Anybody with letsbuy coupon codes ?
Old 3rd April 2012, 23:51   #8424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I've made up my mind to get a dual core phone and I feel the best value for money phone right now @ ~ 20K is the Motorola Atrix 2. Letsbuy is offering this phone at 22249. The shops don't seem interested in selling Motorola.

Shall I go ahead and get this phone, now with official ICS also announced (Q3 2012) ? Anybody with letsbuy coupon codes ?
Looks like Letsbuy and Flipkart is not offering any coupon.
However you can try this site... With coupon it will be around ~21. Seems like worthy.

timtara.com-India
Old 4th April 2012, 07:34   #8425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Advice Guruji? Well you must be kidding - Anything from a Defy is a compromise..No waterproof, No dust proof, Not much custom ROMs!!

Guess wait for sometime until market stabilizes and dual core is the norm!
Old 4th April 2012, 07:45   #8426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Looks like Letsbuy and Flipkart is not offering any coupon.
However you can try this site... With coupon it will be around ~21. Seems like worthy.

timtara.com-India
Stay away from timtara. Just google for reviews on this site and you'd know.
Old 4th April 2012, 09:26   #8427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Absolutely no ChaCha. Very poor battery and absolutely very very limited internal memory. I moved on from ChaCha within 20 days of ownership. BB are boring so would not recommend to you. Suggest you wait for Motorola droid pro or pro+ to get launched. Current qwerty handsets are just not worth, save your money dear.
Interesting perspective. Its okay for BB then - I am boring too That said, can't get Chacha's lovely looks/form factor out of my head. plus its got a better screen than the BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Advice Guruji? Well you must be kidding - Anything from a Defy is a compromise..No waterproof, No dust proof, Not much custom ROMs!!

Guess wait for sometime until market stabilizes and dual core is the norm!
I am now beyond all of that. I am happy with even my E63 if it wasnt so damned laggy. I just need a keyboard man! Though yes, Defy's screen s too good.

Quote:

Go for it man. Its a lovely piece - just checked it out yesterday
Old 4th April 2012, 09:33   #8428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The shops don't seem interested in selling Motorola.
This is true. They either have the Defy or the Razor. And that too not all the shops have it. Even I was perplexed at this.
I got mine at flipkart. The product was delivered in 2 days flat ! I had my own reservations about buying electronics through
Indian online portals, but Flipkart was good.

Phone is also good and with solid build quality. If you are looking at regular office usage (mail, Wifi browse, calls etc and less
of gaming), the battery (1750mAh) easily lasts >1.5days.

For the price its a real VFM product with dual core, 1GB RAM and 4.3 inch qHD. Indeed, one may argue no AMOLED.
But I am OK with the display and at that price its a very good deal.
Old 4th April 2012, 09:38   #8429
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys (BTW.. is it only me, or has the 'thanks' button gone ?)

I'm getting a good offer for my 1 year old ACE. A re-seller in Pimpri, Pune is ready to take it for 7500 which is a good price I think.

@Ampere - Is the phone fast and snappy without any lag ?
Old 4th April 2012, 09:50   #8430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun

I'm getting a good offer for my 1 year old ACE. A re-seller in Pimpri, Pune is ready to take it for 7500 which is a good price I think.
I think that's a price you should sell immediately.

If I get even 5k for galaxy 3, I wont wait a single day.

Most Viewed