Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 13:44   #7561
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Guys need just one clarification: I might buy an android phone in the coming days and I was not sure about transferring contacts from my current phone to an Android device. I am currently using Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic - S60 OS. I also have Nokia PC suite on my system. Can contacts be transferred directly from the SIM? Or do I need to save all the contacts from my current phone to the computer and then transfer the contacts to the new phone? How it works? Any help will be appreciated. Should I post this in the mobiles thread? I thought since I was shifting to android I should post here.
I transfered all my contacts from 5800 XM to Sony Ericsson Live With Walkman just by marking all my contacts in 5800 and then sending it to my new phone SE LWW as business cards and stored in mmc. The next step I retrieved all my business cards from mmc using Import feature in SE LWW.

VOILA all 568 contacts copied
Old 31st January 2012, 14:02   #7562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Guys need just one clarification: I might buy an android phone in the coming days and I was not sure about transferring contacts from my current phone to an Android device. I am currently using Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic - S60 OS. I also have Nokia PC suite on my system. Can contacts be transferred directly from the SIM? Or do I need to save all the contacts from my current phone to the computer and then transfer the contacts to the new phone? How it works? Any help will be appreciated. Should I post this in the mobiles thread? I thought since I was shifting to android I should post here.
Download a free application (eg Rainbow contacts) from android market. Switch on bluetooth on both the devices and voila, the application transfers all your contacts from 5800 (my previous phone) to Android (current Note). One downside is you will have to transfer all the contacts.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:22   #7563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Well, I have tried the water proofing on my wifey's Defy. Our little angel always gets it dirty with all those foods she take. What I do is simply wash the Defy under water. No problem
Are you seriously joking or jokingly serious? Washing the phone under running water would really be something if Defy can take that!
Old 31st January 2012, 14:33   #7564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Are you seriously joking or jokingly serious? Washing the phone under running water would really be something if Defy can take that!
I would take the latter Yes buddy, believe me. I have done that couple times already. Defy is still going strong. Running water means not pumping with a pressure pump but washing it under gentle flow of water from a tap

Just attaching a video from youtube for reference.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 31st January 2012 at 14:35.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 16:38   #7565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Could you please explain this more? Is it like when charged to 100% through USB and through power outlet, batteries differ in their back up time? Am not understanding this part, as IMO once the battery is fully charged through any source, it should behave identical. What ever be the power source, battery should put out a clean DC current. But yes, there are cases reported when battery level get stuck on 100% when charging on some USB ports. I think its more to do with the calibration of battery. Being said that, I charge my Neo through wall charger, laptop and my cheap desktop and never had any noticeable difference in discharge pattern. I had this 100% battery stuck issue, but a battery wipe from CWM recovery did the job.
Thats right, even though it may show 100% you may get less juice out of the battery if you have charged it thru a USB port. I'm guessing that its due to the low quality PSUs used. PSUs can be pretty dangerous things. Due to severe cost cutting, many do not have adequate filtering and protection from issues like over current, short circuit, etc., and poor quality output with high ripple & noise. High quality PSUs are usually used by gamers or enthusiasts as they cost a lot more. I'm pretty sure the average household PC and office PC would be using low cost PSUs. In fact, other than gamers and enthusiasts, nobody would pay much attention the quality of the PSU. This obviously has an effect on the life various components in the rig. I'm guessing that branded laptops may be using better quality stuff, but who knows. I don't have the equipment to verify. However, the possible effect is very much there - that batteries charged off USB ports don't seem to hold nearly as much juice. This is not just my experience, but has been observed by many. So there is plenty evidence to suggest that charging off a USB port may not be the best thing you may be doing for your expensive phone. At best, battery may hold less charge; and at worst, you may be reducing the life of your phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Raccoon

You mean to say while travelling its a crime to carry a charger. My point is simple. If the charge is down, just recharge it.

Unless you want a slightly heavier phone with a bigger battery your problem of lesser battery life will never be resolved.

May be advancement in technology will lead to smaller batteries giving better life and i still believe people will opt for devices which are not so ok in battery and go down on size.

For example if there is atechnology that gives 2 days battery life for the S2(lets say) i am pretty sure people will be ok to get a slimmer S2 with a 1 day battery life using the same technology which will push more energy in a smaller size battery.

I simply dont whine for charging my phone. Its just part and parcel of having a device as big as a tablet.

Gone are the days of using Nokia where the phone was heavy, clumsy and had great battery life because the battery itself was heavy and big.
What you say has a point. We all would like slimmer, lighter devices, however, one has to find a balance between the two. For eg. most manufacturers still seem to think that battery back up is the last priority. For eg. take phones like the Galaxy Ace. 3.5" screen, Android and just a 1350 mAh battery?! I know a few who need to charge it twice a day with moderate use! Besides, using battery in this way will severely shorten its life and you would need to replace it pretty soon. Why can't they at least supply a battery of 1500 - 1700? I'm pretty damn almost all users won't mind the very small increase in weight and cost. But no, for whatever reason, they do not consider it important, which is a shame. The Optimus One for eg. has a 1500 mAh battery and can plod along for some 2 days or a bit more, but only after disabling a lot of things and effectively turning it into a dumb phone.

Its well known that battery tech has not kept pace with advancements in other fields. Some major developments are required to take smart phones to the next level, if they are to remain "smart". Lithium Ion is not going to take us there.
Old 31st January 2012, 16:57   #7566
Senior - BHPian

A quick question. I rooted my phone with zergrush exploit and also flashed CWM recovery using CF root flasher.

Now if want to revert back to stock recovery and unroot (don't ask me why I want to do that, I just want to) I will have to download the stock firmware and place it in the zimage folder and use the CF root flasher again.

My question is, I already have a file "zimage" in the folder "zimage" of CF root flasher directory. Should I leave that alone while placing the stock firmware or should I replace it with the stock firmware file(s)?

Edit: This is for Galaxy Note and firmware is KL3
Old 31st January 2012, 17:05   #7567
BHPian

Hi friends please suggest me a android phone. I was planning 3 months back itself but my exams stopped me from buying one and getting distracted.

Requirements:

Looks professional ( preferably touch screen or QWERTY is also fine)
Budget 12k. No strict budget as such. I am ready to shell out more if it is worth.
Android 2.3
good browsing capabilities.

Came across Galaxy Ace. I heard that the battery life is very bad and also the internal memory is very low.

Motorola Fire XT 530- Not available in the retail markets, however available on online shopping sites. It seems to be ok. Expert opinion required.

Motorola Fire XT Qwerty - I didn't like the model as such.But if it meets my requirements, i am ready to go.

Motorola Defy + : My friend says it hangs a lot.

I need all your suggestions. Please

Last edited by rki2007 : 31st January 2012 at 17:07. Reason: spelling errors
Old 31st January 2012, 17:12   #7568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
.. I am unable to get the phone to display on the My Computer window of my laptop.

When I connect my Galaxy R to my laptop I get a notification - USB Connected / MTP - Connected.
If you want to use Samsung Kies, there are certain aettings you must enable re USB. Google some Galaxy support groups for the run-around.
I am now not using Kies at all, finding it pretty dumb, and more importantly, I wanted to be able to send sms texts through the PC when my Galaxy I9003 was connected.
I now use MyPhoneExplorer. The latest version is great, and even allows me to put the phone screen onto my PC and use it with the mouse.
Old 31st January 2012, 18:10   #7569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Requirements:

Looks professional ( preferably touch screen or QWERTY is also fine)
Budget 12k. No strict budget as such. I am ready to shell out more if it is worth.
Android 2.3
good browsing capabilities.

Came across Galaxy Ace. I heard that the battery life is very bad and also the internal memory is very low.

Motorola Fire XT 530- Not available in the retail markets, however available on online shopping sites. It seems to be ok. Expert opinion required.

Motorola Fire XT Qwerty - I didn't like the model as such.But if it meets my requirements, i am ready to go.

Motorola Defy + : My friend says it hangs a lot.

I need all your suggestions. Please
Defy is the best of the lot and it has a large internal memory too - It does not hang if you know what you are doing..Go for it!
Old 31st January 2012, 18:27   #7570
Senior - BHPian

^^^From the options you have mentioned -
Ace - Pathetic battery back up. Possibly best in class camera. Looks relatively good.

Fire XT - Overall, not reported to be a good phone. Poor screen quality. I like the looks though.

Fire QWERTY - Not worth it. 600 MHz proccy!

Defy+ - Best amongst those you have mentioned. But still pics and video capture not good. Does not look so good.

Why not consider the SE Neo, Optimus Hub, etc., also?
Old 31st January 2012, 18:38   #7571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^From the options you have mentioned -
Ace - Pathetic battery back up. Possibly best in class camera. Looks relatively good.

Fire XT - Overall, not reported to be a good phone. Poor screen quality. I like the looks though.

Fire QWERTY - Not worth it. 600 MHz proccy!

Defy+ - Best amongst those you have mentioned. But still pics and video capture not good. Does not look so good.

Why not consider the SE Neo, Optimus Hub, etc., also?
Ya SE NEO V is what i recently came across and it seems to be great from all the reviews i have seen.

Optimus hub - overall seems to be good. But just 152 MB internal memory. Also looks very pale.

same price range:- Which is better defy + or Neo V

Lower range-- Optimus Hub???? or shall i settle down with Galaxy Y (still lower price) without breaking head too much

Last edited by rki2007 : 31st January 2012 at 18:45.
Old 31st January 2012, 19:09   #7572
Senior - BHPian

For what it matters, my baby boy uses the Defy regularly as a teether - as he does with everything else. Of course, I put it into airplane mode before giving it to him.

So far so good. Its certifiably drool proof so far

RKI - Defy does NOT hang at all man. Only if you install a bleeding edge ROM (which most guys shouldn't do - or if they do, they should not crib later) do you get force closes. But the defy in particular has had reasonably good ROM development and few unstable ROMs really.

Edit: galaxy Y (320x240 screen) is a piece of crap if u are considering neo and defy+ as well
Old 31st January 2012, 20:24   #7573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Ya SE NEO V is what i recently came across and it seems to be great from all the reviews i have seen.

Optimus hub - overall seems to be good. But just 152 MB internal memory. Also looks very pale.

same price range:- Which is better defy + or Neo V

Lower range-- Optimus Hub???? or shall i settle down with Galaxy Y (still lower price) without breaking head too much
Optimus Hub - Looks are not great but not too bad either. Its a bit thick though. The cam is reported to be surprisingly good. 1500 mAh battery is a big plus. Priced less than Ace (overpriced for what it offers), if you know where to get it for less...

Galaxy Y?! Don't even consider it if you your thinking of these other phones. All your other options outclass it by far. In you don't want to spend more, consider Optimus Net. I'd not go lower than that if I were you. However, its the worst looking phone I'v seen. If you can live with that, it offers the best features for the price.

As for Defy or Neo, I feel the choice isn't very difficult. Defy, if you are going to be rough with your phone. Neo if you can be careful. Neo's cam for both still pics and video seem MUCH better than the Defy. Not to mention it looks a lot better. Personally I'd go for the Neo anyday, as I'm very careful with my stuff. However, seems that Neo suffers from weak Wifi. SE changed the mobo of my friend's phone for that reason. I'd not be happy at all if such things need to be done for a new phone. Not sure if they have addressed the issue by now... check it out.

Last edited by Raccoon : 31st January 2012 at 20:31.
Old 31st January 2012, 20:50   #7574
Senior - BHPian

@RKI You can look at HTC Explorer, I picked it up at 11K, have been happy so far with the experience. It may not have earth shattering performance but I did not feel that bad compared to the old Iphone 3G which I had used occasionally earlier.
Old 31st January 2012, 23:48   #7575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
A quick question. I rooted my phone with zergrush exploit and also flashed CWM recovery using CF root flasher.

Now if want to revert back to stock recovery and unroot (don't ask me why I want to do that, I just want to) I will have to download the stock firmware and place it in the zimage folder and use the CF root flasher again.

My question is, I already have a file "zimage" in the folder "zimage" of CF root flasher directory. Should I leave that alone while placing the stock firmware or should I replace it with the stock firmware file(s)?

Edit: This is for Galaxy Note and firmware is KL3
The simplest way to do that is, download the stock firmware like KL3 and use PC ODIN to flash it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks