Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 11:23   #7816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Wait for 4.1 (or at least 4.0.1 or even
Current version is actually 4.0.3 and is fantastically stable.
Old 21st February 2012, 11:30   #7817
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Nexus S has already received the ICS upgrade. ICS is really awesome, Battery life has improved almost by 50% and Speed is also very good.
Does ICS support flash in browser now ? How has the browsing experience been, in comparison to Gingerbread ?
Old 21st February 2012, 11:44   #7818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Does ICS support flash in browser now ? How has the browsing experience been, in comparison to Gingerbread ?
To be frank I never had any flash issues with Browsing in Gingerbread or ICS. All the sites that I wanted to open run properly in the Dolphin HD browser. I have been running Custom ROMs from day 3 of the phone and It is more than 7 months now. Until ICS came the only disappointment was the battery (lasted 12-15 hours day with full time 2g/Wifi on) and lagging sometimes
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 13:14   #7819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Until ICS came the only disappointment was the battery (lasted 12-15 hours day with full time 2g/Wifi on) and lagging sometimes
ICS in my note has been far better on battery than stock gb and is pretty quick, slick and fast.

In fact i am just waiting for the CM9 more now or even the custom rom's based out of ICS rather than GB.

The ICS now looks like more the GB with custom rom and can only imagine that custom based ICS roms will be even better.
Old 21st February 2012, 13:41   #7820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
ICS in my note has been far better on battery than stock gb and is pretty quick, slick and fast.

In fact i am just waiting for the CM9 more now or even the custom rom's based out of ICS rather than GB.

The ICS now looks like more the GB with custom rom and can only imagine that custom based ICS roms will be even better.
Did you get ICS update for the Note? You confused me coz you are saying it is not custom one, could you please throw in more details?
Old 21st February 2012, 13:56   #7821
Senior - BHPian

@anilisanil.

There is a leaked samsung rom(Chinese) which is not custom rom. This rom has the complete samsung (junk) included and some chinese app as well.

I am using a Deodexed version of this rom uploaded in XDA by JamieD81(User id).
([CWM] I9220ZCLP1 stock deodexed leak rooted + softkeys mod + MMS fix - xda-developers)

I just flashed the above rom. Previously was on the non deodexed version of the same rom.

Chainfire added the root and CWM for this rom and have been using for i think last one week. Can definitely say the battery life is better and more importantly the UI feels far more slick and fast compared to GB>
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 14:59   #7822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@anilisanil.

There is a leaked samsung rom(Chinese) which is not custom rom. This rom has the complete samsung (junk) included and some chinese app as well.

I am using a Deodexed version of this rom uploaded in XDA by JamieD81(User id).
([CWM] I9220ZCLP1 stock deodexed leak rooted + softkeys mod + MMS fix - xda-developers)

I just flashed the above rom. Previously was on the non deodexed version of the same rom.

Chainfire added the root and CWM for this rom and have been using for i think last one week. Can definitely say the battery life is better and more importantly the UI feels far more slick and fast compared to GB>

Hi VW,

On my previous posts I have appreciated checkrom for the kinda rom's they have made for sgs2. Their ROM is currently on of the best for SGS2. The same guy has made a ROM for note also. Though i have not installed it as I did not go for note and instead I am waiting for SGS3, many have appreciated his Checkrom for note. You can give it a try and If i am not wrong it is a no wipe rom.
Old 21st February 2012, 15:18   #7823
Senior - BHPian

@Gadgetfreak

The checkrom is still based out of GB and not based on ICS. I had the checkrom before i installed the ICS.

The ICS is definitely a step forward and better when compared to the GB.

Checkrom with Franco Kernel was what i was using before moving to ICS. Waiting for a stable CM9 build so i can move to CM9 instead of any other custom roms.

My SGS is on CM7 and i have never felt the device so fast, stable and smooth in any other roms. So i will be infavor of cynogenmod over any other custom rom. More biased rather.
Old 21st February 2012, 15:24   #7824
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know if ICS can be installed (via a custom ROM) onto an LG P500 phone? Specifically asking since hardware acceleration and a faster processor is required for ICS.
Old 21st February 2012, 15:41   #7825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Anyone know if ICS can be installed (via a custom ROM) onto an LG P500 phone? Specifically asking since hardware acceleration and a faster processor is required for ICS.

Beta build on XDA, as with most ICS ports camera isn't working
Bluengel180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 16:22   #7826
Senior - BHPian

If I root my phone from stock firmware, will I loose my installed apps?

Also, I accidentally entered the code to factory reset my phone. Surprisingly, I didnt loose any apps or photos or videos. But some of the folders got deleted. Is there any software by which I can retrieve it back?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 21st February 2012 at 16:35.
Old 21st February 2012, 16:33   #7827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
If I root my phone from stock firmware, will I loose my installed apps?
No. Rooting will not cause any changes to your phone. basically rooting is providing super your access for your file system nothing else.

Apps may be lost once you flash a new rom onto your custom rom.
Gadgetfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 18:00   #7828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
The problem is that manufacturers install their own UI on top of Android. So most of the phones do not run plain Android. That is the reason we have to wait for the manufacturers to release their updates. This is the reason Samsung Galaxy is still running 1.5 and Xperia is running 1.6 with no news of an update to 2.2 .
It is not just UI else upgrade job can be finised in 2-4 weeks flat. When a manufacturer releases upgrade then it has to be 100% functionality working which means all the codecs , drivers , battery performance , call sucess rates meeting 100% KPI requirements and all prebundled apps to be working.

Also if someone has 100+ variants as per various markets and operators with long list of operator specific issues the OS upgrade becomes night mare because operator is a bulk customer and all the Op specific features ( commonly termed as bloatware) should work same as before.

If you have noticed many functionalities in initial few releases of custom ROMs don't work and people take it kindly and are supportive as it is work of few enthusiasts but if a manufacturer does it it will destroy the reputation forever.
Over and above passing all the confirmance tests and certifications required as per regulation of the land which makes cycle time as quite long.

I think best analogy I can give in automative terms is time needed for Mahindra Thar ARAI homologation described in thar thread while the product was already out in South African Market
amitk26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 22:28   #7829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
It is not just UI else upgrade job can be finised in 2-4 weeks flat. When a manufacturer releases upgrade then it has to be 100% functionality working which means all the codecs , drivers , battery performance , call sucess rates meeting 100% KPI requirements and all prebundled apps to be working.

Also if someone has 100+ variants as per various markets and operators with long list of operator specific issues the OS upgrade becomes night mare because operator is a bulk customer and all the Op specific features ( commonly termed as bloatware) should work same as before.

If you have noticed many functionalities in initial few releases of custom ROMs don't work and people take it kindly and are supportive as it is work of few enthusiasts but if a manufacturer does it it will destroy the reputation forever.
Over and above passing all the confirmance tests and certifications required as per regulation of the land which makes cycle time as quite long.

I think best analogy I can give in automative terms is time needed for Mahindra Thar ARAI homologation described in thar thread while the product was already out in South African Market
very well put there Amit. Just to add, there would be so many platforms (chipsets), other Hardware (like screen, bluetooth module, GPS etc). Now there are multiple vendors for all these things hence handset manufacturers need to verify long term stability on each and every of these permutations and combinations.

Affectionately, this feature of Android is known as Fragmentation :-)

Funny thing is, despite all this, Androids still crash I wish they didnt do so much testing or they just gave us option to install latest version of vanilla Android before they do all their testing and came up with their update 6 months late!

Tell you guys a funny statistic. 8 out of 18 droids never see the latest Android version of the day!!! What it means is, its highly likely, unless you root, when you retire your droid, it wont be running on the latest Android version available at that time!
Old 21st February 2012, 22:39   #7830
BHPian

Been using my HTC Sensation for quite some time and currently on ICS and if this is what a leaked version of ICS is capable of, I can't imagine how the final version would be like.
Not only did it improve my battery performance but its so much faster, slicker and smooth.
Almost everything works,haven't really come across any major issues or glitches till date.

Most Viewed