Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 12:53   #7771
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
+1. Notification LED on my HTC is a very useful thing. With my ROM, I can set different styles of notification blink patterns and colors on it! Never knew it can show me white, pink, blue colors as well other than the default green & orange until I found the options in some apps!

You get a missed call/sms/e-mail/IM/reminder when you are away from your desk, all you need to do is just look at your phone to see if anything came up during your absence!
Spot on Clevermax Exactly what I meant to say. I am on stock rom and using an app called "light flow" from market which allows me to set colors of my choice and also blink pattern of any notification which come out of my android. Its really really useful. I have the following settings on my Neo now for LED.

1) Blinking green when charged to 100% (Stock LED gives a constant green at 90%)
2) Yellow for corporate mail
3) Blue for SMS/MMS
4) White for gmail.

Also there are settings to disable these at off-peak hours.
It really is a very useful thing for my kinda usage. It helps a lot when you need to be in a "silent" situation like in a cinema hall or in a meeting. Great and useful piece of simple hardware there. I don't know why some manufacturers simply omit this thing in this age when lot of corporate customers are switching from BB to Android.
Old 17th February 2012, 22:22   #7772
BHPian

I am in the look out for a good dual sim android phone with 2 cameras, 3G, GPS, blue tooth and other standard features. My budget is between 17K to 20K. Request suggestions from my wise fellow bhpians.
Old 17th February 2012, 22:34   #7773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
......but I am the one who decided against S2 because of the lack of notification LED...
Well... my Galaxy S I9000, after updating to ICS has started using the softkey lights to notify text messages, emails, IM etc.

Having extensively used to SE fones like T105, P990i, P1i (which has got a prominent notification LED) before switching over to Galaxy S, the feature was sorely missed. But that was only till the fone was running the other versions of Android. After the update, am quite happy that I get some kinda visual alert. However the customization options are very very limited.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 17th February 2012 at 22:39.
Old 17th February 2012, 22:45   #7774
Senior - BHPian

Guys

My question may be a bit naive, but I wanted you gurus to respond.

What happens if one travels to another country, say US, with one's smart phone? I do know that the Indian SIM will work there (though calls are very expensive and inward sms is free).

But what about 2G internet? Like the one costing Rs 99 per month in India? Does one have to subscribe to a local provider? Can one do so with the Indian SIM?

Assuming one needs to change to a US SIM, and one decides not to do so, will GPS/ maps work? Or is that also internet dependent?

Last edited by vnabhi : 17th February 2012 at 22:47.
Old 17th February 2012, 22:58   #7775
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Managed to get my htc Wildfire S rooted after unlocking the bootloader. Eerie to see both Bootloader Unlocked and S-ON at the same time. Now am trying to flash the CWM recovery to get nandroid backup / recovery going. Have the .img file of the latest and at a loss on how to flash it. Have Titanium, SU, etc. all going. Also, installed Devanagri fonts. Surprised to see no Indian fonts in an India specific model.
Old 17th February 2012, 23:09   #7776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
What happens if one travels to another country, say US, with one's smart phone? I do know that the Indian SIM will work there (though calls are very expensive and inward sms is free).
You get royally screwed up. Period

It all depends on the Indian carrier you use. You will have to get your International Roaming activated and make a caution deposit if necessary, if you are on a postpaid connection.

Quote:
But what about 2G internet? Like the one costing Rs 99 per month in India? Does one have to subscribe to a local provider? Can one do so with the Indian SIM?
Check this out Airtel

You will be billed as per the Intl' roaming rates which would be as high as 6000 rupess for a 10Mb unit of download using AT&T network.

Quote:
Assuming one needs to change to a US SIM, and one decides not to do so, will GPS/ maps work? Or is that also internet dependent?
Your GPS needs to work in tandem with a DATA connection to display the location accurately. However most countries in the west are well connected by WIFI networks. You may even subscribe for one such service. That should work out much much cheaper for sure.

If you are really looking for a solution here and you be will staying out of India for a reasonable period of time, the best bet would be to get a local SIM card of that country

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 17th February 2012 at 23:11.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 23:53   #7777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Your GPS needs to work in tandem with a DATA connection to display the location accurately.
It doesn't need to, at least not for accuracy. Remember, the whole GPS system has its roots in marine navigation, far, far, far out of the reach of any cellphone tower.

The "A" in AGPS is assisted, and it is assisted by the cellphone network telling it roughly where it is. This makes it easier to find itself in the first place, giving a faster initial fix. It probably also helps it through areas where it cannot see the satellites.

I never used a data connection on my Nokia: its positioning was always pretty accurate. On my new (well, wife's, actually) toy, I haven't much taken it out of the house yet. It's position by wifi/A-GPS is a couple of streets out.
Quote:
Your GPS needs to work in tandem with a DATA connection to display the location accurately.
Of course, it may need the data connection to display your location on a map!
Old 18th February 2012, 00:38   #7778
Senior - BHPian

Review on the newly leaked ICS for Note.

- The interface has undergone some good changes
- The phone feels twice snappier and smoother compared to stock gb.
- Was using Check rom V5 and can say the ICS stock can match any custom rom currently available for Note with respect speed, response and snapness.
- All fucntions working except the video player which struggles to play certain formats. Dice player is there anyway
- Gtalk looks different. Could be my warm setting on the display
- Task manager is just fun to use
- Status bar has got some minor tweaks.

Overall a great looking ICS that works absolutely well. There is a marked difference in speed and performance in this under clocked 1.2GHZ rom.
Old 18th February 2012, 08:50   #7779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
It doesn't need to, at least not for accuracy. Remember, the whole GPS system has its roots in marine navigation, far, far, far out of the reach of any cellphone tower.
Absolutely! that's how standalone navigation devices like MapmyIndia, Garmin work too.

Quote:
The "A" in AGPS is assisted, and it is assisted by the cellphone network telling it roughly where it is. This makes it easier to find itself in the first place, giving a faster initial fix. It probably also helps it through areas where it cannot see the satellites.

I never used a data connection on my Nokia: its positioning was always pretty accurate. On my new (well, wife's, actually) toy, I haven't much taken it out of the house yet. It's position by wifi/A-GPS is a couple of streets out
Well... that sounds technically correct. But practically, for quick locking of satellites you pretty much need a data connection. Or atleast that's how my Galaxy S works.

Quote:
Of course, it may need the data connection to display your location on a map!
That's precisely what I was trying to convey
Old 18th February 2012, 09:19   #7780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels

Well... my Galaxy S I9000, after updating to ICS has started using the softkey lights to notify text messages, emails, IM etc.

After the update, am quite happy that I get some kinda visual alert. However the customization options are very very limited.
I would recommend that u try this application callled NoLED. As u might know, in an led screen there is no backlight, so only the pixels that are displaying a colour are backlit.
While the rest of the screen showing black is using no power at all. This application has themes for the notification icons that it uses and lots of customisation options. Try it, i have been using it for quite sometime with no adverse effect on the battery.

http://www.forum.xda-developers.com/...d.php?t=730692
Old 18th February 2012, 09:50   #7781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
You get royally screwed up. Period

You will be billed as per the Intl' roaming rates which would be as high as 6000 rupess for a 10Mb unit of download using AT&T network.

That's daylight robbery! Like paying Rs 500 for browsing team-bhp for a few minutes. Sigh, I guess it is better to take the old mobile phone for such trips and remain on free inward sms mode for the duration of the trip.

I guess getting a local pre-paid SIM with data will work out to be a lot cheaper in case one needs to use the smart phone. It is difficult to live without a smart phone once you get used to having one.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:17   #7782
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

A-GPS works by triangulation from the towers, so is never very accurate. 1km is a good guess (esp. on CDMA, may be 300m on GSM)
Old 18th February 2012, 10:20   #7783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That's daylight robbery! Like paying Rs 500 for browsing team-bhp for a few minutes. Sigh, I guess it is better to take the old mobile phone for such trips and remain on free inward sms mode for the duration of the trip.

I guess getting a local pre-paid SIM with data will work out to be a lot cheaper in case one needs to use the smart phone. It is difficult to live without a smart phone once you get used to having one.
T-mobile has good prepaid plan. For $50/month you get unlimited voice, text and data.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2012, 10:34   #7784
BHPian

Android gurus, please help !!! Has anyone used an Unlocked Atrix 2 here in India? My friend bought one from US and everything is working fine but he cant get 3G sim to work It either simply shows as EDGE or sometimes 4G but internet is not working. Below mentioned are the details.

1) When phone shows EDGE, internet is working fine.
2) When 4G icon is shown, there is no internet
3) Tried using both Docomo and BSNL 3G activated sims.
Old 18th February 2012, 10:34   #7785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
A-GPS works by triangulation from the towers, so is never very accurate. 1km is a good guess (esp. on CDMA, may be 300m on GSM)
then your android's GPS needs patching with stuff like [DEC.05.2011] Instantaneous GPS Fixation v1.2! *FOR ALL ANDROIDS PHONES!* - xda-developers

my Defy picks up 6-9m signal while moving in traffic at 15-20 kph within a minute!

Most Viewed