Old 10th April 2021, 01:27   #30436
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Stock Android Device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Guys!
Any views on 'OnePlus 9R'?
I had a budget of 30K but should bump it up by 10K to get this device.
Is it worth the same?

Some cons are absence of 3.5mm jack and NOT so balanced stereo speakers.
Only other option as of now is 'Samsung A72' with considerably older chipset and One UI(Unlike Stock Android) OR is there any others?

Please advise!
The OnePlus 9R is indeed a great device and IMO, the more practical choice when comapred to the regular OnePlus 9. It is worth 40k considering that you are getting a flagship level chip, 120 Hz display, Oxygen OS etc.

However, in case you are more willing to go for Samsung brand, other than the A72, the 'current' S20 FE 4g is the device to go for. It is being phased out and stocks are diminishing, so grab one as soon as you can-

https://www.amazon.in/Test-Exclusive...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

Now, there is one more alternate in the form of the S20 FE 5G but it is priced at 48k with 2k cashback via Samsung Shop app. However, Samsung is advertising it as costing 39,999 and from what I have heard, it is available offline at that price with a scheme of extra cashback of 6k for your old phone or something like that. You might want to verify. One more alternate would be to wait for the 'upcoming' S20 FE 4G.

Now the reason why we are going to have a new S20 FE 4G is that Samsung has completely stopped the production of the Exynos 990 which was earlier powering the device. Thus, the upcoming 4G version would be powered by Snapdragon 865. While its price is yet to be revealed, I would guess it would be lesser by atleast 3-4k, bringing its price closer to 40k.

Just so that you know, the Snapdragon 870 in the 9R is an overclocked version of the 865+, which was an overclocked version of the 865. Thus, the performance differences between the FE and the 9R would be negligible.

I would go on to say that the S20FE 5G and the upcoming 4g do make for a better choice compared to the 9R.

As far as the current 4g version is concerned, the Exynos 990 is a decent chip in itself but you can expect a 20% lesser performance when compared to the Snapdragon 870 if not more. However, it is a superior chip when compared to the A72 and you saving around 5k if you for the current 4g FE when compared to the 9R. Makes for a good middle ground.

Another choice is the s10 lite which is available for 36k-

https://www.flipkart.com/samsung-gal...mb6f6f7cc402e7

Between the current FE 4G and the S10 lite, it's a tough choice. If you more into gaming, the S10 lite should be the choice as its processor is better, but for an average user, I still feel that the FE offers more.

Also, do check offline markets for any leftover stock of the original S20. They were last available for early 40 thousands before going out of stock.

To sum it up, within a strict budget of 40k, the 9R is a great choice. If you are more inclined towards Samsung, would suggest waiting for either the upcoming S20 FE 4G or pull the trigger on the last few remaining stocks of the current FE 4G or the normal S20.

2 more things-

1. I wouldn't give much importance to the '5g' in the OnePlus 9R since it supports only 1 5G band and is thus, a token 5G phone.

2. The current version of the Oxygen OS looks very similar to Samsung's One UI with multiple reviewers stating the same. Even I felt the same.

Last edited by AYP : 10th April 2021 at 01:42.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:55   #30437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
To sum it up, within a strict budget of 40k, the 9R is a great choice. If you are more inclined towards Samsung, would suggest waiting for either the upcoming S20 FE 4G or pull the trigger on the last few remaining stocks of the current FE 4G or the normal S20.

2 more things-

1. I wouldn't give much importance to the '5g' in the OnePlus 9R since it supports only 1 5G band and is thus, a token 5G phone.

2. The current version of the Oxygen OS looks very similar to Samsung's One UI with multiple reviewers stating the same. Even I felt the same.
I am NOT keen on 'Samsung' per se. All I am looking for is a stock android device with decent AMOLED screen, stereo speakers and OIS camera. I am NOT looking at their 5G capabilities.

Are you sure about Oxygen OS being similar to One UI? If I am hearing correctly, you mean to suggest Samsung devices also have near stock android look and feel.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 12:25   #30438
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure about Oxygen OS being similar to One UI? If I am hearing correctly, you mean to suggest Samsung devices also have near stock android look and feel.
Actually, I mean to say that Oxygen OS has deviated from its near stock android feel and gravitated in the other direction. You may want to check out some of the reviews(the good ones) to see the reactions on the latest Oxygen OS.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 13:57   #30439
BHPian

Quote:
I am NOT keen on 'Samsung' per se. All I am looking for is a stock android device with decent AMOLED screen, stereo speakers and OIS camera. I am NOT looking at their 5G capabilities.
I wonder why you haven't locked the Google Pixel 4a yet which fulfills all of your requirements.
Old 10th April 2021, 14:52   #30440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I wonder why you haven't locked the Google Pixel 4a yet which fulfills all of your requirements.
Well, couple of reasons. I need a device with 2 sim slots(e-sim doesn't count) and also support for call recording.
Old 11th April 2021, 07:55   #30441
BHPian

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anyone know the differenced between the Samsung F62 and M51. On paper, the only differences are that the F62 uses the Exynos 9825 (apprently an old flagship grade) vs the M51 which uses a Snapdragon 730g midrange chipset. Both also cost around the same. Which one would be the better buy. Apprently the M series Samsungs do not get complete One UI but only a core One UI. Does the F62 series receive full One UI?
avi550m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2021, 09:54   #30442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Anyone know the differenced between the Samsung F62 and M51. On paper, the only differences are that the F62 uses the Exynos 9825 (apprently an old flagship grade) vs the M51 which uses a Snapdragon 730g midrange chipset. Both also cost around the same. Which one would be the better buy. Apprently the M series Samsungs do not get complete One UI but only a core One UI. Does the F62 series receive full One UI?
Yes, F62 has the full version of the 3.1 One UI. The M51 has the core version. Other than the chipset they are mostly the same.

Keep in mind, the Exynos 9825 has not been optimized to be used in the F62 ( It did perform quite admirably in the Note 10 series). Even though on paper it is a strong SOC, there is constant heating that is experienced even with day to day tasks and of course it throttles at the slightest stress.

I would recommend the M51 just for piece of mind. However, F62 is eligible for 3 updates where as M51 started with 10 and is now on 11. The decision will lie if you use the apps missing in the core One UI.

Have a look at the new A52.

Last edited by bigron : 11th April 2021 at 09:57.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 17:25   #30443
BHPian

The Android 11 update for Oneplus 7T seems to have been suspended ? I never got the notification and its been almost 3 weeks since the update was rolled out. The official forum is filled with reports of bugs plenty and furious fanboys ! Having so many phones to maintain isn't helping. From 2 phones a year to almost 8-9 phones last year is surely giving the software guys a hard time. There have been reports of even the flagship $1000 OP 9 Pro having heating issues. No wonder they don't have time for the last gen flagships.

My wife has a 3 year old OP 5T and it runs like butter still, just like it was new, battery included. However got a new battery for 1700 bucks just in case they decide to discontinue spares. Aside from the terrible camera, I believe its gonna last 2 more years easy. Anyone here flashing ROMs still ? I can see good reviews for the Lineage 18.1.

Last edited by coldice4u : 12th April 2021 at 17:35.
Old 12th April 2021, 17:31   #30444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
The Android 11 update for OnePlus 7T seems to have been suspended ? I never got the notification and its been almost 3 weeks since the update was rolled out...
I got a notification 2 days after rollout began, was auto-downloaded a couple days later (I forgot to turn that option off), but I didn't install. Rather apparent they pushed out the last beta release dressed up as 'stable' (some developers dug out detailed system logs where several components were still labeled beta).

The notification was gone about a week or so later, and hasn't reappeared.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 19:32   #30445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
The Android 11 update for Oneplus 7T seems to have been suspended ? I never got the notification and its been almost 3 weeks since the update was rolled out. The official forum is filled with reports of bugs plenty and furious fanboys !
I have been using the 7T on the OxygenOS 11 Beta for around 2-3 months now. While initially there were many bugs related to charging and auto brightness calibration, those were ironed out. Right now the only issue I face is occasional stutters while using the phone which is surprising as my 5T which I use as a secondary phone still runs butter smooth.
OnePlus is becoming poor with software updates these days. Even Xiaomi and Realme phones are getting the new Android updates and security patches quicker. Hope they go back to their old ways soon.
Old 13th April 2021, 07:50   #30446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Who handles after-sales servicing of the Pixel phones in India. It is the only android phone I can find which is compact, but I don't know about long term hardware support (e.g. replacing the battery after 2-3 years).
Old 14th April 2021, 10:04   #30447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Who handles after-sales servicing of the Pixel phones in India. It is the only android phone I can find which is compact, but I don't know about long term hardware support (e.g. replacing the battery after 2-3 years).
It is handled by a firm called B2X. You need to place a request on the Google support site or contact Google support for a Pixel service request. They will pick your phone from your house, ship it to their service center, check and asses the damage, intimate you on the costs involved and once you approve the repair will be done and post that the phone will be shipped to you. They will charge you 500 at first as inspection/shipping charges which will be exempted if you opt for the repair or you will have to forego incase you don't want to repair seeing the repair costs. I did this once for my Pixel 3 and I was very happy with the way this was handled and very professional service.

Google is planning to launch the 5A in few other markets and atleast Indian market will get the mid variant of the Pixel in the coming years. So should be sorted from a service point of view.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 11:58   #30448
Distinguished - BHPian

So finally upgraded my phone from OnePlus 6T (8+128) to Oneplus 9R (12+256) today.
There is a scheme running on the Oneplus India website to get 10% cashback on Amex cards, so instead of the regular price of 43,999 , I got it for a little less than 40K.
Received the phone today and have set it up and started using it now.

First Impressions:
1) Compared to the Oneplus 6T, the screen is much clearer and more vibrant. When you compare the two side by side, the Oneplus 6T looks quite washed out.
The Brightness level of the 9R can go as high as 1100 Nits while the Oneplus 6T maxed out at 453 Nits - so in daylight it should have much better visibility

2) The Oneplus 9R has a flat screen and there is no tinting / discoloration at any angle. In the Oneplus Nord (which my wife uses) there is slight tinting at an angle (but not major). In the Oneplus 9R there is no tinting at all

3) In terms of speed, for regular apps usage and internet browsing, the speed is just a little faster than the Oneplus 6t, but not too much in my experience

4) Battery charging is much faster with a 65W warp charger, which claims to charge in around 35 min (yet to test)

5) size wise, the Oneplus 9R is a little lesser in width than the Oneplus 6T . The Oneplus 9R has a 20:9 screen ratio while the Oneplus 6T had a 19.5:9 ratio

6) The bezels of the 9R are much slimmer on all side

7) the Oneplus 9R has a metal frame with Glass front and back. The Oneplus 6T was also similar

8) In terms of camera quality, too early to say, but it is definitely better than the 6T.
The Oneplus 9R has 4 cameras (Without any Hasselblad branding) and the main Camera of 48MP has OIS. Ironically, the Oneplus 9 (which is more expensive) does NOT have OIS and only has EIS.

Mine is the Lake blue colour and it is a nice subtle colour, though I wish it were darker and more smudge resistant - (will be getting a cover soon!)

More impressions to be shared as I use it over the next few days!
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2021, 12:06   #30449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

4) Battery charging is much faster with a 65W warp charger, which claims to charge in around 35 min (yet to test)
The 65W warp charging is a game changer. I now charge my phone only once a night when having dinner and its done by the time dinner is complete. All my future phones need to have this for sure, I am so used to this speed now
Old 19th April 2021, 20:05   #30450
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendations for a compact Android flagship ? By compact I mean around the 6 inch screen size mark.

I'm considering the S21 as it seems like a good deal with the cashbacks and watch active 2 free offer. The only other option I can think of is Pixel 4a, not a flagship but very thanks to the software, however the S21 with the offers seems like the better deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks