Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-1989.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by catchjyoti (Post 4824443)
I have ordered a Lenovo M10 tablet for my kid online. Need suggestions for kid-friendly tablet cover which can absorb shocks from drops.

While I see many available for iPads but almost none for Lenovo.

I had bought this on Amazon - "Generic Aboutthefit Lightweight Slim Shell Standing Cover with Auto Wake/Sleep Feature for Lenovo Tab 4, 10.1-inchX304 2017 Release"

This is holding up quite well over the last 2 years. The usage was just for byjus videos - and it was quite limited. However now this is being used for online classes.

My Brother- In-Law wants to buy a New Android Phone within a budget of 10000/-.

No offense meant to anyone but he does not want to go for Chinese Brand.

He has shortlisted the Models as below-
1. Samsung Galaxy M11=> 4GB-64GB
2. Nokia 3.1 Plus=> 3GB-32GB
3. Nokia 5=> 3GB-16GB
4. Nokia 4.2=> 3GB-32GB

Which of these should he go for? Or are there any other good phones?

Currently he has Redmi Note 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi (Post 4826200)

3. Nokia 5=> 3GB-16GB
4. Nokia 4.2=> 3GB-32GB

Nokia, if he takes a lot of pictures. Samsung if he wants the one UI multitasking features.

Me and wife use Samsungs. My sister uses a 2-year-old Nokia 5.1 plus. Somehow my sister manages to take the better photos when compared to both our phones. Not impressed with Samsung cameras in budget phones these days. The flagships is another story though. Take a look at the upcoming Nokia 5.3.

Quote:

3. Nokia 5=> 3GB-16GB
4. Nokia 4.2=> 3GB-32GB

Nokia brand for mobiles is currently used by HMD Global, all phones of HMD are completely manufactured in China though it is a Finnish company.
Phones of all brands have minimum 10% of the parts manufactured from China.

If you want you can look for either Samsung, Asus or LG phones which are non-chinese brands.
Samsung M11 is decent phone for the price.

Quote:

3. Nokia 5=> 3GB-16GB
4. Nokia 4.2=> 3GB-32GB

Nokia is manufactured in China. So that's out. I'd suggest Samsung - though just due to to their sheer size, they might be manufacturing some components in China. Maybe LG would be the best choice.

I am looking to buy a phone costing less than 11k. ( I want to give to someone). I have shortlisted Samsung and Asus. It appears there is a big problem in supply/chain. Asus is not available. Samsung M11 is the only option. My concern is that the display is PLS TFT 720 x 1560 268 ppi. Is this considered a bad display spec for a 11k phone?. How good/bad is the display?

I thought Nokia had a plant in Chennai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adithya.kp (Post 4826639)
How good/bad is the display?

If you are used to amoled panels from Samsung, then you will be disappointed. Other than that, display is at par with other brands in that price range. It is the same display as in M20, I used that for 2 days as a backup phone. If display is a priority, look for any other phone equipped with amoled panel from Samsung.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adithya.kp (Post 4826639)
I am looking to buy a phone costing less than 11k. ( I want to give to someone). I have shortlisted Samsung and Asus. It appears there is a big problem in supply/chain. Asus is not available. Samsung M11 is the only option. My concern is that the display is PLS TFT 720 x 1560 268 ppi. Is this considered a bad display spec for a 11k phone?. How good/bad is the display?

I would recommend not going for the m11s. TFT displays have poor viewing angles and outdoor visibility. Plus it comes with a 3 year old processor. It is going to be slow and jittery experience right out of the box.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, you can get a M30s or M21s which come with far superior display and processor.

In the Redmi 7S, there's an inbuilt security app. One can set app locks to different apps and can also hide apps. My question is, can the security app itself be hidden?

Note - I tried the "Hide App" that helps hiding sensitive content and the "Hide App" itself becomes a "calculator" to deceive naive users. But I want a simpler and safer trick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naveenroy (Post 4826497)
Nokia is manufactured in China. So that's out. I'd suggest Samsung - though just due to to their sheer size, they might be manufacturing some components in China. Maybe LG would be the best choice.

Not sure how these perceptions started.
HMD Global is a finnish company and the Nokia phones sold here are made in India. So, far I have bought 2 Nokia phones one for my father-in-law some time back and another one which I bought an year or so back. Both were made in India.
The attached pic shows the manufacturer address and it is of the Nokia mobile I am using now.
When Nokia re-entered India, initially their products were made in china, not any more.

Hi folks,
Any suggestions for a good phone with compact form factor? Budget: Under 15k. This will be a replacement for my Dad’s Redmi 4. Not an avid cellphone user; apart from regular calling, Whatsapp, Youtube, occasional camera is what the phone will be used for. Very minimal stuff.
Android is preferred; but off late there are hardly any Android phones with a form factor reminiscent to the Redmi 4.
And on the Apple side of things, it’s only the 2020 iPhone SE. But that is outta budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashvek3141 (Post 4833170)
Hi folks,
Any suggestions for a good phone with compact form factor? Budget: Under 15k.

I am happy with M31.

Sorry, just saw it is 17.5 K now.
I got it for ~15K during launch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinkara (Post 4833528)
I am happy with M31.

Sorry, just saw it is 17.5 K now.
I got it for ~15K during launch.

But that has a screen size of 6.4”. Looking for a compact phone, screen size in 5” ballpark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashvek3141 (Post 4833627)
But that has a screen size of 6.4”. Looking for a compact phone, screen size in 5” ballpark.

Look into body size instead of screen size. Market has moved on to bigger screens within same phone size, hence screen size can be a bit misleading. Nokia might have a few options in that range.