Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2005, 21:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

nokia n70..?!

hi guys...

i recently purchased the nokia n70, the first from the n-series. although it doesn't boast of a carl-zeiss lens, it does have a 2 mp. camera. plus, it's a 3G smartphone ( yea yea, i know: 3g isn't here yet, and it's gonna take some time to come; i'm just using it as an excuse, trying to justify it as "future-proof" ) with all the goodies that you could ask for, and has pretty decent camera and music quality.

but here's where i'm stuck. i couldn't find the exact specs of the phone anywhere, like processor speed, etc. also, i haven't heard too much about this phone, and no specific reviews on it.

can anybody give any further details..? also, what are your opinions about this particular nokia..? and, is it worth the price..? at about 27k, the phone has just about 20MB of internal memory, and has a 64 MB RS-MMC..

i know that asking about reviews on the phone might seem odd after i've already purchased the damn thing, but it's just that i want to know what others' opinions are, and also the exact specifications, like processor speed, O.S reliability, etc...which reminds me: is the series 60 platform good enough...? and oh yes, how does this particular piece compare with the recent crop of S.E phones ...? i've used S.E phones before, and i've seen the W800i, so i'm curious about the features...
Old 8th November 2005, 21:15   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Here you go
Review of the phone http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_70-review-53.php
Review of the camera http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_70-review-53.php
Just dont browse around the website too much or you will realise how your phone is not "future-proof" The new N series range is due soon... its got some serious features to it - 3mp camera, WiFi etc etc.
-Is the N91 out yet?Price?

Last edited by Sahil : 8th November 2005 at 21:16.
Old 8th November 2005, 21:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
also, what are your opinions about this particular nokia..? and, is it worth the price..? at about 27k, the phone has just about 20MB of internal memory, and has a 64 MB RS-MMC..
Dont ask for opinions AFTER buying stuff. You will usually be left kicking yourself.

Quote:
i know that asking about reviews on the phone might seem odd after i've already purchased the damn thing, but it's just that i want to know what others' opinions are, and also the exact specifications, like processor speed, O.S reliability, etc...
You're amazing! No - unbelievable! Plonk 27k on a gadget without reading up on it? There's tonnes of stuff on the net - just google and regret!

Quote:
which reminds me: is the series 60 platform good enough...? and oh yes, how does this particular piece compare with the recent crop of S.E phones ...? i've used S.E phones before, and i've seen the W800i, so i'm curious about the features...
Series 60 is a decent platform with a lot of software written for it. First thing for you would be the automatic call recorder from Natural Widgets which allows you to record your phone calls - I find that quite dandy.

Just go to www.my-symbian.com or www.allaboutsymbian.com to start looking for software and links to Series 60.

www.cellular.co.zw is also a good site to start reading up.

I cant get over the fact that you're asking for reviews AFTER buying a phone..you dork!
Old 8th November 2005, 21:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Gaahh....

at least it's a good phone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeroid
Dont ask for opinions AFTER buying stuff. You will usually be left kicking yourself.
i never thought the reviews would be BAD...maybe average...so took a shot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeroid
I cant get over the fact that you're asking for reviews AFTER buying a phone..you dork!
ohkay...guilty as charged...

but hey- as it is, the phone has more features than i'm gonna use, so i guess it's okay...

so what if it ain't gonna be the best damn phone; at least it's better than average...and according to the reviews, it DID win the "best phone" award once, so i guess that cuts it for me...he..he...
Old 8th November 2005, 21:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

3G will be here soon teh way things are going. but i guess it would take another one year (?) atleast. and by that time newer M or P or Q series would be out.

So dont regret. be trendy.

and I have seen phone with 5 mil pixel and with optical zoom. ( alright it was by samsung, and in S.korea) .

and Natural Widgets is new to me. thanks Steeroid. T68i could record calls but P910i couldnt!

let me start googling
Old 8th November 2005, 21:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
and Natural Widgets is new to me. thanks Steeroid. T68i could record calls but P910i couldnt!
Series 60 platform seems to quite flexible for call recording and other phone-pda interfaces - there are about 1/2 a dozen free call recording applications out there on the net for Series 60, but surprisingly NONE yet for UIQ (P800/900/Motorola A1000, etc)

Good 3G coverage is quite cool - you dont need WiFi anymore. You can also substitute your broadband at home with your mobile, if the price is right. Plus the added benefits of video conferencing. Apparantly the biggest driver of 3G usage is Adult Content....I doubt if we would see that in India, even if the operators would be salivating at the prospect.

Last edited by Steeroid : 8th November 2005 at 21:48.
Old 8th November 2005, 22:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

the price ! thats wher stuff stop. i never went for 3G when i was in uk. donno why and they did take 2 yrs to get teh tech perfected there. now the coverage is ok, BUT people still buy it for teh free talk time they give. and few even give high tech handsets with good battery life.

but wasnt N90 better? and aint P990i far better :P
Old 9th November 2005, 02:13   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@Steeriod - Thnx for those software links... I have a 6681 and i found a bunch of things on there that would work on my phone...but wat attracted me the most was the MSNlite messenger which works thru GPRS. Has anyone used this software via GPRS?Just wanna know how well it works.
Old 9th November 2005, 09:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
@Steeriod - Thnx for those software links... I have a 6681 and i found a bunch of things on there that would work on my phone...but wat attracted me the most was the MSNlite messenger which works thru GPRS. Has anyone used this software via GPRS?Just wanna know how well it works.
Sahil

The BEST messenger for mobile devices - the undisputed king - is Agile Messenger (www.agilemobile.com) which supports multiple clients (MSN, AOL, Yahoo and something else), file sharing, voice chat, et al.

There's nothing even close to Agile in the market today, and its made in Thailand. Talk about India being the software destination of the world - we lag behind majorly in products and new technologies, preferring instead to outsource services. Shame!
Old 9th November 2005, 09:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Sahil

The BEST messenger for mobile devices - the undisputed king - is Agile Messenger (www.agilemobile.com) which supports multiple clients (MSN, AOL, Yahoo and something else), file sharing, voice chat, et al.

There's nothing even close to Agile in the market today, and its made in Thailand. Talk about India being the software destination of the world - we lag behind majorly in products and new technologies, preferring instead to outsource services. Shame!
cool software. try agile.
Old 9th November 2005, 09:20   #11
BHPian

hey..I had downloaded Agile Messenger for my Symbian OS Nokia 6630 recently.It doesn't work on Orange Mumbai network !!
It seems Orange EDGE/GPRS has blocked the Agile Servers..(But Agile worked well on my friends Airtel EDGE/GPRS service.
I also tried out some other Messaging service on the Nokia 6630 through my Orange Mumbai network,but even that program was blocked !
Enjoy with your new cell veyron1..by the way .. no words of thanks to veyron2 ,who must have bought the phone for you !..veyron 2 sir - please teach him(veyron1) some lesson !

cheers,
sr

Last edited by srasania : 9th November 2005 at 09:22.
Old 9th November 2005, 09:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania
hey..I had downloaded Agile Messenger for my Symbian OS Nokia 6630 recently.It doesn't work on Orange Mumbai network !!
It seems Orange EDGE/GPRS has blocked the Agile Servers..(But Agile worked well on my friends Airtel EDGE/GPRS service.
I also tried out some other Messaging service on the Nokia 6630 through my Orange Mumbai network,but even that program was blocked !
Enjoy with your new cell veyron1..by the way .. no words of thanks to veyron2 ,who must have bought the phone for you !..veyron 2 sir - please teach him(veyron1) some lesson !

cheers,
sr
Probably has something to do with either the port settings on the Orange network (some networks dont allow all ports or all protocols, but you SHOULD take it up with Orange - messenger usage will only push up their revenues, so why would they block it knowingly?) OR with the GPRS class settings on your device (shouldnt be, because you said the same device worked on AirTel).

PS: GUYS DONT FORGET TO DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL SKYPE TOO - ITS AVAILABLE FOR A LIMITED RANGE OF MOBILE DEVICES.

Last edited by Steeroid : 9th November 2005 at 09:25.
Old 9th November 2005, 13:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania

Enjoy with your new cell veyron1..by the way .. no words of thanks to veyron2 ,who must have bought the phone for you !..veyron 2 sir - please teach him(veyron1) some lesson
thanks. by the way, papa was there with me when WE bought the phone; although he refuses to touch the phone, using "complicated piece of crap" as an excuse. we had actually gone to purchase a p910 or W800, but both weren't available in stock, and N70 came in as a last moment decision....

boy, am i glad you didn't ask my dad to spank me there...LOL..
Old 9th November 2005, 13:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The agilemobile messenger is not free... the one on the website is a 7 day trial version after which it is charged. Anywhere that i can get the full version for free?
Skype is avaible only for pocket pc phones with wifi.
Old 9th November 2005, 15:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
The agilemobile messenger is not free... the one on the website is a 7 day trial version after which it is charged. Anywhere that i can get the full version for free?
Skype is avaible only for pocket pc phones with wifi.
I'm using the free version...how come???

Skype doesnt require WiFi - you can message and even make calls on GPRS/EDGE depending on your operator.

Most Viewed