Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2010, 23:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
The Spica supports 3G networks. However it does not have a front-facing video camera to support video calls.

I think the internal storage of Spica is its internal memory.

-Biju
Thanks Biju. But I am not very clear on the RAM part.

HTC Magic has 288MB RAM, and Spica has internal storage - Can I assume that Spica has just 180 MB RAM? Or is this some sort of internal memory and part of which is used as RAM?

What is the Read Only Memory of 512 MB doing in Magic? Is that where the OS is installed?

Last edited by clevermax : 28th July 2010 at 23:36.
Old 28th July 2010, 23:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks Biju. But I am not very clear on the RAM part.

HTC Magic has 288MB RAM, and Spica has internal storage - Can I assume that Spica has just 180 MB RAM? Or is this some sort of internal memory and part of which is used as RAM?

What is the Read Only Memory of 512 MB doing in Magic? Is that where the OS is installed?
Clevermax, I think the 180 MB of Spica is its RAM. All applications get added to this area. However I cannot understand why the HTC Magic would need 512 MB of ROM. The android 2.1 OS should not be more than 20-30 MB is my guess since the SDK kit is only 22 MB. Add a couple of more MBs for customized OS by HTC.

I think it would be best to wait for mobiles supporting Android 2.2 since that supports applications on SD card. The Spica is unlikely to get Android 2.2 officially.

-Biju
Old 29th July 2010, 08:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Biju for the inputs. I was getting so tempted to buy the Spica but now with this info, I guess I better wait..

I saw some other Galaxy phone's spec saying that it can support 2.2.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:04   #19
BHPian

Galaxy S will be upgraded to Android 2.2 . There is already a firmware for Android 2.2 on the Galaxy S that has been leaked recently, so Samsung is definitely working on it. Samsung has updated the Galaxy Spica to 2.1 and i think that will be the last upgrade for it. Also, I think the Spica is no longer being manufactured so it is rare to find one in the shops these days. For the features that it offers, it is definitely value for money, but I think it would be better to increase your budget and get a Galaxy S. The screen alone is worth the extra premium.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to break-in the ice, but android 3 will be requiring 1 Ghz CPU speed as a minimum requirement. Galaxy Spica run @ 600 Mhz one.

Android v3.0 Will Require 1 GHz Minimum
Old 29th July 2010, 11:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Sorry to break-in the ice, but android 3 will be requiring 1 Ghz CPU speed as a minimum requirement. Galaxy Spica run @ 600 Mhz one.
Galaxy Spica has a 800 MHz processor. The Galaxy S has a 1 GHz processor.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:23   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post

Android v3.0 Will Require 1 GHz Minimum
You are talking about Android 3.0, Spica won't even be updated to Android 2.2 . The Galaxy S, on the other hand has 1 GHz processor and will be updated to 3.0 .
Old 29th July 2010, 11:25   #23
BHPian

Whole List of Apps Installed!!

[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
[FONT=&quot]Sorry I was a little busy in office and Android Exploration!

I currently have 41 apps installed in Spica!!!

Before I list them, I will reply few queries here, Android System Info says Spica has Internal Memory (ROM) of 180MB and RAM of 160MB.

These numbers aren't fascinating however adequate for Android Usage. The main issue is its internal memory where the apps are stored. You need to keep uninstalling apps which are not required to create space for new ones!

I have managed to keep 38MB free of internal memory, however RAM various as per usage.

The best part of Spica is its superfast 800MHz ARM CPU. This what gives it an edge over others Android phone in under 20K range like HTC Tattoo, Legend, etc.

For a price of 12-13K its an amazing first Android phone!

Android OS is so dynamically changing that investing more is a risk, you never know if you will get the next upgrade! Especially after Android 2.X and 3.X branch is announced. You may have the hardware but may not be able to upgrade to 3.X

Below is list of all 41 apps including Fun/Games stuff I have installed. I havent commented on all, last few are left. I will do it in my next post:[/FONT]
I think once im done with these cycle, I will reset the phone and erase all the data and install only the ones which are good. By this I will cleanup all the unrequired apps/files/data/etc

Android System Info : Gives very detailed info on battery, memory etc, CPU load and processes, list of apps ( you can also uninstall other apps)

Android-Sync : Awesome app to sync your outlook with Android (Calendar and Phone Book)

Calendar Pad : Default calendar only shows present day on wiglet. So this one helps to show full month calendar on homescreen via widget.

QuickMark : helps to download apps using QR Code. Very helpful if you browse android sites on your laptop and want to download a good found app

Dolphin Browser HD : great browser

Morse Code : produces Morse code. Just for Fun!

LED Party Board : Displays whatever you want as scrolling LED display board! Just for Fun!

Solo Lite : guitar on your android. Just for Fun!

Dice: small app by which you can replace your old dice. Just for Fun!

Adobe Reader : PDF reader

F-Secure : Mainly for swipe unlock, sim change SMS, remote lock and wipe all without GPS/internet.

OperaMini : good browser

DroidCam : use your android as remote camera. Good app, useful plus fun too.

fring : all in one video calling/IM/VOIP/twitter app

xPiano : piano on android. Just for Fun!

Bluetooth File Transfer : Very useful for all your Bluetooth needs

Alarm Clock : installed it because default one doesnt have custom snooze time. :-)

ZP Dashboard : nice app with GPS, displays pitch, angle, etc, etc.

chompSMS : SMS manager, not the best but better than default.

Documents ToGO : Word and Excel viewer and editor

RMaps : good offline simple GPS app

OruxMaps : complex app with offline GPS, you need Atlas Map Creator to download maps and then transfer it to your device.

GPSTrackerLite : good GPS app for saving log with very detailed info

Droid PhoneControl : various uses, very useful for file transfer: Use WiFi instead of cable to communicate with your computer: • send files (both ways) • control mouse/keyboard (e.g. PowerPoint) • stream camera (black & white)

Punch 'em :
Action Potato
Advanced Task Killer Free
PapiJump
Slide Puzzle
File Expert
Party Light Free
JetVD-YouTube
TicTacToe
Daily Expense manager
Voice Recorder
Lookout
Tub Thumper
Picasa Tool
Mort Music Player
Contact Remover

ToDo list wiglet
Old 29th July 2010, 11:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

If these high end phones are like PCs (or any processing environment), the programs should be stored in ROM and RAM is used similar to PC. More ROM means more programs and more RAM should mean faster running of programs.

Will Motorola really unveil a 1.5 or 2 GHZ mobile phone by end of year? ARM has indicated that it will release processors in 1.5 GHz category and even dual core.

Last edited by srishiva : 29th July 2010 at 11:47.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Yup... my bad.. it's 800 mhz
Old 9th August 2010, 10:27   #26
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need some help with Google Maps on Spica (Android 1.6). How do you 'placemark' or save a place on the map? The option does not seem to be there...or am I missing something?

Also, how can I get the update to 2.1? Do I have to go to the service centre...sounds stupid. Even if I have to, where can I do this in Bangalore?
Old 12th October 2010, 15:03   #27
BHPian

My swiss-knife Andriod

Guys, im back from 2 months long trip to US. Was great fun. My android phone was of great help!

Here is list of things for which I used my phone without sim in airplane mode:

1) Click Geo-tagged photos
2) US has many places with free internet so quickly upload geo-tagged photos to Picasa using Picasa tool and share the link with friends and family
3) Download offline maps and use it as backup navigation using RMaps app
4) Record complete GPS tracks hotel to destination, famous places, etc including trekking!
5) Check email
6) Fring VOIP call to friends in india on gtalk using free hotel wifi
7) Had all my music collection on my 8GB microSD card and play it through AUX in our rented car using MortMusicPlayer which plays folder wise and also has many shortcuts
8) Use QuickMark to scan QR Code of items im interested in to buy at major shopping marts and later research on net before buying
9) Search something on google map (hotel/shop/dest) on laptop, click the picture of that and then feed the address in GPS device
10) Log all the expense using expensetracker app (very useful due to credit card/cash/forex confusions)

I hope your android device is helping you as much it does to me!
Old 12th October 2010, 15:23   #28
BHPian

@devrajman

You got an awesome deal man. I was confused between Galaxy Spica and Jet, i bought Jet 5 months back for 13.5k due to non-availability of Galaxy Spica at that time. But i am happy with it, the AMOLED screen and 5MP camera are just awesome although it loses on the OS front.
Old 12th October 2010, 15:34   #29
BHPian

@ricky_1605,
Jet was my second choice too due to its great specs and large bright AMOLED screen. It has same 800MHz CPU with more RAM and ROM and also more internal memory!

Hows is app availability for Jet?
Old 12th October 2010, 15:51   #30
BHPian

@devrajman

Well i have configured:
1. Exchange Active Sync for my Gmail (Push Email)
2. Google Maps and Route 66 for navigation
3. Nimbuzz for chat
4. Formula1 App for live race scores
5. Snaptu for news
6. Opera and the default Dolphin browser for surfing

btw Facebook and Twitter widgets are already installed. I don't think i need any other application

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks