Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-36.html)

I've heard some good reviews about the Sigma 30mm f 2.8 prime lens for the NEX range of cameras. I'm actually considering buying one for myself.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/0...k-of-the-year/

This lens costs only 200$ and comes with a lens pouch. There is also a micro four thirds version of this lens.

@vivekiny2k: Congratulations on your NEX 5R.

Looks like a nice lens, but cant seem to ind it anywhere in India, just like the 50mm 1.8 Sony lens. I spoke to a Sony dealer and he quoted me 50k for the 50mm 1.8, which costs 300 USD...

Here are a couple of shots taken from my NEX 6 with the 16 - 50mm kit lens. I feel that the sharpness seems to be lacking. Is it due to my photography skills or the lens? I will take the blame one me now until you guys let me know how you interpret these images.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 2958496)
I feel that the sharpness seems to be lacking. Is it due to my photography skills or the lens? I will take the blame one me now until you guys let me know how you interpret these images.

Well, without the exif, it is hard to tell. If you post something without removing the exif, we can make better judgment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 2958024)
Looks like a nice lens, but cant seem to ind it anywhere in India, just like the 50mm 1.8 Sony lens. I spoke to a Sony dealer and he quoted me 50k for the 50mm 1.8, which costs 300 USD...

Are you sure? It is listed for 7200 bucks here: http://camshot.in/Mirrorless-System-Lenses-Sony.html

Thanks for the link. Is that site trustworthy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav2000 (Post 2958539)
Thanks for the link. Is that site trustworthy?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2955987

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2958521)
Are you sure? It is listed for 7200 bucks here: http://camshot.in/Mirrorless-System-Lenses-Sony.html

Prices seem a bit fishy there. For example the SEL 18-200 is listed for Rs. 16500 with MRP as Rs. 18250 but on Sony India site the MRP for this lens is 49k. Surely there cant be this much of a difference (esp when Sony so fanatically control selling price of all their products). A 18-200 lens for 16.5k!!!

I shot a few movies with my OM-D. So I have the movie files in MOV format. How do i convert them to mp4/mkv now? Does Olympus give any conversion software? With their viewer application I was not able to find anything. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 2958631)
Prices seem a bit fishy there. For example the SEL 18-200 is listed for Rs. 16500 with MRP as Rs. 18250 but on Sony India site the MRP for this lens is 49k. Surely there cant be this much of a difference (esp when Sony so fanatically control selling price of all their products). A 18-200 lens for 16.5k!!!

Better email them and check. It does seem fishy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joslicx (Post 2958631)
I shot a few movies with my OM-D. So I have the movie files in MOV format. How do i convert them to mp4/mkv now? Does Olympus give any conversion software? With their viewer application I was not able to find anything. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Try handbrake. I converted all my mkv to mp4 using it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2958521)
Well, without the exif, it is hard to tell. If you post something without removing the exif, we can make better judgment.

Here are the relevant settings for the shots above:

(1) Shutter: 1/80, F 5.6, ISO 100
(2) Shutter: 1/100, F 5.6, ISO 100
(3) Shutter: 1/60, F 3.5, ISO 400
(4) Shutter: 1/50, F 5.6, ISO 200
(5) Shutter: 1/80, F 5.6, ISO 200

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 2958686)

my guess is this speed at tele end will have some shake. try similar shots on tripod with remote relase and see if it helps. or boost iso and you will trade shake for noise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 2958872)
my guess is this speed at tele end will have some shake. try similar shots on tripod with remote relase and see if it helps. or boost iso and you will trade shake for noise.

Shake is evitable but noise is not. I'm not convinced with the high ISO performance of the NEX 6. Noise is visible manifold times when I pump the ISO beyond 3200. Effectively speaking any pictures on the NEX 6 with ISO more than 3200 is useless.

But then do you really see some shake in those pictures above? I was wondering that the pictures aren't sharp enough. All those pictures excepting the Dolphins and Flamingos were shot wide angle. The Tiger and Lion exhibits are so close. The Tiger was sitting just 6 to 8 meters away from where I shot and the lion was about 8 to 10 meters away from my shooting position. I was really scared when I approached the tiger exhibit especially. Was so scared that I took just one picture and moved off quickly. If it were a Bengal tiger, the exhibit is not safe enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 2958875)
But then do you really see some shake in those pictures above? I was wondering that the pictures aren't sharp enough. All those pictures excepting the Dolphins and Flamingos were shot wide angle. The Tiger and Lion exhibits are so close.

if it was at wide end, why did you have such narrow aperture? if you are concerned specifically about your sharpness, you need controlled environment to test it. also, what focus mode? which is why samurai asked for complete exif.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 2958888)
if it was at wide end, why did you have such narrow aperture? if you are concerned specifically about your sharpness, you need controlled environment to test it. also, what focus mode? which is why samurai asked for complete exif.

I will have to check my Camera's manual about how I could get the complete exif data. Clicking exif on the image preview on my Mac OS, gave me those 3 settings and additional data about image size and so on. Let me see if I could get additional information. But anyways, thanks for your ideas and questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 2958899)
I will have to check my Camera's manual about how I could get the complete exif data. Clicking exif on the image preview on my Mac OS, gave me those 3 settings and additional data about image size and so on. Let me see if I could get additional information. But anyways, thanks for your ideas and questions.

Joe EXIF information is usually available in any jpeg file provided you don't resize or save it in some other format. You should be able to get EXIF by checking the properties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 2958686)

This is no good, we need the exif in the jpeg itself. Or post the screen shot of the full exif from the original file.