Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 21:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Problem when using Skype

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Hi,

Please let me know you feedback about RT-N56U in terms of signal strength and performance. Are you doing any media streaming, torrent download using this? If yes, please let me know the feedback on that also. I am planning to buy this router in India.

For the problem you are facing, have you updated the firmware or using it out of box? The out of box firmware in similar routers from Asus are known to awful and i ready many user reviews that issues are solved once some open source firmware is updated.

Regards
Deva
Hi Deva. The problem that I was facing was not a router issue. I believe it has something to do with the wireless network card on my laptop. The issue only happens when I am connected to the 5ghz network. When I connect to the 2.4ghz network, it works fine. So, I guess I'm stuck on the 2.4ghz network when using skype and other voip applications. I'm getting a new laptop shortly anyways, so I couldn't care less about fixing the old one... as long as it works right

I also tested this out on a macbook pro connected to the 5ghz network and skype and other voip applications work perfectly fine. So that rules out the possibility of this problem being a router issue.

The router so far has been brilliant. I did update the firmware to the latest version available on the asus website - the update went through fine without any problems. I have friends over at my place all the time, and they all connect their phones and laptops to the network when they are over. I think at one point, there were atleast 10-15 phones and laptops connected to the router and there were absolutely no problems whatsoever. I have never had to restart the router or anything like that.

The signal strength is really good. I do a lot of media streaming and torrent downloading, and the router has performed really well. The speeds I get are excellent. I also have an external hard drive connected to it, and I'm using the file sharing (FTP) option - which is quite useful for me. So, overall I am very satisfied with the router. It is a little expensive, but if you don't care about the cost, I would say go for it.

Last edited by majorpayne : 19th October 2011 at 21:49.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:18   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: VoIP Calling Software & Websites (eg. skype, magicjack etc)

In my Router or you call it as aWiFi modem has the slot for VOIP cable or plug. But so far I am not aware what is VOIP and whether we have the facility to use it with BSNL line. What are the advantages of VOIP in quality wise as well as economical savings in Bill.
Old 19th October 2011, 22:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
For people using iphone you should try this app caalled Viber. Free download and call using 3g. Works well, sound feels lil bit weird at first but works as long as your network is good.
Viber is for what purpose? Is it for Skype or VOIP.? If it is for VOIP please tell how to use it from Iphone. I directly use Skype software in iphone down loaded from itunes. It works well. Mine is iphone4 with 32 GB.
Old 20th October 2011, 09:21   #34
BHPian

Re: Problem when using Skype

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
Hi Deva. The problem that I was facing was not a router issue. I believe it has something to do with the wireless network card on my laptop. The issue only happens when I am connected to the 5ghz network. When I connect to the 2.4ghz network, it works fine. So, I guess I'm stuck on the 2.4ghz network when using skype and other voip applications. I'm getting a new laptop shortly anyways, so I couldn't care less about fixing the old one... as long as it works right

I also tested this out on a macbook pro connected to the 5ghz network and skype and other voip applications work perfectly fine. So that rules out the possibility of this problem being a router issue.

The router so far has been brilliant. I did update the firmware to the latest version available on the asus website - the update went through fine without any problems. I have friends over at my place all the time, and they all connect their phones and laptops to the network when they are over. I think at one point, there were atleast 10-15 phones and laptops connected to the router and there were absolutely no problems whatsoever. I have never had to restart the router or anything like that.

The signal strength is really good. I do a lot of media streaming and torrent downloading, and the router has performed really well. The speeds I get are excellent. I also have an external hard drive connected to it, and I'm using the file sharing (FTP) option - which is quite useful for me. So, overall I am very satisfied with the router. It is a little expensive, but if you don't care about the cost, I would say go for it.
Thanks a lot for the detailed information. I am checking for the shops/online sites to buy this in India/Chennai. I am seeing the price around 8.5K INR. I will go for this (unless i come across any better alternative in the mean time).
Old 20th October 2011, 10:32   #35
Senior - BHPian

I have skype and just love it, i have a 3G which gives good speed in terms of connection and smooth calls with my Xperia X10i, i have taken a unlimited world package which costs me around Rs. 660 and it is good, covers major countries which i need
Old 20th October 2011, 10:44   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Viber is for what purpose? Is it for Skype or VOIP.? If it is for VOIP please tell how to use it from Iphone. I directly use Skype software in iphone down loaded from itunes. It works well. Mine is iphone4 with 32 GB.
Viber is a VOIP. Got to download the app which is free and you can contact people who have this app for free. Actually the people whose number you have on your addressbook is displayed in the viber contacts.
Old 28th October 2011, 21:40   #37
BHPian

Now Google talk and Facebook both have video calling/chat fcacility.
I have used both and first experience seems to good with both.

Now my dilemma is -- shall I switch from skype to FB/gTalk ?
what are the possible issues I might face later on

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Old 12th December 2011, 21:23   #38
BHPian

Having tried GoogleTalk, I can say that Skype offers better call quality. With GoogleTalk, I often have an echo - it may be cheap equipment on either side of the connection but Skype seems to handle the same equipment better. I have also tried running a SkypeKit-based client for Skype but it didn't offer the same quality as the official Skype client (I would haved imagined both offer the same performance).
Old 12th December 2011, 21:46   #39
BHPian

I also find Skype to have better call/video quality compared to gtalk. I've not used the facebook video talk option as yet, but from what I understand, facebook is tied up with Skype for their video chat capabilities. So, I would assume that the quality is good.

The only time I would use google is when I need to do a conference video call. Conference video is free with google (google hangout), but it isn't free with Skype.
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:32   #40
BHPian

Residential VOIP phones in India

Hi,

This is my first post on Team-BHP. I request the mods to move this to the right forum if I have posted in an incorrect forum, thank you.

I am interested in knowing if any of you use VOIP phones at home, such as Vonage for example, but where the service provider is either open-source or is based in India.

The purpose would be to replace the existing BSNL phone line with the VOIP phone and completely do away with a land-line.

Incoming and outgoing calls will be within India mostly with occasional international use.

Thanks and cheers
Old 23rd November 2013, 02:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

Re: Residential VOIP phones in India

Interesting query but the last I remember, TRAI does not allow a call from internet telephony to land on a fixed line connection.

So I don't think this option is available.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd November 2013 at 04:20.
Old 23rd November 2013, 02:46   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Hi, This is my first post on Team-BHP. I request the mods to move this to the right forum if I have posted in an incorrect forum, thank you. I am interested in knowing if any of you use VOIP phones at home, such as Vonage for example, but where the service provider is either open-source or is based in India. The purpose would be to replace the existing BSNL phone line with the VOIP phone and completely do away with a land-line. Incoming and outgoing calls will be within India mostly with occasional international use. Thanks and cheers
Vonage works well, but makes sense only for international calls. personal experience . Do not think of it as an alternative for local calls or phone line .
Old 23rd November 2013, 03:40   #43
BHPian

Thank you, Technocrat & Sammyboy.

Sammyboy, I prefer not to use Vonage because:

1. It is an American company, not Indian; I do not want to jump through hoops to pay someone in Dollars from India;
2. They require a credit-card for automatic billing, and I am not willing to give them that. Plus, I do not do Paypal; and;
3. It is very easy to sign up with Vonage, but like "Hotel California", you can never leave. I do not like companies holding me hostage. They will keep billing your credit card forever and nothing you do can stop them (which is why their main billing option is a credit card).

Cheers
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:10   #44
BHPian

Indian law still has restrictions when it comes to making a call to a PSTN network from VOIP.

These are excellent links that explain this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_IP#India

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/I...ic+Information

IMO, it's time Indian laws catch up with times.
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:16   #45
BHPian

Thanks Mayuresh. I believe this is what Technocrat also meant. So, I guess I shall still have to continue paying BSNL.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks