Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2013, 18:21   #31
BANNED

Re: Any suggestions for a Blood Pressure measuring machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
As I wrote earlier, the modern pressure sensors which are the heart of these boxes really don't need recalibration. The servicing will only look for blocks in the air path (with removable straps) and may check for cracks & leakage due deterioration of plastics. At the same time they may compare it with a standard setup.
DerAlte - What I am asking is - where did you get this info - that modern BP Monitors do not need calibration because of above reasons?
Old 24th June 2013, 02:55   #32
BHPian

I am using "Omron HEM-7111" one since last 2 years and even after too many misleading advices I got before actually buying it,
this small beast certainly has some nice maintenance free system inside.

I clearly remember that Once I was very dizzy and measured and found it to be low, Immediately headed towards a near by doctor and before he used the mercury one on my upper hand was all against the pic I had in cellphone to show him.

But to his surprise I was indeed in "Hypotension BP Range" what my machine showed.
Although I would not deny it being +/-5 mm Hg, but that also depends on your position while measuring it etc etc.

Also Guys be careful why buying this from your fav. chemist, This machine sells for Rs.1000 cheaper than MRP, check the online stores before buying it on huge premium from local chemist.
Old 24th June 2013, 12:01   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
... that modern BP Monitors do not need calibration because of above reasons?
The basic pressure sensor (made by Honeywell, Freescale, Cypress etc.) in your BP monitor is the same as one finds with injection ECUs for sensing altitude (not the O2 sensor in exhaust line). Ever heard of a car being taken to A.S.S. to recalibrate the ECU?
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2013, 12:27   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The basic pressure sensor (made by Honeywell, Freescale, Cypress etc.) in your BP monitor is the same as one finds with injection ECUs for sensing altitude (not the O2 sensor in exhaust line). Ever heard of a car being taken to A.S.S. to recalibrate the ECU?
DerAlte - Please understand that I am not trying to disprove you or anything. I know very little about this - hence my questions. And the main reason for my question is because the manufacturers themselves recommend calibration once in a couple of years for light usage & calibration every year for more than 4 readings per day - that's all. And outside India all these manufacturers seem to have a process by which you can send the device back to the company for calibration and pay a nominal amount and get the calibration done.
Old 24th June 2013, 13:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
... outside India all these manufacturers seem to have a process by which you can send the device back to the company for calibration and pay a nominal amount and get the calibration done.
Maybe 'calibration' is too strong a word for it, but generally all instrumentation theoretically does need a bit of service, whether in industrial use or medical electronics. I say 'theoretically' since maintenance / upkeep is a good practice, but not an absolute must if the usage environment is within expected limits. (I think by saying 'calibration' you mean the same. For me calibration is at a very low level - ensuring X volts output from sensor corresponding to Y bar pressure)

For example, if the electronic sphygmomanometer (BP machine!) were to be kept in direct sunlight or such harsh environment, it definitely would have an effect on the exposed plastic parts, resulting in small cracks or pinholes etc. This would then give wrong readings - from slightly to grossly as the case may be - due to air leakage during pressurization. Now if the instrument has been kept protected, this is unlikely to happen (even plastics have improved over the years). All the BP machines have error detection built-in, so if the pressurization is taking longer than expected (leakage) it will show an error.

Calibration of sensors alone, after all these years (around 30 years or more) of R&D, has either resulted in it not being required all, or at best self-calibration. Pressure sensors are type calibrated (during design cycle), and the equipment / instruments using them is tested against a standard setup after manufacturing. Sending the instrument back to the manufacturer would result in testing against the standard setup.

However, by experience most people know that they can still rely on the readings they have taken by comparing it with the occasional double checking with a doctor's mercury based sphygmomanometer operated by the doctor. For those who want to, the manufacturers have a channel for doing it for them - so that no one can accuse them of "not being conscious on issues of users' health".
Old 25th June 2013, 04:31   #36
BANNED

I wrote to Omron India and Microlife USA. Both said that even after 5 years, it's highly likely that there would be no problem with the calibration.

Omron India also said that they can do a check of the machine for Rs. 200.
Old 6th July 2013, 16:48   #37
BANNED

I bought a 2nd BP machine for my parents just because the older Microlife one is almost 6 years old - but still no problems. The new one is a Omron 7113 from Flipkart for Rs. 1700. Excellent machine and gives the reading faster than the older machine.
Old 30th October 2020, 17:18   #38
BHPian

Hi,

I am looking for a reliable BP monitor for my parents. Should I go for the upper arm device or wrist device?

Any brands i should look out for? Omron seems to have a lot of models starting from 1.5k going all the way upto 10k.

I have an Omron digital thermometer and it is not very accurate.
Old 30th October 2020, 22:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

I also bought one from Apollo. But in my experience it always shows a lower value than what the doctor measures with the conventional instrument. When I go to see my cardiologist for periodic bp checks, the receptionist takes a reading through the digital one and notes it on the paper which I carry inside. When the doctor measures it with his apparatus, it shows a higher value than what she noted (though still within limits).

The one that I bought often shows me 110/70 or lower!
Old 31st October 2020, 00:18   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

I’ve a Citizen blood pressure monitor but I too think it shows lower than actual values. If I’ve to buy a blood pressure monitor today, I’ll only invest in the gold standard, i.e.. a conventional mercury based sphygmomanometer and a stethoscope.

If you want to measure the blood pressure accurately, get these instruments rather than electronic ones is my advice. If you don’t know how to measure, learn it; it’s not that tough.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 31st October 2020 at 00:21.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 03:05   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.u View Post
Hi,

I am looking for a reliable BP monitor for my par 1.5k going all the way upto 10k.

I have an Omron digital thermometer and it is not very accurate.
I recently purchased a Rossmax blood pressure monitor from amazon for 990/- it's a manual type device with stethoscope and works perfect.

My dad is 73yrs old and hesitatant for a doctor visit. His readings are 170/110. He has started with brisk walks in the morning now and if it does not reduce even by a small percentage in a month. He will have to visit a doctor.

Please note:
BP check has to be done morning before breakfast and once post a few hrs. Readings have to be taken in 2 postures - sleeping and sitting upright. Measure over 3 days and the average is considered.

I learnt the use of this device in 1min by watching a youtube video. It's that easy.

Any suggestions for a Blood Pressure measuring machine?-img20201023wa0022.jpeg
Old 31st October 2020, 11:28   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
... it shows a higher value than what she noted (though still within limits)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I’ve a Citizen blood pressure monitor but I too think it shows lower than actual values...
Thanks for the update guys but a sphygmomanometer is out of the question as I need something that my parents can use on their own as I don't stay with them.

I am thinking of picking up a branded one from Amazon and see how it compares with the readings @ the doctor when they go for the biweekly (now monthly due to corona) checkup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks