Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 16:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for a Blood Pressure measuring machine?

Hi,

I am looking to buy a Blood Pressure measuring machine for my Dad. I am sure that some BHPians must have bought a BP machine.

Any suggestions for a good brand. Somehow I am not very comfortable with the cheap Chinese electronic machines. I would rather have that bulky green balloon machine .

Any suggestions for a good brand?

Last edited by download2live : 7th April 2011 at 17:01.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any suggestions for a Blood Pressure measuring machine?

Get an ordinary BP machine. Digital ones are hit and miss and not good enough in most cases for accurate measurements. At least in Delhi, all reputed doctors that I know use the older, manual machines.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Even a very good brand used by a Gastroenterologist for checking my father's BP disagrees with the conventional apparatus (called spygomonometer I think) used by his Cardiologist. The cardio poo-poohs the Gastro's reading and depends on his own reading for giving medicine. I would suggest take him to a nearby clinic for a weekly check-up, that will be better.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:06   #4
BHPian

My dad bought one a couple of years ago . I think it was the OMRON brand . He had done ample research on it and zeroed in on the OMRON . Its pretty reasonably priced too . But I've heard from a lot of people that these digital meters are not so accurate . So if you dads ready to use the ones that doctors use , it had the most accurate readings . I could be wrong , maybe people who use it would be able to comment !
Old 7th April 2011, 17:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys. I won't be buying the electronic meter. I would rather be going for an old school physical one, that green balloon one. But any brand of repute? Like "Hicks" is for Thermometer.

I do not want to just go to a shop and ask for a meter. Then he can sell me any junk.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I am using OMRON, and the two units have been working fine for quite some time. Has a basic memory function too, where it only stores the last 14- 15 BP & Pulse readings. No other data is stored.

The wrist based BP meters are error prone. Suggest avoid these.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I won't be buying the electronic meter. I would rather be going for an old school physical one, that green balloon one. But any brand of repute? Like "Hicks" is for Thermometer.

I do not want to just go to a shop and ask for a meter. Then he can sell me any junk.
I have no idea about brands. But using one will require a stethoscope and some training in the use as well. Does anyone at your home have it? That is why I suggested a clinic.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:31   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Hi,

I am looking to buy a Blood Pressure measuring machine for my Dad. I am sure that some BHPians must have bought a BP machine.

Any suggestions for a good brand. Somehow I am not very comfortable with the cheap Chinese electronic machines. I would rather have that bulky green balloon machine .

Any suggestions for a good brand?
Buy the OMRON one and it is very accurate and available at leading chemists throughout the nation.

Buy the one which has an elbow strap.
Old 7th April 2011, 17:41   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Buy the OMRON one and it is very accurate and available at leading chemists throughout the nation.

Buy the one which has an elbow strap.
OMRON digital measuring products are very good from BP Checking device to Pedometers.

Elbow strap one helps in making sure you are taking the reading from the correct position. Most digital BP Measurement Devices can give erratic readings if it is not tied accurately.
Old 7th April 2011, 18:36   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Please compare the readings.

Missed adding one point reg the OMRON. I have compared the readings on my meters with the one that my doctor uses. This helps "calibrate" the meters we use.

This is applicable for any brand of meters. Which ever brand you buy, pls compare the readings on your meters with the readings on the meter that your doctor uses. Your doctor should be more than happy to help you with it.
Old 7th April 2011, 18:37   #11
Senior - BHPian

I purchased an OMRON BP monitoring machine last week , however did not have a good experience with it , all the readings were on the lower end of 120/80 for all family members even BP patients. Hence suspected some issue with that unit hence promptly returned the machine to Medplus store the same day.

I replace the OMRON with a Morpen branded instrument, it was around Rs.300 more expensive costing around Rs 2600.

The readings shown are quite accurate and reliable, however it does not have much memory to store historic pressure readings.

One of my Friend (doc) told me that the electronic BP machine readings are not considered very reliable, best is to go with the manual traditional mercury based machine , but you need to be trained on it.
Old 7th April 2011, 19:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have no idea about brands. But using one will require a stethoscope and some training in the use as well. Does anyone at your home have it? That is why I suggested a clinic.
Ok now this is something I did not think about. Is it easy to learn? Chemist will provide some training on it when they sell it? Or is it self learning?

Seems I will have to settle for Omron, but having a background in electronics I have a good idea how widely off they mark can these machines be. So a bit apprehensive.
Old 7th April 2011, 20:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
(called spygomonometer I think)
It's called a Sphygmomanometer. Sorry, couldn't help it. I spent quite some time learning all this stuff for my class 10 board exams 2 years back.
Old 7th April 2011, 20:27   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seems I will have to settle for Omron...
The basis of accuracy of these electronic BP monitors is where and how the sensor is positioned, and how the person is positioned. Omron or Morepen are equally good, but the trick of getting accurate readings lies in fitting the cuff correctly - a few attempts by trial-and-error will get the right results (left vs. right arm, lying down vs. sitting on a chair, exact position of the sensor etc.). Using a mercury column sphygmomanometer is of course THE most accurate method, but don't expect your dad to be able to take his own readings single-handedly.

Either get someone to take his BP readings regularly with a conventional sphygmo, or buy a digital machine that he can use (and learn to use properly in a short time).
Old 7th April 2011, 20:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Using a stethoscope is not that hard, you need to listen to two sounds. You can learn it in under a minute. Just do it once with a doctor or pharmacist.

The electronic ones are quite erratic and it might increase your BP with the readings it gives. Even for two consecutive ones (with a minute or two between) without touching the strap, it can vary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks