Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2011, 21:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Jazz X Vs Swift ZDi Vs Micra XV Premium

Have you considered the Brio top end?
Old 22nd September 2011, 22:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Decide between a petrol and a diesel. If its a petrol that triumphs, buy the Jazz, eyes closed its the best hatch after the recent price cuts. Its no rocket but if ur in the mood for some spirited driving it has the power though the dynamics may disappoint you.

If its a diesel Swift ZDi is a fantastic car provided you can live with the lack of space at the rear and the tiny boot.

However, if you want something different do consider the Punto 90HP, in bangalore the difference between the Swift ZDI and Punto 90HP is approx 25k AFTER the discounts on the Punto considering the lesser road tax in Delhi i think it the difference may be lesser than that.

Take a long TD on both the cars and decide for yourself on what negatives of each, your willing to settle. Since your buying a new car and now when the disparity is insane , i think you should go for a diesel as the difference is hardly any (25-30k like you've mentioned) and you'll recover that in a short period of time.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 22nd September 2011 at 22:52.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:03   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedemon View Post
Hi Suhaas,
Even I am looking at a diesel hatch for my wife. Monthly run is around 1500kms so buying a diesel hatch inspite of the fact i bought a Polo petrol last November. We have shortlisted Swift and Micra as options but confused between both.

How did you manage to get discount on XV Premium, I have been quoted around 7lacs for this variant and 6.34lacs for XV. Dealer is giving no discount on diesel engines. Yes on petrol discount are there in terms of Insurance etc...

Can you please share the details.
Both the Micra and the Swift are brilliant cars. The Swift even more so. The new revamped Swift boasts premium interiors, better quality and fantastic dynamics. The MJD mill in the Swift is a stonker and delivers superb FE too. Expect 15-17 in city driving conditions and 20+ on the highway. The ride has improved too, apparently. I'm not sure though.

The only grouse I have with the Swift is that it's a little cramped at the back, especially for a large hatch. The boot is an apology for a storage area too. The quality of some plastics could have been better too.

I suggest you test-drive both the Swift and the Micra. That should clear all your doubts. If I were you, I'd go for the Micra. Why? Well, the Swift is a car that is just too common these days, and the new one would be spotted more often that not, in a few years time. The Micra would give me a sense of exclusiveness. The Micra's engine is a good mill and can do the job. it's pretty frugal, and it's smaller than the Swift, giving you the edge in maddening city traffic and parking slots.

So my vote goes for the Micra.

About the discounts, I don't think you could avail any, at least not this soon. The Swift is new, and will sell like hot cakes, so Maruti might hike prices if at all. I wouldn't expect discounts on any diesel car at the moment.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:28   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Both the Micra and the Swift are brilliant cars. The Swift even more so. The new revamped Swift boasts premium interiors, better quality and fantastic dynamics. The MJD mill in the Swift is a stonker and delivers superb FE too. Expect 15-17 in city driving conditions and 20+ on the highway. The ride has improved too, apparently. I'm not sure though.

The only grouse I have with the Swift is that it's a little cramped at the back, especially for a large hatch. The boot is an apology for a storage area too. The quality of some plastics could have been better too.

I suggest you test-drive both the Swift and the Micra. That should clear all your doubts. If I were you, I'd go for the Micra. Why? Well, the Swift is a car that is just too common these days, and the new one would be spotted more often that not, in a few years time. The Micra would give me a sense of exclusiveness. The Micra's engine is a good mill and can do the job. it's pretty frugal, and it's smaller than the Swift, giving you the edge in maddening city traffic and parking slots.

So my vote goes for the Micra.

About the discounts, I don't think you could avail any, at least not this soon. The Swift is new, and will sell like hot cakes, so Maruti might hike prices if at all. I wouldn't expect discounts on any diesel car at the moment.
Yup indeed Swift is a brilliant car, I had Swift Vdi for past 3years drove for 100K kms sold it 6months back and switched to Innova since then. MJD engine is superb and none of hatch in the market handles so well as Swift.

But rear seat is cramped and boot it also smaller too. Practically you cannot even use it to stuff a average size bag. I expected Maruti to come up with better rear legroom but.....

How did you find the brakes of Micra ? I was not very satisfied with brakes, maybe i should ask for another test drive vehicle.

Regarding discounts i asked you because you quoted 6.5lacs for XV premium. In Delhi OTR is 7Lacs so thats the confusion.
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yup indeed Swift is a brilliant car, I had Swift Vdi for past 3years drove for 100K kms sold it 6months back and switched to Innova since then. MJD engine is superb and none of hatch in the market handles so well as Swift.

But rear seat is cramped and boot it also smaller too. Practically you cannot even use it to stuff a average size bag. I expected Maruti to come up with better rear legroom but.....

How did you find the brakes of Micra ? I was not very satisfied with brakes, maybe i should ask for another test drive vehicle.

Regarding discounts i asked you because you quoted 6.5lacs for XV premium. In Delhi OTR is 7Lacs so thats the confusion.
Yes from what I've heard, the Micra's brakes aren't up to the mark. But I suppose that would be an issue if it is driven on the highway very often and is expected to do in excess of 120 km/h (which I wouldn't recommend anyway) so in city-driving conditions, the brakes should be enough.

The Swift does have its drawbacks, and they're quite large ones. A small boot and lack of rear leg room. And if you had to nitpick, the ride isn't really very good either and the quality could have been better, considering that the Jazz sells for the same price and reeks of quality.

The Micra doesn't have any real major drawbacks that turn it against its favour. Although, it isn't the best at any one thing either. It's a good all-round package, IMO. It could have been better at several things, but it isn't.

Hey! I hadn't quoted any price for any car. You've probably got me mixed up with another member!
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:53   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Yes from what I've heard, the Micra's brakes aren't up to the mark. But I suppose that would be an issue if it is driven on the highway very often and is expected to do in excess of 120 km/h (which I wouldn't recommend anyway) so in city-driving conditions, the brakes should be enough.

The Swift does have its drawbacks, and they're quite large ones. A small boot and lack of rear leg room. And if you had to nitpick, the ride isn't really very good either and the quality could have been better, considering that the Jazz sells for the same price and reeks of quality.

The Micra doesn't have any real major drawbacks that turn it against its favour. Although, it isn't the best at any one thing either. It's a good all-round package, IMO. It could have been better at several things, but it isn't.

Hey! I hadn't quoted any price for any car. You've probably got me mixed up with another member!
Oops sorry, It was Ashish who quoted the price. Maybe Ashish can help me in this regard.

Micra is overall a good package but few things could have been better, no ABS in top end version is a real shocker
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:14   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oops sorry, It was Ashish who quoted the price. Maybe Ashish can help me in this regard.

Micra is overall a good package but few things could have been better, no ABS in top end version is a real shocker
Exactly!

This is where the Nissan loses out. Some fey features missing even in the top-end will make you wonder what the point is in spending so much money on a car like this, when you get more features in lesser cars today. The i10 and even the Honda Brio, for example!
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly!

This is where the Nissan loses out. Some fey features missing even in the top-end will make you wonder what the point is in spending so much money on a car like this, when you get more features in lesser cars today. The i10 and even the Honda Brio, for example!
More inclined towards Micra since my wife likes it
Old 20th October 2011, 11:04   #39
BHPian

Hello all,

I was just doing some reading about the Micra and saw that in the official site the XV version has been given ABS+EBD system.
Could someone validate this ?
Old 20th October 2011, 12:01   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow View Post
Hello all,

I was just doing some reading about the Micra and saw that in the official site the XV version has been given ABS+EBD system.
Could someone validate this ?
We are talking about the Diesel here. Aren't we? There is no ABS, EBD, BA in the Diesel yet. It is available on the XV petrol. But not in the XV or XV premium Diesel. Beats me.

The Nissan Micra website is quite tricky and confusing.

Better to check the brochure available for download in the website. Link here http://nissanmicra.co.in/html/pdf/Brochure.pdf

Edit: On the poll, I will go with the Jazz X. The main problem with the new Swift is not the lack of boot space but getting the car delivered.

I wouldn't advice the Micra for the lack of safety kit.

Last edited by deetjohn : 20th October 2011 at 12:06. Reason: Adding a sentence
Old 20th October 2011, 12:19   #41
BHPian

If waiting period is not a problem go ahead with zdi,else straightaway buy jazz.You can't go wrong either of these cars.
Old 20th October 2011, 12:29   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn

We are talking about the Diesel here. Aren't we? There is no ABS, EBD, BA in the Diesel yet. It is available on the XV petrol. But not in the XV or XV premium Diesel. Beats me.

The Nissan Micra website is quite tricky and confusing.

Better to check the brochure available for download in the website. Link here http://nissanmicra.co.in/html/pdf/Brochure.pdf

I wouldn't advice the Micra for the lack of safety kit.
Oops my bad. Yes this thread is dedicated to the diesel Micra, when I went through the Nissan site I got confused when I saw the feature list. Thanks for clearing my confusion.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:12   #43
BHPian

First of all thanks a lot to everyone for your valuable inputs.

Update: The purchase decision has been put on hold. To be honest Micra Diesel was almost ruled out to start with due to the lack of safety features. That had left us with two options i.e. Jazz and swift. However none of these cars have that decisive factor which was good enough for wifey.

With swift she has a problem of non-exclusivity and not so "updated" exterior looks. She believes that our roads are flooded with swifts. Also she said that from far off distance it just looks like an older swift. Also the engine although quite refined is not really an upgrade over the i10 kappa engine. There's no substantial difference in the performance barring the rev friendly nature of the swift over the kappa.

She was quite impressed with Jazz especially in "red". It comes as a complete package and the engine is also silky smooth. However swift beats jazz in the dynamics and also the engine of jazz is again not quite an upgrade over the kappa. If only jazz came with the 1.5 engine and better dynamics we would have picked it with our eyes closed.

So with these cars out of contention it has left us with zilch options! Basically we are looking for a hatch which provides us sedan like performance and manners as well sense of luxury and occasion. Due to these factors being our primary objectives, we have decided to stretch our budget and wait for couple of months in order to look at higher alternatives.

Thus we are now looking at VW Polo 1.6 highline or the upcoming 1.6 diesel and also we are hoping that ford comes out with the hatchback version of the new fiesta sooner rather then later. I'm sure the fiesta hatchback shall be able to fulfill our requirements to the T. Also who knows maybe honda might decide to plonk the 1.5 engine in the existing jazz by that time.

Shall keep you folks updated. Meanwhile kindly enlighten us with inputs and advises.

Last edited by ashish22 : 16th November 2011 at 12:18.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:39   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
She was quite impressed with Jazz especially in "red". It comes as a complete package and the engine is also silky smooth. However swift beats jazz in the dynamics and also the engine of jazz is again not quite an upgrade over the kappa. If only jazz came with the 1.5 engine and better dynamics we would have picked it with our eyes closed.
The 1.2 mill in the Jazz may be super-smooth and very refined, but it does lack bottom-end grunt. That said, it's way better than the 1.2 Kappa in the i10, by a long shot. I've driven both, the Jazz more extensively, and I can vouch for it! Yes, it does lack grunt, but once the power builds up, the Jazz is quite a fast car. And dynamically, it's pretty good too. It's definitely not a hot-hatch, but in city-limits, you don't really need a car that's dynamically as good as, say, a Fiesta.

The Honda is dynamically sorted. It's no sports-car or hot-hatch, but it's more than enough for city-drives. Our Jazz held the road pretty well on highways too, and in the Ghat-sections, it felt quite composed around the bends.

Unless you really push it very very hard, the Jazz will not disappoint you, dynamically. I'm sure your wife will not drive the nuts off it! So I don't really see why the dynamics of the Jazz is the deal-breaker here.

The Honda will give you the sedan-like feel that you want. It's very spacious, and can even gobble-up all the luggage you throw into it. And it will be as stable as an entry-level sedan on the highways. Heck, during our Goa drive, we felt that it isn't far off from our Civic, dynamically.

Oh, and as an added bonus, I assure you that the Jazz will deliver better fuel efficiency than the Kappa-powered i10.

EDIT: Honda has no plans of introducing the 1.5 mill in the Jazz. I know, it's disappointing. But they would like to keep it a notch lower than the City at all times.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th November 2011 at 12:43.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 13:17   #45
BHPian

Suhaas, thanks a lot for your inputs. Coming from an owner i regard these insights as highly crucial. Off course you have a better first hand perspective of jazz and thus my friend i believe your words.

Yes indeed Jazz engine is overall better then the kappa in terms of refinement and peppiness but my point is that there's not a daylight of difference in the performance. You can consider me and wifey as those nerds who are highly into 0-100 timings and all :-P If you consider the timings of these cars they are almost identical and i'm sure kappa will be able to keep up with jazz in a drag race. What say??

I might want to add here that my wife is a very aggressive driver and she loves to drive "fast & furious". Whenever i sit with her when she's driving i always get goose bumps and i'm always nervous stiff. Add to that she's an egoistic driver. Believe you me if i'm driving on road i wouldn't want to mess with her.

That is why safety and dynamics are very crucial for me if i have to buy a car for her apart from the super performance which she's looking for.

She test drove the jazz and swift extensively and "aggressively" couple of days back and found out both to be lacking in outright performance over the kappa. She liked the swift dynamics better then the jazz though.

So folks its a quest to find a hatchback which offers superlative performance, sedan like stability and dynamics and off course safety equipments under 10 lakhs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks