Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 11:10   #1
BHPian

Heart vs mind : Nissan Micra vs VW Polo

I am looking to buy a diesel Hatch back. It will used mostly by my dad who is 70+ but in his 20s when on driver’s seat. Car will be used mostly in city (50-60 km daily) with some highway trips (300 km twice or thrice a month) I have narrowed down to Vw Polo and Nissan Micra.
Searched the forum but couldn’t find a comparison b/w the two.

My priorities are
1. Diesel economy, of course
2. Long term reliability
3. Low cost of maintenance
4. Good A.S.S. (I forgot to put those dots and then realized
the moderators will kill me for that)
5. And some brand image

I have ruled out the followings
1. Indica Vista: Its loaded with everything you can imagine in a hatch but lacks the brand image, and also the A.S.S. in my city is really bad.
2. Hyundai i20: Turbo lag, plus low ground clearance puts me off. It’s too common and has started looking boring
3. Toyota Liva: engine might be good, but nothing else is, and the interior quality is worst of all (reminds me of Nano); even an Alto has better interiors quality. Plus long waiting period.
4. Ford figo: It’s loaded for the price but ford is known for high cost of spares and A.S.S. issues. And the engine doesn’t seem to last even 3-4 yrs
5. Chevy Beat Diesel: Didn’t like the looks plus long term reliability is unknown. This is one car I might reconsider.
6. Maruti Ritz and Swift: It’s the every other car on road.
Regarding my choices

Nissan Micra: What I liked is the retro looks, keyless entry, push button start driver airbags, Diesel is quick even at low rmp. Its Japanese so hopefully reliable and 50k cheaper than polo comfortline. Even though there is no ABS, but still brakes are good.
What I disliked is the ultra low ground clearance (153mm), suspension is soft so doubtful if it will be able to take Indian potholes.

VW Polo: What I liked is the solid built, fit finish and paint quality. Suspension is SUV like, GC is good (168 mm). Steering has tilt and reach adjustment. It seems to last for atleast 6-8 yrs.
What I didnt like is the absence of USB in music system, color choice in base variant( only red and white) turbo lag upto 2000 rpm (Micra is peppy ) and my apprehension about the cost of spares and maintenance in long run. I heard it is the twin sister of Skoda, poor man’s car in Europe. Going though the forum I realized that skoda vehicle have quite a large number of quality issues. Have heard VW are pretty expensive to maintain.

Now the basic issue is the nearest service centre/ dealer for both the cars is in another city about 45 km from my place. It will be difficult for my Dad to take the car every time to the service centre if some quality issue or the other crops us except regular service. So what I want basically is a trouble free car in long run
My hearts says Micra my mind says Polo, Help me choose??
Old 17th October 2011, 22:37   #2
BHPian

Re: Micra Vs Polo. Heart vs mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
I am looking to buy a diesel Hatch back. It will used mostly by my dad who is 70+ but in his 20s when on driver’s seat. Car will be used mostly in city (50-60 km daily) with some highway trips (300 km twice or thrice a month) I have narrowed down to Vw Polo and Nissan Micra.
Searched the forum but couldn’t find a comparison b/w the two.

My priorities are
1. Diesel economy, of course
2. Long term reliability
5. And some brand image

I have ruled out the followings
1. Indica Vista: Its loaded with everything you can imagine in a hatch but lacks the brand image, and also the A.S.S. in my city is really bad.
2. Hyundai i20: Turbo lag, plus low ground clearance puts me off. It’s too common and has started looking boring
3. Toyota Liva: engine might be good, but nothing else is, and the interior quality is worst of all (reminds me of Nano); even an Alto has better interiors quality. Plus long waiting period.
4. Ford figo: It’s loaded for the price but ford is known for high cost of spares and A.S.S. issues. And the engine doesn’t seem to last even 3-4 yrs
5. Chevy Beat Diesel: Didn’t like the looks plus long term reliability is unknown. This is one car I might reconsider.
6. Maruti Ritz and Swift: It’s the every other car on road.
Regarding my choices

Nissan Micra: What I liked is the retro looks, keyless entry, push button start driver airbags, Diesel is quick even at low rmp. Its Japanese so hopefully reliable and 50k cheaper than polo comfortline. Even though there is no ABS, but still brakes are good.
What I disliked is the ultra low ground clearance (153mm), suspension is soft so doubtful if it will be able to take Indian potholes.

VW Polo: What I liked is the solid built, fit finish and paint quality. Suspension is SUV like, GC is good (168 mm). Steering has tilt and reach adjustment. It seems to last for atleast 6-8 yrs.
What I didnt like is the absence of USB in music system, color choice in base variant( only red and white) turbo lag upto 2000 rpm (Micra is peppy ) and my apprehension about the cost of spares and maintenance in long run. I heard it is the twin sister of Skoda, poor man’s car in Europe. Going though the forum I realized that skoda vehicle have quite a large number of quality issues. Have heard VW are pretty expensive to maintain.

Now the basic issue is the nearest service centre/ dealer for both the cars is in another city about 45 km from my place. It will be difficult for my Dad to take the car every time to the service centre if some quality issue or the other crops us except regular service. So what I want basically is a trouble free car in long run
My hearts says Micra my mind says Polo, Help me choose??
My 2 cents:

1. Diesel economy- Micra, since it is smaller and lighter, have got better mileage on paper too.

2. Long term reliability- Polo, since European cars are known for their built and durability. I have read that Micra has got weak brakes. Please TD and verify.

3. Low cost of maintenance- Micra, Japs are a master of this art. European cars are infamous because of high maintenance costs.

4. Good A.S.S.- Both are pretty new, but i feel that Micra would again be better, considering the speed at which they are bringing their dealerships. Must say, it is pretty impressive. Volkswagen service would be costly (As verified from a friend who owns a Polo)

5. And some brand image- Volkswagen has an edge here, though Nissan is also a great brand. Hardly makes a difference. But still Polo

If i were in your position, i would have gone for Micra, mainly for the interior and the looks. Looks very very cute. . This is just a personal opinion though. Both cars are great, does not matter at all even if the sales are low.
mayank10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 05:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
My priorities are
2. Long term reliability
5. And some brand image
Both Micra and Polo would fail on some of the tests above like Long term reliability (as its not been tested yet), but Japs are generally better.

Low cost Maint (Forget the Polo) again Japs are better in this department but not sure about Micra/Nissan.

Good A.S.S, depends someplace VW are better in terms of A.S.S and some others are horrible, Nissan also does not have a wider presence and most of the time there would be only one dealer to get the car serviced. Recipe for disaster.

If its these two then i would choose the lesser of two evils (pardon me for saying that) and that could be different for different folks. VW for its slightly better presence (so if you are unhappy with the dealer you can choose another one), or Nissan for known Jap quality.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 07:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking for fuel efficiency then its should be Micra, if it is the build quality then its should be the Polo. As far as the After sales is concerend both are on the same podium, choose the one which appeals to you. Cost of ownership - I guess the Micra/Polo owners can comment on this.

I find it very strange by your comment that For Figo's engine last less than 3-4 years, how did you conclude that? Also the ones you have ruled out, have you TDed the cars? My office colleague looking for a diesel hatchback simply raved about the new Indica Vista (Sedan class), you should have a re look.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 08:52   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
If you are looking for fuel efficiency then its should be Micra, if it is the build quality then its should be the Polo. As far as the After sales is concerend both are on the same podium, choose the one which appeals to you. Cost of ownership - I guess the Micra/Polo owners can comment on this.

I find it very strange by your comment that For Figo's engine last less than 3-4 years, how did you conclude that? Also the ones you have ruled out, have you TDed the cars? My office colleague looking for a diesel hatchback simply raved about the new Indica Vista (Sedan class), you should have a re look.
I did a TD of all the vehicles b4 ruling them out, except Ritz and Swift, which i dont want to go for.
One of my friends owns figo diesel, with 20k on odometer he is having issues with the engine it self. and the service centre is non supportive.

Tata Vista is a fine car, only thing it lacks is brand image, it still has a poor mans/ taxiwalas image. There are three service centers around my place; and i had a horrible experience with all of them ( I owned a indigo earlier ). Plus I own a Tata Aria, with a not so pleasant experience with the dealer. so dont want to go for another Tata vehicle.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
My 2 cents:

1. Diesel economy- Micra, since it is smaller and lighter, have got better mileage on paper too.

2. Long term reliability- Polo, since European cars are known for their built and durability. I have read that Micra has got weak brakes. Please TD and verify.

3. Low cost of maintenance- Micra, Japs are a master of this art. European cars are infamous because of high maintenance costs.

4. Good A.S.S.- Both are pretty new, but i feel that Micra would again be better, considering the speed at which they are bringing their dealerships. Must say, it is pretty impressive. Volkswagen service would be costly (As verified from a friend who owns a Polo)

5. And some brand image- Volkswagen has an edge here, though Nissan is also a great brand. Hardly makes a difference. But still Polo

If i were in your position, i would have gone for Micra, mainly for the interior and the looks. Looks very very cute. . This is just a personal opinion though. Both cars are great, does not matter at all even if the sales are low.
Thanks Mayank,
Opinion is drifting more towards Micra. Dad will do a TD of both to see which one more thrilling and convenient to drive. I think Micra is making a better choice. Micras GC of 153 mm vs Polos 168 mm is the only factor which is stopping me now.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

In the fight between heart and mind, always go with the heart. From my personal experience, you will remain happy. Micra is a decent no-nonsense car and between the two, I would personally prefer it.

Also, speak to the bhpians owning the Micra and list out all the problems (if any) they faced. It will help you gain confidence in the car.

About the brand in India, now that they have launched Sunny, it shows that they are not taking the Indian market lightly.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 10:50   #8
BHPian

Both Micra and Polo have not yet been proven in India to be reliable and to have low maintenance cost. I would just suggest you to extensively earch through T-BHP forums for their respective ownership reviews. If I go by perceptions then Micra, being a Nissan, will be extremely reliable and have lower maintenance cost than Polo. But again, none of those perceptions have yet been proven in India.

If I were in your shoes, I would pick none of them but a Swift for peace of mind with some worry about brake problem in the new Swift. Plus, it is an amazing car for your requirements ("in his 20s when on driver’s seat" and highway trips). If not Swift then Figo (you may call me biased since I own a Figo). Let me guess your friend has a 2010 Figo? 2010 Figo's are known to be very problematic just like many new launches in their initial phases.

It would be very interesting to see which car you pick since a large number of people are also in same dilemma as you are in. And they will be looking at your thread for cues.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 18th October 2011 at 10:52.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Could you please let us know some reliable reference to the claim that Figo's engine does not last for more than 3 years?

Polo's diesel mill has got nothing to write home about. So Micra it is.

But I think you are confused about your choices, except for diesel economy nothing else can be commented about Micra and except for brand image nothing else in priorities is clear for Polo!

And why is it heart vs mind? How come Polo appeal to your mind? Sorry I did not find anything practical that appealed to you in Polo. You just talked about the build quality, looks etc which are more of a matter of heart than mind!

I strongly suggest you get your priorities sorted and rethink your choices!
Old 18th October 2011, 11:27   #10
BHPian

Are you sure the Micra's GC is 153 mm? Could be the GC at lowest obstruction point which may not necessarily scrape speed bumps. I remember the Octavia had a claimed GC of <140 mm which never seemed to be a problem in real driving situations.

The Micra appears to a better option in comparison to the Polo. 4 cyl engine vs 3 cyl engine, lower (or no) turbo lag and perceived lower maintenance costs tilt the scales in Micra's favour. Leaving out the ABS and passenger side airbag in Micra is silly on Nissan's part.

The Polo has a better design, better brand image due to the VW tag and of course better build quality.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:34   #11
BHPian

The micra's engine is the same 1.5 unit that does/did duty in the Mahindra verito/logan. This is an absolute gem of an engine with more than adequate power and frugal nature. If you can live with the looks of the micra then by all means go for it. An upsize of tires should help with the low GC problem.
Old 18th October 2011, 12:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Are you sure the Micra's GC is 153 mm? Could be the GC at lowest obstruction point which may not necessarily scrape speed bumps. I remember the Octavia had a claimed GC of <140 mm which never seemed to be a problem in real driving situations.
I am not sure what the GC figure are of Micra as compared to other cars (like Octavia with 140mm) but it sure did scrape (correction gave a THUD) on every speed breaker on the road we tested. Honda Civic (although a different segment but known for low GC) also managed not to scrape some of them. By my standards Micra was pathetic when it comes to GC, or to put it more correctly clearing speed breakers (as it could be softer suspensions also and not purely low GC).
Old 18th October 2011, 15:15   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The only thing I find wrong with the Micra diesel is the price. If you are okay with it, please proceed with the Micra diesel eyes shut. Reasons:

- 4 cylinder engine. And far better refinement than the 3-cylinder Polo.

- ZERO turbo-lag makes for effortless city driving. The Polo has way too much lag for comfort.

- Fun to drive (sprightly engine performance), great quality interiors and an all-rounder in many ways. You won't really find much *wrong* with the car, except that they should have beefed up the brakes for the additional torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank10 View Post
Long term reliability- Polo, since European cars are known for their built and durability. I have read that Micra has got weak brakes. Please TD and verify.
Fat chance. Nissans are known for their stupendously good long-term reliability and the Micra should be no different. VW, on the other hand, is famous for niggles & issues.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 16:15   #14
BHPian

Re: Heart vs mind : Nissan Micra vs VW Polo

Micra it is. Japanese technology at its best. Nissan is showing promising signs of a long term career in India with the way they are building their sales channel and launching good products.

If your father loves to drive, Micra will definitely appeal to him. Gem of a diesel engine and good interiors too. I prefer Micra's beige interiors compared to Polo's dark ones. No doubt the build, fit and finish of a Polo is equally good, its maintenance will be on the higher side.

Listen to your heart and make the Micra, MiCar (I mean your car).
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 17:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
In the fight between heart and mind, always go with the heart.
you have made the choice easier for me. With my past experiences i can say my heart makes a better choice. Still I ll Td again to be sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks