Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2011, 16:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: New WagonR Duo OR Chevy Spark LS LPG OR Hyundai i10 LPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Finally booked a Chevy Spark LS LPG (Velvet Red colour), will be updating the "I Booked My Car" thread shortly.
Congrats! When are you getting the delivery? Hoping to see your ownership report soon.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:21   #32
BHPian

Re: New WagonR Duo OR Chevy Spark LS LPG OR Hyundai i10 LPG?

Hi Oxy - I am in the same lines of buying a LPG for myself. Have zeroed in on Chevy Spark.

Am eagerly awaiting your ownership report. please update.
Old 16th August 2014, 16:54   #33
BHPian

Used Wagon R vs Hyundai Santro vs Hyundai i10

Hello Folks,

I have recently moved to Gurgaon and looking for a small hatchback. I would prefer to go the used way since I will not be using the car for more than 8 months to 1 year. I travel a lot and might be transferred after 6 months or so. My office commute is very short around 10kms (up&down) and sometime going out on the weekends. I would like to keep my budget preferably under Rs.2 Lakhs.

I am confused between the Wagon R and Santro (I am 6ft. tall so looking for tallboy design) with friends varying opinions. Which one out of the both do you sugggest. Whatever car I buy have good resale value with minimal loss. I am also finding some i10s around the 2-2.30 L mark. Do you think they are worth stretching the budget. Please advise. Thank You!

Regards,
DK
Old 18th August 2014, 22:12   #34
BHPian

Re: Used Wagon R vs Hyundai Santro vs Hyundai i10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknight View Post
Hello Folks,

I have recently moved to Gurgaon and looking for a small hatchback. I would prefer to go the used way since I will not be using the car for more than 8 months to 1 year. I travel a lot and might be transferred after 6 months or so. My office commute is very short around 10kms (up&down) and sometime going out on the weekends. I would like to keep my budget preferably under Rs.2 Lakhs.

I am confused between the Wagon R and Santro (I am 6ft. tall so looking for tallboy design) with friends varying opinions. Which one out of the both do you sugggest. Whatever car I buy have good resale value with minimal loss. I am also finding some i10s around the 2-2.30 L mark. Do you think they are worth stretching the budget. Please advise. Thank You!

Regards,
DK
I don't know the legal process but seems like you cannot transfer due to location change,
considering that your need is for a simple and basic ride, I would suggest, look no further than a Wagon R, it can be easily repaired, you can easily find a trustworthy mechanic around the corner, parts are easily and cheaply available and you will not suffer a major hit when you decide to swap it.

Hyundai parts are more expensive in case you suffer some unfortunate event. With i10, parts get relatively expensive.
Wagon R is a trusted workhorse, out and out practical car and nothing should happen if you find a decent piece and chances that you find one such is higher due to it being the highest selling car at one time.
s_pphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 01:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
I don't know the legal process but seems like you cannot transfer due to location change,
considering that your need is for a simple and basic ride, I would suggest, look no further than a Wagon R, it can be easily repaired, you can easily find a trustworthy mechanic around the corner, parts are easily and cheaply available and you will not suffer a major hit when you decide to swap it.

Hyundai parts are more expensive in case you suffer some unfortunate event. With i10, parts get relatively expensive.
Wagon R is a trusted workhorse, out and out practical car and nothing should happen if you find a decent piece and chances that you find one such is higher due to it being the highest selling car at one time.
Thanks Philip! Appreciate your advise. In fact, I am leaning more towards the Wagon R but slightly taken aback due to its ride quality and 3 pot engine. I've driven my friends i10 and the ride and body is solid. But I do agree with you though that the parts expensive for the i10 plus its hard to get a low-mileage one for under 2 lakhs.

Anyways to answer your question I won't be transferring my vehicle to another state when I move. I will simply sell it off. Inter-state transfer of registration is a big hassle. I wonder why its so cumbersome in India.

Any more replies and suggestions on any other comparable cars is more than welcome my fellow TBHPians!!
Old 19th August 2014, 11:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

My vote goes to Wagon R.

Santro has a bumpy ride and no point in stretching your budget for the i10.

Hyundai parts are also expensive and moreover since you plan to keep the car for a year or so, the resale of the Wagon R will certainly be higher.

Just be sure that you are buying a second hand car(i.e you are the second owner) as selling a fourth/fifth hand car will be much more challenging than selling a third hand car!!
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:44   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I have recently moved to Gurgaon and looking for a small hatchback. .... I am confused between the Wagon R and Santro (I am 6ft. ...... Please advise. Thank You!
Hi DK

I own a WagonR and was having a Santro before that. Primary requirements are:
1. Car to be used for (city) office commute - 10- Km/day
2. Weekend trips of 30 kms with family(?)
3. Self driven, Tall driver
4. Need used car
5. Budget of about 2 Lacs

WagonR:

+ves considering your requirement

1. Cheaper and hassle free repair
2. Tall boy design and good visibility

-ves considering your requirement
1. WagonR has poor low end torque and hence need frequent gear shifts, can be a pain. Work around for this: you need to get adjusted.
2. The engine is good only after ~2000 RPM (Older models are better) Work around for this: you need to get adjusted.

SANTRO

1. The BEST city hatchback at the given price point
2. Good low end torque - which means fewer gear shifts, less work for your left foot on clutch, a big relief in city traffic
3. Also a tall boy

1. Repairs may be costly - The usual repairs after ~4-5 years - new tyres, batteries, A/C. Work around for this: make sure when you buy your car these are in place
2. Repairs may take time - Work around for this: Usually this is so, when the service point is far away from your place(s). Work around for this: Check where is the service station, and if you can get one near you this is solved.
3. Costly maintenance and less fuel efficient
Yes, when compared to WagonR. But this is a small premium you are paying for a better city car. Work around for this: This can be marginal when you can get a good car.

I would recommend a Santro and also ask you take a long test drive than usual as you are buying a second hand car - not less than 3 kilometers in similar traffic conditions in which you'll be driving.
ravradha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 14:59   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Hi DK

I own a WagonR and was having a Santro before that. Primary requirements are:
1. Car to be used for (city) office commute - 10- Km/day
2. Weekend trips of 30 kms with family(?)
3. Self driven, Tall driver
4. Need used car
5. Budget of about 2 Lacs

WagonR:

1. Cheaper and hassle free repair
2. Tall boy design and good visibility

1. WagonR has poor low end torque and hence need frequent gear shifts, can be a pain. Work around for this: you need to get adjusted.
2. The engine is good only after ~2000 RPM (Older models are better) Work around for this: you need to get adjusted.

SANTRO

1. The BEST city hatchback at the given price point
2. Good low end torque - which means fewer gear shifts, less work for your left foot on clutch, a big relief in city traffic
3. Also a tall boy

1. Repairs may be costly - The usual repairs after ~4-5 years - new tyres, batteries, A/C. Work around for this: make sure when you buy your car these are in place
2. Repairs may take time - Work around for this: Usually this is so, when the service point is far away from your place(s). Work around for this: Check where is the service station, and if you can get one near you this is solved.
3. Costly maintenance and less fuel efficient
Yes, when compared to WagonR. But this is a small premium you are paying for a better city car. Work around for this: This can be marginal when you can get a good car.

I would recommend a Santro and also ask you take a long test drive than usual as you are buying a second hand car - not less than 3 kilometers in similar traffic conditions in which you'll be driving.
----
Thanks @ravradha. Very very informative reply with pros and cons of both the models. After reading your suggestion my position towards Santro has become more favourable. Low end torque and city driveability are top priorities for me.
As for maintenance I guess that works out fine if you get a car in well maintained condition. I also believe that the Santro is worth the premium.

Thanks once again!

Regards,
Danny
Old 19th August 2014, 20:54   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Philip! Appreciate your advise. In fact, I am leaning more towards the Wagon R but slightly taken aback due to its ride quality and 3 pot engine. I've driven my friends i10 and the ride and body is solid. But I do agree with you though that the parts expensive for the i10 plus its hard to get a low-mileage one for under 2 lakhs.

Anyways to answer your question I won't be transferring my vehicle to another state when I move. I will simply sell it off. Inter-state transfer of registration is a big hassle. I wonder why its so cumbersome in India.

Any more replies and suggestions on any other comparable cars is more than welcome my fellow TBHPians!!
Finally it depends on the actual car in front of you as its pre-owned, I'd suggest you may pick it directly from the owner in case of wagon-R's or even Santro, I am sure you can find plenty in Delhi on t-bhp, olx, monster, newspaper classifieds, the types.
If its a good piece but relatively a year older and the owner is asking for a premium of few thousands, I would say go ahead and pick it as its better to spend initially on a better car and you are buying peace of mind along.
When you meet the owner you get an idea of how he must have used it all these years, also you get to judge his lifestyle, you can also ask questions about his ownership that can make you comfortable and gives a broader picture.

I carry the impression the earlier Wagon R has better low end response than the k-series, so if you find a well maintained and less run piece (not difficult), seal the deal, when on budget and needing maximum bang for buck, you can't go wrong with a Maruti, ownership experience & costs matters when we are not those deep pockets type.

Since this car will act as a stepping stone, you may want to save the monies for you next proper swap.
A suggestion though, if you get a beautiful deal and have spare budget, go for a Tyre swap on the Waggie, which ever brand (eg. apollo), a suitable up size may make you like the car for what you hated it first.

The joys of having a reliable and trustworthy car is immense, you can start it at midnight and drive it to the nearest hill station at the blink of an eye.
Somethings that you don't dream to do until you realize you can do them because you have a car.

On a related note, I kinda liked the Waggie which had the 1.1 tag on the front doors, squarish headlights and the front passenger seat could be turned around, it was advertised as a smart mans choice or something. Last year I came across a similar car that did some 40+k's in all these years, owned by a couple, well maintained, the oldies rarely used the car and moved around the city they lived in, on an Activa due to parking hassles, I recommended this car to a friend but he delayed on the purchase and another benefited and picked it instantly, my friend waited to negotiate further. I bet the new owner didn't have to spend a penny on anything.

That temptation will always be difficult to resist, for every 10k - 20k increase you may find bigger cars and for example you may think "hey for 20k more why not pick an Accent instead of this", well depends on what parameters are outlined and how much you can periodically shell.
Waggie may rattle and all, but you can fix whatever is broken pretty cheaply, which will get the car back to shape, no pre-owned car will be 100 percent so there will be some compromise, Hyundai parts and labor are expensive even for periodic maintenance which you may have to go for at least twice a year. Don't misunderstand, they make better common man cars and in my family too Hyundai's outnumber other brands, but just that they aren't in league with economy Maruti's in parts pricing.

As ravradha suggested a detailed test drive and inspection will help you here.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 19th August 2014 at 21:11.
s_pphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 08:02   #40
BHPian

Thanks Philip! You advise also provides a very good insight into the used car buying market. I usually buy new and this is first foray into the used car market. I completely agree that it depends on car to car (in the used market) and how well it has been maintained. I also agree with the temptation of getting a bigger for 10-20k increase (for ex: in olx you can find corollas for 2.5L and Civics 3-3.5L but only Lord knows how they are inside out....).

Anyways I was too busy in my office work to look for any good cars. I will start next weekend. Meantime, I would appreciate it very much if you guys could forward me any ads for a used Wagon R or a good Santro or if you know anyone in your circle who is selling.

Once again thanks a lot!!! Its exciting to find such a forum as Team-BHP in India.The quality and knowledge of people around here is simply awesome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks