Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2006, 14:49   #1

Indica Turbo Diesel or the Swift ?

Hi all,

I have been reading several threads on this forum.
I want a car which is sturdy in its build and that which performs well on Indian roads with reasonable power or mileage .

I think two cars stand out in the lot, The Indica turbo and the Swift.

Which of the two would you recommend ?

I am a little worried on the mileage aspect of the Swift.
I would take the Swift as its a well powered car.
But, how much mileage is everybody getting on the Swift ?

As for Indica... If Cab drivers are using it, the vehicle must be damn good for the abuse they put it through.
The Indicas interiors arent so bad either.

So which of the two should I consider ?

Cheers
Kiran

Last edited by Zappo : 25th June 2008 at 00:35. Reason: No links to unrelated external sites please... either as a signature or a footer.
Old 24th March 2006, 14:52   #2
BHPian

i would say swift...

and please you are comparing a Td with Petrol...
if you want maintenance free go for swift...
i am not too sure about Indica TD but old indica start getting body Vib...
its your shot...
think and play...
Old 24th March 2006, 14:55   #3
BHPian

If you are looking for an entry level diesel car Indica TDI is the one for you, if you are going for a B+ segment petrol car Swift it is for you. Swift gives 10+ in the City with a/c on petrol mind you. Indica TDI should give you 14+ on diesel.
Old 24th March 2006, 15:22   #4
BHPian

diesel and petrol models are two different categories to consider.

if your daily travel is less than about 60-70KMs then you'd go for a petrol car, else diesel is the best bet.

so decide your usage and pick the car.
both cars are good.
Old 24th March 2006, 15:45   #5
BANNED

Indica Turbo

Have you abandoned the Bolero?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ro-sportz.html
Old 24th March 2006, 15:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Well, it all boils down to your daily travel. If it is >50kms, i would say you should go for the Indica TDi. About mileage, obviously you are going to get more than Swift.
One thing i hate about Swift is that it looks huge from behind, but when you step inside, there is hardly any space to talk of..

I personally think that Indica TD DLG, with recent price cuts of about 20k, is a great great VFM..

Last edited by DCEite : 24th March 2006 at 15:54.
Old 24th March 2006, 16:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

If u're travelling a lot, the Turbo indica makes sense.

Else, I'd suggest the Swift
Old 24th March 2006, 16:10   #8

Yes, I have abandoned the Bolero purchase.

I am thinking of the Indica DLG turbo or the Swift VXi both which look sturdy. I am aware one is a Diesel while the other is a petrol... world of a difference there.
But I am okay with either one.

I am not looking at the Getz or the Santro as I really dont trust that Korean sheet metal body. Looks too flimsy to be safe.

Cheers
Kiran
Old 24th March 2006, 16:20   #9
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
today i travelled in a indica taxi whose speedo is showing 1,38,800 KM for 120 KM. it effortlesly crossed 90 KMPH on bangalore devanhalli route and is just fine. no body rattles, no doors fel part, the driver said he himself was driving the particular indica for 18000 KM and no problems at all. so i do not understand why do car magzines and people thing indica will not stnad long and its longterm reliabilty is doubtful etc etc.
Old 24th March 2006, 16:33   #10
BHPian

indica produces better FE than the swift and torque too is better than swift .
the swift produces 113NM@4500RPM and
indica turbo produces 130NM@2500RPM and even the engine displacement is better with swift producing 1298cc and indica 1405cc and other + point s are more head and leg room
Old 24th March 2006, 18:24   #11
Team-BHP Support

Ok... now that you have said that you are not bothered that Indica is a diesel against swift's petrol, and people have started counting out the virtues let me tell you some facts as one having some experience with Indicas (2, one is 2003 model and the other is the 2005 model but non-turbo).

First and foremost, if you take good care of your car Indica's diesel heart should not cost you any problems. As someone pointed to the 1.3L kms old Indica. The theory of running 50-60 kms everyday originated much earlier when diesel cars used to cost a bomb. Hence the calculation used to take those many kms into consideration so as to recover the premium one used to pay. An indica does not come with that premium in the first place. So there...

Maintenance wise every 5000 kms you will need to change oil and maybe filters religiously. Thats about it for regular services. At Tata's rates (most legitimate in the industry) that is hardly anything. And the FE is phenomenal for such a big car. My new non-turbo one definitely gives 17-18 in city (bad choked roads of Hyderabad) without AC. With AC that figure probably varies between 16.5-17.5 (yes only that much). The Turbo one probably will return a km less. At any cost it should give 15 minimum in city.

Only thing you need to check is that in terms of performance you won't have something that will set the Thames on fire (ok, make that Ganges)! I said that because your other choices (Swift, Baleno) are known for their zippier performances. A turbo diesel will have those turbo lags, and even thereafter won't be in the baleno class probably. However in terms of other factors like comfort, economy, size, reliability (yes I said reliability) you can be assured you will be smiling everyday. At least my personal experience says so
Old 24th March 2006, 18:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Or you could wait 6 months and buy either a Getz CRDi or a Swift JTD, hook a Pete's box on, and get 20+ kmpl and awesome power.
Old 24th March 2006, 18:43   #13
k36
BHPian

Xeta?

I faced the same dilemma a few weeks back. Heart said Swift for its performance, driving pleasure and image whereas head said Indica (Turbo/Xeta) for cost of ownership. Finally my heart won. Waiting for taking delivery next week .
Why don't you consider the Xeta? Performance is a little better than the Turbo and that too without the lag! Its a compromise between Swift and Turbo.
Old 24th March 2006, 19:57   #14
BHPian

What is the price difference between the Turbo and the Swift??
Old 25th March 2006, 02:12   #15
Senior - BHPian

As most of the people here have talked about Diesel vs Petrol, I wont talk on that. If you consider comfort, the Indica comes with a very good suspension and a much better back seat than the Swift.

About the maintainence, I sold my Indica in my neighbourhood. I see it everyday and keep a track about its reliability with the owner too. Its 4 years old now, still doing great having completed 67,000 kms.

If you maintain a diesel engine properly, it wont let you down. It is actually a misconception that diesel engines are not all that reliable after certain kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks