Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai: Grand i10 vs i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly View Post
1) Good looks (exterior & interior)
2) Long Features List
3) Decent Mileage (12-15kmpl in city driving of 500 kms/month)
1. Although looks are a matter of personal choice, I feel Gi10 wins here for most.
2. Not sure of the differences in feature list of the two, but Gi10 commands a pretty long feature list on its own. Personally, I truly love the true keyless entry feature of Gi10, not sure if its available in i20 or not.
3. In a comparison between manual and AT, manual will surely win hands down. Note that Hyundai ATs are not known for their FE. Do note that I do not own an AT, hence do not know its exact mileage.

Not sure how the resale value will pan out, but we can probably assume that a new model will perhaps command a better resale than a model that will be facelifted in the next one year.
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:36   #47
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Quick question relevant to this thread but not addressed yet. I am confused between Grand i10 ASTA AT (Petrol) and i20 ASTA (O) (Petrol). Both have a price difference of 50K (OTR). So money is not a concern.

3) Decent Mileage (12-15kmpl in city driving of 500 kms/month)

Lastly, 5 years down the line, which would command a better resale value and by how much difference?
Comparing an AT with an MT is not an easy task. Depends on the conditions the car is being driven in. I think an AT is good for city use with a monthly use of ~500km. I don't think 12 kmpl is achievable in the AT. 10-11 kmpl is possible I think.

I think the i20's advantages are:
  • Space for 5 people (wider and longer)
  • 295 liter boot
  • More premium interiors
  • Manual transmission, for the purist
The grand i10 is less spacious and has a smaller boot. If you want a boot, I think you can try Xcent. (It's shorter than i20 )
5 years down the line, I think grand i10 will have better resale value as it's a newer model. The i20 facelift is round the corner.

Quote:
I am buying the car for my wife and she has to travel a lot within Hyderabad city for her client visits and hence, more or less made up my mind to buy the Grand i10 AT for stress-free driving.
Then grand i10 AT makes a good case for itself. Let her drive the AT with the peace of mind.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 19:15   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
1. Although looks are a matter of personal choice, I feel Gi10 wins here for most.
Not sure how the resale value will pan out, but we can probably assume that a new model will perhaps command a better resale than a model that will be facelifted in the next one year.
Thanks Yosbert.
1) I agree with you on the looks part. The Grand does stand out in the crowd (one of the reasons why I had shortlisted in the first place.
2) i20 has a longer features list. I have done a fair amount of research in that department. Btw, i20 does have a keyless entry & start/stop button. But at the end day, those extra features don't really make a lot of difference in day-to-day driving
3) Again, you are right there, I am prepared for not so great FE on an AT. My Elantra gives me 8-9 kmpl in bumper-to-bumper city driving with AC on. However, I was hoping for a 12-14kmpl for the Grand owing to its smaller size and more refined engine. I guess I will only know once I buy it.

On the whole, I have decided to purchase the Grand - solely for the automatic gear-box, looks, features list and better resale value.

Thanks D4D for your inputs. We have finally decided to buy the Grand.

On a side note, I hate Xcent's looks. My wife would be mostly using it 95% of the time with no co-passengers and no weekend trips planned as such. So need for boot space. I think rear seat legroom is more or less the same in i20 and Grand.
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Yosbert.
1) I agree with you on the looks part. The Grand does stand out in the crowd (one of the reasons why I had shortlisted in the first place.
2) i20 has a longer features list. I have done a fair amount of research in that department. Btw, i20 does have a keyless entry & start/stop button. But at the end day, those extra features don't really make a lot of difference in day-to-day driving
3) Again, you are right there, I am prepared for not so great FE on an AT. My Elantra gives me 8-9 kmpl in bumper-to-bumper city driving with AC on. However, I was hoping for a 12-14kmpl for the Grand owing to its smaller size and more refined engine. I guess I will only know once I buy it.

On the whole, I have decided to purchase the Grand - solely for the automatic gear-box, looks, features list and better resale value.
To give you a data point on FE, my 3 month old Gi10 manual gives me a FE of ~13 kmpl currently in b-b city driving with ~50% AC. So temper your expectations from an AT accordingly.

On the feature list, what really riles me is the missing MID functions like DTE and run time FE. I mean these are simple software options, I would assume, how hard is it provide them .

But finally, I do believe that you will not regret your decision to go for the Grand. It does tick a lot of boxes as you mention and will be a pleasure to own. All the best with your purchase.
yosbert is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 01:11   #50

Hey elly...Congrats on choosing grand I10.
I own a black magna.. I am extremely biased towards black cars

Between the colors that you mentioned, I like the grey better, though I feel color is absolutely a personal choice.

When it comes to fuel efficiency, I calculated yesterday only, I am getting 14kmpl with 50% AC utilization. And my car is just 660 kms old..so post my 1st servicing I expect it to go up by another 1kmpl May be..

But the kind of usage that you mentioned,I believe AT will make more sense.. but FE might be south of 13kmpl mostly.

All in all I believe it's a right decision you have taken as it's a breeze to drive inside the city because of its maneuverability.

When it comes to I20 vs grand I10, even with the more premium feel, I20 lost out for me for two reasons..
a) Even though it's more spacious, ergonomically it's not that great, particularly the rear bench with backrest set at almost 90° is a pain for the passengers.
b) When it comes to the driving pleasure, I20 lags behind. With almost identical power output to Grand, but being heavier, it's a tad too slow for me.

Yosbert,
Buddy I totally agree with you, not having DTE or live FE is more annoying than being a real inconvenience. It's a real shame that they missed out on that .
abchrjee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks