Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2006, 23:23   #16
BHPian

Palio 1.6-
Price = 5 Lakhs
Feels like = a 10 lakh car
Driving Pleasure = Priceless

I own one and its a fantastic driver's car,probably the best in a long time to come at that price point.
Someone asked me the reason I bought this car since the mileage is "supposed" to be "very" low(which is not entirely true anyways).So I told him "Do you know its got a 16 valve DOHC engine with knock sensors,along with a 32 bit ECU,and it produces 100PS@ 5500rpm and 14 kgm of torque @ 4250rpm?His expression was .So I told him boss if you dont understand what I just said,then you will never understand why I bought this car
And regarding your query about "hibernating" the car for long durations,there is no issue as such with any of these new cars,just disconnect the battery terminals,get a good protective car cover and if possible every once in a while ask someone to drive the car for some time and maintain proper air pressure.Good luck with your car hunt

Last edited by roms : 27th June 2006 at 23:29.
Old 28th June 2006, 10:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
very few service centres in Bangalore
As of now there are 4 service centers for the Palio in Bangalore..... Not bad if u ask me!
Old 28th June 2006, 21:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Someone asked me the reason I bought this car since the mileage is "supposed" to be "very" low(which is not entirely true anyways).So I told him "Do you know its got a 16 valve DOHC engine with knock sensors,along with a 32 bit ECU,and it produces 100PS@ 5500rpm and 14 kgm of torque @ 4250rpm?His expression was .So I told him boss if you dont understand what I just said,then you will never understand why I bought this car
ha ha roms, poor fellow that you just torqued him out of his senses

Old 28th June 2006, 21:27   #19
BHPian

hi superamerica,i was in your same situation at the beginning of the month(with the only exception being instead of the getz my options list included the fusion!!)and finally i zeroed in on the palio 1.6 sport.about the entire process of buying it i will be posting a totally new thread but for now answering some of your queries--1)about mileage,i feel you should re-consider as i am getting a mileage of 12 in the highway with ac.service guys told will get 14 after 1st service.anyway forget 11kmpl in the city.but then no-one bought the 1.6 for mileage!!
2)even i heard its going to be replaced by a new palio in few months time(read it in autocar).but i didnt think much about that as i will be keeping the car for another 5 years(by then resale value would have somewhat stabilised)plus from what i read the new model will not be having a 1.6 engine in their line-up
3)this is a problem which only i have faced and am slightly worried too-the gearbox is slightly rubbery!!none of the gtx owner friends i have complained about the gearshift.planning to show it at 1st service too.
apart from these,the palio trounces the other cars you have listed.you will never get the same adrenalin rush in the swift(forget the getz)brilliant mid-range and excellent handling!!ride is slightly firm but no complaints on that count!!
so there you have it.best advice-take a test drive for yourself!!and then decide.all the best
Old 8th July 2006, 11:52   #20
BHPian

Hi Superamerica, I have a Palio 1.6 2004 model in Bangalore. Quality wise, its absolutely top notch. The only thing I dont like much about the car is its interiors, which though is very functional, cant be compared with either Getz or Swift. Mileage is absolutely not a problem unless you touch its limits which is way higher than the other cars you mentioned here. And carfreak, I too experienced that slightly rubbery gear shift initially, but can tell you that after the car does 2 services, it is as good as anything.
Old 10th July 2006, 11:11   #21

superamerica, go ahead and get the Palio 1.6 Sports. None of the other cars in your list can beat Palio 1.6 in most of the aspects. It has a wonderul engine, good torque, reliable and very safe. Its truly a driver's car. Only thing I dislikes is the quality of plastics. But that apart, the car simply rocks...
Old 10th July 2006, 15:18   #22
BHPian

Palio 1.6 all the way

Hey,
I was madly looking for a car for since an year. I drove all small cars, and most of midsize cars (except diesel cars). I never drove in India, so wanted a refined and safe car, thanks to team-bhp i read a lot about Palio and specially the 1.6 , as my budget was not ready for a 5.2L i settled for a used Palio GTX, i got it a month back, and i would say its the best car you could get. none of the small cars can be compared to it. If you are not looking for mileage and resale value, and u value driving pleasure and safety above all then just go for it. An absolutely class vehicle.

-Pavan
Old 10th July 2006, 15:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Interesting. Almost every reply here is from a Palio owner. If only FIAT realised the loyalty of their buyers and made an effort to change their attitude about India. Image the consequences...

If its a choice from the heart, the Palio GTX takes it.
Mix of heart and head = Swift
Only the head talking = Getz.

I guess its upto you to figure out which part of your body is strongest!
Old 10th July 2006, 15:31   #24
BHPian

No doubt.It would be Palio 1.6 Sport.I didn't have enough budget to extend, hence settled down for 1.2.But no regrets.Its too an awesome car!!.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks