Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2006, 08:16   #1
BHPian

Swift/Getz/Palio 1.6Sport??

I have shortlisted the swift/Getz/Palio 1.6Sport. I would be driving around 500 kms a month mostly in Bangalore city traffic. Im not able to make up my mind on one. My requirements are as follows :-
  • Decent mileage of around 11 kmpl
  • Good Build and reliability
  • Smooth gearbox and transmission with a good low end torque for minimal gear changes in traffic.
  • NVH factor should be low in the cabin.
  • Should not be superseded by an upgrade very soon
Also if I buy a car now I would be driving it for say a month and a half and then would be off abroad for about 2 months. I have a few questions on this.
  1. Is it fine for a new car to remain idle for about 2 months or so? Would this not interfere with the run-in period of the car?
Any help in clarification my above questions would be really useful.
Old 26th June 2006, 08:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

• Decent mileage of around 11 kmpl; Getz and Swift
  • Good Build and reliability: Getz,Palio and Getz, Swift, Palio
  • Smooth gearbox and transmission: Swift, Palio, Getz
  • NVH factor should be low in the cabin: Getz, Swift, Palio
Threads regarding these 3 cars exist and do check those to get more ideas/comments by owners of these cars. But, if it was for me ,Palio 1.6 Sport !
Old 26th June 2006, 13:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
  • Smooth gearbox and transmission: Swift, Palio, Getz
Threads regarding these 3 cars exist and do check those to get more ideas/comments by owners of these cars. But, if it was for me ,Palio 1.6 Sport !
Is it??? I heard from Swift owners itself as Gearbox is not that smooth.. I had driven both Palio and Swift and there is no match for Palio Gearbox..
Old 26th June 2006, 13:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

among these three, I would pick either the Getz or the Palio. My mum drives a getz and is generally happy with the car, but my dad is not too impressed. He thinks that the car is a bit "soulless- not very involving to drive" (his exact words!). but overall no issues with the car as yet (2500 kms old). FE is 10 in Delhi with AC on 100%

I drive a Palio ELX in bangy and so far am very happy with the car. FE is 12.5 with AC and the build is awesome.

The 1.6 should give u about 10-11 with AC, and it looks the best among all teh three that you have shortlisted. In traffic, its low end torque easily outclasses both the Getz and swift. the swift actually feels a bit gutless at low reves.

keep us posted on ur choice.
Old 26th June 2006, 16:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Palio gearbox felt very smooth ( on a 1.2). Heard problems with Swift build quality fromsome TBHPians and drive at slow speeds wasnt up to the mark. GEtz is what one should buy if its for a family, VFM.

If you arent concerned abt FE, Palio 1.6
Old 26th June 2006, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Palio 1.6, wins in all depts, also FE is comparable to getz n swift. I hv a palio 1.6 2006 model, im very happy with it, its giving around 10-10.5 km/l in city, getz might give around 0.5-1 km more, thts it, which doesnt matter, when the driving pleasure comes into picture!
The only dept where palio loses is in its low resale value presently, if u plan to keep it for more than 3-4 yrs, then, its a gr8 buy. Better than any contemporary hatch avilable in india at present
Old 26th June 2006, 16:33   #7
BHPian

I can say Palio 1.6 Sports. It wins in all terms except mileage and resale value. May be 1 km less than that of Getz/Swift. Current most beutiful looking hatch subjective). I own a APR-2006 Palio 1.6, believe me it is a great vehicle (most of the BHPian's agree).. Do take a test ride before going for any vehicle.
Old 26th June 2006, 19:34   #8
BHPian

superamerica, it got to be palio 1.6 sports, just no two way about it.

build qality, comfort, gear shift, nvh factor, Fe decent (i dunno why this has been blown or of proportion) but the reason why this beauty is intoxicating is because of driving pleasure. when you do as little as 500km per month it should be on top most of your agenda and palio sports 1.6 just does not has any comptetion even in higher segments.

P.s face lifted palio will hit indian roads by september, so the only drawback i.e avg interior will be taken care of wait if you can otherwise its a steal at the price

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

you dream about it, your heart yearn for it, and you murmer in your sleeep

PALIO 1.6
Old 26th June 2006, 20:35   #9
BHPian

But I understand may be the facelifted palio is coming only in 1.2 and the diesel version. So it thats true then sport 1.6 is not seeing any change.
Old 26th June 2006, 23:44   #10
BHPian

Thanks all for the overwhelming response to my query. Could someone also clarify my other question..

Also if I buy a car now I would be driving it for say a month and a half and then would be off abroad for about 2 months. I have a few questions on this.
  1. Is it fine for a new car to remain idle for about 2 months or so? Would this not interfere with the run-in period of the car?
-SuperAmerica
Old 27th June 2006, 11:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superamerica
Is it fine for a new car to remain idle for about 2 months or so? Would this not interfere with the run-in period of the car?
-SuperAmerica
No probs at all, just disconnect the Batteries before you leave.
Old 27th June 2006, 11:22   #12
BHPian

if u can do away with the mileage part then palio 1.6 sport it is. nothing beats that wonderful car.
Old 27th June 2006, 21:42   #13
BHPian

Love the car..but have heard the servicing is not too great in a palio..very few service centres in Bangalore

on a related note..any news on how the new tata-fiat sales and servicing is coming along?

Didn't know about the facelifted palio in sept..and i'm an avid autocar reader!!! or did i just miss it :-)
Old 27th June 2006, 22:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

I haven't driven the Swift and the Getz but have owned the Palio so here goes:

Quote:
Decent mileage of around 11 kmpl
you said it's gonna be Bangalore traffic driving. Not sure if even the M800 will return 11 kmpl in that situation! Jokes aside, I'd say it will be a stretch for both the Swift and Getz to return that kinda mileage too. You can forget 11 kmpl in pure hardcore Bangalore traffic with AC from the Palio. The GTX has a bigger, more powerfull engine totally biased towards performance and I'd guess it's heavier then the other two cars you are considering too.

Quote:
Good Build and reliability
I'd say Palio has the best build quality among the three with the Swift having the worst. There is a thread on the poor build in the Swift on this forum. check that out. I don't think reliablity is an issue with any car nowadays unless you are unlucky and end up with a lemon. That could happen with any car maker.

Quote:
Smooth gearbox and transmission with a good low end torque for minimal gear changes in traffic
I'd say GTX engine performs well here. The Palio should be the best performer overall based on engine specs.

Quote:
NVH factor should be low in the cabin.
Depends on how much quietness you want. This is subjective. I can tell you I never had any issues with the Palio. Even when on the move, there was no wind noise near the rear view mirrors or A pillars. Nice, quiet ride. At high rpm's the engine takes a sporty italian rasp but you will love that!

Quote:
Should not be superseded by an upgrade very soon
New Palio coming in Sept Oct though reports say the interiors will not be changed much. Both Maruti and Hyundai or for that matter Japanese and Korean car makers have a habit of launching "all new improved" versions of their cars every few weeks! Compared to that, European car makers have a habit of holding their models looks and features for a longer time.

Last edited by amit : 27th June 2006 at 22:11.
Old 27th June 2006, 22:56   #15
BHPian

Hi

buddy palio 1.6 is the way.....drive it to belive it!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks