Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2006, 22:40   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Swift v/s Santro v/s Getz

Hey guys,
my cousin is looking for a car to replace his 2004 Santro Xing XG as it suffered a nasty bang and has been giving problems since.
That was his second santro and he is quite happy with the car otherwise but due to the problems he is selling it and is looking for a bigger car.
Here is the criteria -

Cars short listed
- Santro XO
- Getz GVS/GLS
- Swift VXi with or without ABS (i'm trying to convince him to get the version with the ABS).

Price range
Upto 5.5L.
Basically, he doesn't want to exceed Rs 12,000 in Emis over 3 years.

Average distance traveled per month
He does quite a bit of travelling. Take around 50 kms/day + frequent visits to Pune (though it may be reduced once he starts taking the train there)

Specific requirements from car
Good comfort
Fuel efficient
Fun to drive
Good boot space
Cheap to Maintain
Easy to drive in the city
He has a family of 4 (1 child, his wife, his mother, he himself) and the car is used by his wife from time to time too.
Resale Value should be good

I went and saw all the cars and here is what i feel -
Santro - He already has one and has had one. This would be his 3rd Santro so we aren't to biased towards it.
Getz - I loved the interiors, space, comfort and the build quality was impressive. The car also looked really hot in Red.
Swift - Well, apart from the looks and engine, there wasn't much left to be impressed by. However, my brother is really biased towards the swift and i am trying to convince him to get the Getz.

He is planning of a test drive of the swift and getz soon but i just wanted you opinions also too so i know he made the right choice.
BTW, is there any other option that he should consider? He doesn't mind waiting for a month or two.
Thanks and Cheers
Lambo
Old 17th July 2006, 22:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Family car = Getz. has boot,is spacious.
Old 18th July 2006, 10:45   #3
BHPian

How about bringing the Indica Turbo into the picture. It is a diesel, but scores high on all the requirements.
Old 18th July 2006, 10:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Goldie,
We have had bad experiences with Tata products like the company Indigo, my bua's indigo, and our indica and hence aren't too keen on a Tata.
JKdas,
it will be used by my brother or his wife mostly on self drive. Family use will be not very frequent.
It also needs to have a big boot as my brother carries a lot of stuff as is required by his job and it should be easy to handle in the city as he drives a lot in city traffic.
Cheers and thanks.
Old 18th July 2006, 10:59   #5
BHPian

Why Santro...if he wants to change, change for better

Suggest to go for Getz, nice interiors, space & boot...& better A.S.S (my personal exp)

cheers
Old 18th July 2006, 11:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

One of the parameters you mention is resale value. In my opinon Swift will hold its value better than Getz. However, I hated the rear seat of Swift so I hope you cousin is taking his family along for the test drive of Getz and Swift.

I would personally pick Swift over Getz because it looks way more cool than Getz and drives better. Granted that Getz is more practical but then I am of the view that when it comes to choosing Cars heart matters more than head .
Old 18th July 2006, 16:28   #7
BHPian

Maruti is the resale! Maruti is cheap to own! Maruti is fuel efficient! Maruti Swift is good in city driving! Maruti Swift is the technology! Maruti Swift looks good!

What is remaining?

If your cousine needs more space, Swift is not for him! For rest things, don't stop him from buying Swift.
Old 18th July 2006, 16:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknowthisguy
Why Santro...if he wants to change, change for better
Suggest to go for Getz, nice interiors, space & boot...& better A.S.S (my personal exp) cheers
How will A.S.S. vary for cars from the same company ? Both the cars are Hyundai and the A.S.S. depends on the company, dealer etc and would not vary from car to car of the same brand.
Old 18th July 2006, 16:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Here we go

Swift vs Getz vs Palio

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ighlight=Swift

PS: Your option here was palio ahead of swift and getz

Getz vs Swift

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ighlight=Swift

Pictorial comparison between Getz and Swift

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ighlight=Swift
Old 18th July 2006, 16:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another car u can look at is the Esteem VXi. fits bang into your budget and satisfies almost all ur crieteria. Plus it is a sedan- so boot space is a given here!

If u want to save about 35K, u can also consider the LXi
Old 18th July 2006, 16:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
How will A.S.S. vary for cars from the same company ? Both the cars are Hyundai and the A.S.S. depends on the company, dealer etc and would not vary from car to car of the same brand.
Why again Satro? lets take it out from the list. between Getz and Swift, suggest to for Getz.............................................. ......

am i right Mr.Iknowthisguy?
Old 18th July 2006, 17:36   #12
BHPian

"Supremebaleno-- How will A.S.S. vary for cars from the same company ? Both the cars are Hyundai and the A.S.S. depends on the company, dealer etc and would not vary from car to car of the same brand"

I was talking abt swift vs getz...oops I forgot to mention!!! Spot On Surprise...
Old 18th July 2006, 19:55   #13
BHPian

Since you have mentioned that it would be partly lady driven as well, I would probably incline to the getz... I dont know if I am the only one observing this, but lady drivers, especially who are short seem to be hiding inside the swift, it could potentially end up in visibility issues...better test drive and check it out...
Old 18th July 2006, 20:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish
Since you have mentioned that it would be partly lady driven as well, I would probably incline to the getz... I dont know if I am the only one observing this, but lady drivers, especially who are short seem to be hiding inside the swift, it could potentially end up in visibility issues...better test drive and check it out...
I dont think there would be any issues with the visibility from the driver's or the passenger seats in the front. The swift zxi has seat height adjustment for the driver's seat. Not sure about Vxi though

The rear seating bench may feel a bit claustrophobic initially though.
Old 19th July 2006, 09:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

If style matters a lot and you plan to tune or upgrade the car, and dont care that much about practicality, go for the Swift..

If you just want a car which is practical, quick, and handsome, then go for the Getz. In the real world, this is the more practical car, although it may have a bit of Swift's-poor-cousin-ness about it.

Santro is for great in-city driving without any worries.

Just my two paise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks