Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2006, 13:44   #1
BHPian

Hi All,

After a lot of reserach i have narrowed to the Palio/Swift/Getz hatches.I travel only in the weekends and go for a long drive(<400 KM) once a month.I look for a car with lots of Space,Comfort,good driving pleasure with a mileage of 12-15 Kms(Without A/C).

I found Palio to be the right choice but i am still scary about Fiat's service,Availability of spares.Please suggest me the right vehicle (If palio,wht is the model is it 1.2 NV OR 1.6 Sports).
Old 13th September 2006, 14:51   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Bro,
go for the Palio 1.6 with your eyes closed. It's one of the best hatches in the market if you want an all rounder which is fun to drive.
Cheers
Old 13th September 2006, 14:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

I find Palio 1.9D lot of fun to drive. So you can expected Palio 1.6 with more powerful engine and light weight to be even more fun.
Old 13th September 2006, 15:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

if fun to Drive is what u r looking for, look no furhter than the Palio 1.6

As regards service, things have really improved after the tata tie up- so servicing will be at par with any tata product.
Old 13th September 2006, 15:28   #5

Palio 1.6 - no small hatch can ever come close....also is solid n safe...mileage from the 100BHP beast will be 10-11 with A/c in city and 12-13 with A/c on highways...
Old 13th September 2006, 15:33   #6
BHPian

If space is not your primary concern, SWIFT VXi is the right choice. You will have pleasure driving it in city and off city. I am really enjoying my swift ride everyday and it has done 15K km in 8 months.
Old 13th September 2006, 15:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsun
If space is not your primary concern, SWIFT VXi is the right choice. You will have pleasure driving it in city and off city. I am really enjoying my swift ride everyday and it has done 15K km in 8 months.

While the swift is no doubt a decent car in its own right, and you must be enjoying yours, in terms of fun to drive, it doesn't even come close to teh Palio 1.6.

the Palio has better power, acceleration-both initial and in gear, better road holding, better suspension, better biuld quality, comparable FE and now a lower price than the swift.

IMHO- there is no comparison!

P.S. I would have also said better looks but then looks are subjective and I happen to like the looks of the swift as well-esp with good alloys and wide rubber.
Old 13th September 2006, 16:08   #8
BHPian

Hatch + build Quality + driving Pleasure = Palio 1.6.
test drive all three( Palio1.6,swift& getz) and decide yourself.

Don't worry about spare/Service now with tata and fiat JV.
Old 13th September 2006, 16:23   #9
BANNED

Swift VXI is an overall good car! It's capable of bringing a wide smile on your face every time you drive/sit/see it than the other cars you've shortlisted. Palio can make you smile while you drive it, but will make you weep when it's in for service.
Getz is better avoided. It getz OLD very soon. And after all it's just a Hyundai.
Old 13th September 2006, 16:38   #10
BHPian

If you are willing to take the chance with A.S.S. and resale value, then the Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport can't be beat. I have heard that Fiat service is improving but you need to check out the situation at your location. Hang around the service centres for some time and see whats happening and you'll get an idea. If you find customers screaming and a lot of arguments, stay away from that dealer/workshop. I had a Palio S10 and whenever I took my car for repairs or service, there would be one or two customers screaming their lungs out. I have a Baleno now and I don't hear any customers screaming at the workshop.

If you are looking for pure performance and handling, as I said earlier, the Palio it is. The Swift will give you decent performance, handling, ride and the bonus will be peace of mind and good resale value but you'll be short on space. On the other hand, the Getz is the space king, will give you peace of mind, decent resale and ride but may disappoint you on the performance and handling front.

From your post, I gather that A.S.S. is important. If you don't need acres of space then the Swift would fit the bill perfectly. You definitely won't go wrong.
Old 13th September 2006, 16:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Swift or Palio would be a good choice, but you will also have to consider Service & Spares as that can be at times a significant share of the running costs.

Also please consider the probable resale of the car when it is time to upgrade. I would love to recommend a 1.6 Palio but the resale when it's time to sell would be horrendous & for that reason alone I would be a little wary of it.
Old 13th September 2006, 17:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
Swift VXI is an overall good car! It's capable of bringing a wide smile on your face every time you drive/sit/see it than the other cars you've shortlisted. Palio can make you smile while you drive it, but will make you weep when it's in for service.
Getz is better avoided. It getz OLD very soon. And after all it's just a Hyundai.
Off-topic.......Arre i waz talkin to a pal and he said tht Swift gives a milage of 10 and is not such a great performer and a WagonR is better any day thn it.....is tht true????
Old 13th September 2006, 17:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Palio is fun to drive, except when u have to take a bloody U-turn !! Then it feels like the Titanic with a turning radius of a bus . Mind you, I still love the Palio and own one.
Old 13th September 2006, 17:41   #14
BHPian

It should be Palio 1.6 Sports. Undoubtedly. Palio 1.6 Sport does not have a competitor. Just close your eyes and go for it.

Moreover, now you will get around 70K discount on this. Though looks are subjective, I love the current Palio's looks.

I too own a palio 1.6 and it gives me the mileage of min 15.5 KMPL on a speed of 100-120KMPH always.

With TATA-FIAT relationship, do not worry about the spare parts and service, otherwise, TATA wouldn't have agreed for this relationship.
Old 13th September 2006, 18:04   #15
BHPian

If Swift is the hot hatch that the auto gurus here conclude,can you guys throw some light on the difference between Vxi and Zxi.Heard Zxi has broader tyres.Also,What about the option of Palio 1.2 NV .Is it a highway thriller with more punch?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks