Team-BHP - Replacement for my Tata Nano?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Replacement for my Tata Nano? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/174922-replacement-my-tata-nano-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyline_GT (Post 3949563)
I think you should check out the Renault Kwid as well. The car is compact, well built, clearly more agile than Nano. Quality wise Renault is miles ahead of Nano/Tiago. It has good GC and a well sized boot compared to it's competition. It's well within your 5Lac budget.
While Tiago also seems to be a good proposition but one main factor you need to take in consideration is that the Tiago is still in its first generation and TATA will take it's own sweet time to correct niggles/glitches if any as and when the customers report it. Had it been in its second/third gen it would have been the best replacement for your Nano.

By that comparison, even the Kwid is in its first generation and it should have the same issues with it as well.

Grand i10, Celerio, Figo, Swift, Ritz are some good options for the replacement.

Right now the plan is on hold. None of the competition offers the unique combination of characteristics that the Nano offers. I have asked Tata to check if there is a CNG Nano for test drive, but so far nothing has turned up.

For all other cars such as the Go, Kwid etc, the Nano manages to beat them in something or the other. Sometimes it's the dimensions, sometimes the fit and finish and most times the sheer price.

So for now I am holding onto my Nano.

Ok, out of the blue, Concorde motors sent a valuator to my office to check the car out and by evening they had finalized the benefit they would give me for the old car. The figure was bumped up a little when I told them I had put new tyres a couple of days back and many components had been replaced at the 60k mark for wear and tear.

Now the game starts. They have offered a CNG variant and a 2015 GenX XT variant. I am not sure if I can negotiate further discounts on these, but what the heck!

I have set the ball rolling within the office to start the lease process and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4030180)
I am not sure if I can negotiate further discounts on these, but what the heck!

Ah ! How the wheels roll !

Btw, I read (was in this thread) of huge discounts on the Nano in KL, that the OTR is below 3L ? Would that help you to push for some discounts ?

As I have posted in the other thread on buying cars with older manufacturing dates, the 2015 manufactured GenX model could p probably be had for a bit more discount.

But how much?

Check out the Mahindra e2o as well.My friend has it and I have driven it as well. Noiseless,vibration free, automatic. Very low maintenance and driving cost.

The E2O may be noiseless, but its blower makes an annoying racket. Also I am not sure I shall be comfortable with an automatic, and charging infrastructure is a huge problem for me.

Not to mention it's way out of the stipulated budget of max 5 lakh on road.

Checked out the 2015 stock at the Tata Motors stockyard near Panvel. Mostly clean cars, but they are parked in the open, without any shade/cover.

The question now is should I go for the CNG option which has no front fogs, no music system, no power windows, no power steering, no openable hatch, but has a much lower sticker price and running cost - or should I go for the Twist XT model which has all that the CNG doesn't have, but has a higher sticker price and relatively higher running costs?

Practical problems with CNG include long queues at CNG pumps, whereas the Twist comes with a 25 litre fuel tank, which means my current range is almost doubled (fewer visits to the pump). But does this justify an almost 15-20% increase in sticker price?

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4034798)
Mostly clean cars, but they are parked in the open, without any shade/cover.

Standard practice across brands.

Regarding the choice, I say XT. Apart from the features, the body has been strengthened too. The larger fuel tank will help more running between re-fuels, and also the petrol will mean avoiding the irritation of having to wait in the CNG que.
( Imagine - you are in a hurry, and want just a little CNG to keep you running. You will still have to go thru that que, how ever long).

The increased sticker price will be spread over the lifetime of the car for you, and should not matter so much at this price level. Also, how bad is the "relatively higher" running costs ? Shouldnt be that much here, again.

Peace of mind in many ways + More comforts + Newer, stronger build = XT

The CNG version is supposed to deliver around 36kms per kg. The CNG tanks can hold a little over 5 kg, I guess. So that gives around 160 odd kms on only CNG. With CNG costing around Rs. 42 a kg, that is Rs. 210, which is Rs. 1.3x per km.

My existing Nano gives me around 19-20 kmpl. At 20kmpl, and petrol at Rs. 65 (approx), the running cost would be Rs. 520, or Rs. 3.25 per km. So it's nearly three times as high.

The prices and the consumption are approximations, but needless to say, the savings to be had with CNG are not negligible.

I picked up a used 2014 nano twist xt in the last month. We were looking for a car for my brother to use for his college commute. Initially we were keen on the nano cng. But it was rejected because of the following reasons-

1. The XM cng doesn't have anything apart from the AC. Felt cheated for a car costing 3L OTR.

2. The CNG tank can hold about 4-4.5kgs. And Keeping In mind the real time efficiency it wouldn't give me a tank range of more than 120-125kms which meant my brother would be tanking up every 3 days. The long waiting at the CNG stations was another problem.

3. I drove the gen X first and was impressed with the light steering wheel. The non power steering wheel on the cng felt very heavy. This car also will be used by my mom & dad whenever they are here so something this heavy would be difficult for them.

3. There was a news of gen X cng coming out but will be slightly expensive.

I then came across this nano which had done 4.6k kms and was under extended warranty. Immediately picked it up for 1.5L. Already clocked about 1.5k kms and FE has been in the range of 16-18kmpl. After the service it should increase marginally. Don't know about the highway figures, haven't taken it on any highway drive yet. It has the company HU with comes with Bluetooth connectivity and has power windows+steering which was important for me. Given a choice for a new Nano I would simply pick the AMT. It makes a strong case as its very convenient to use. If I am not wrong you have a different car for your highway drives, In such a case the Nano AMT should be perfect for your office commute.

If possible wait for the Kwid 1.0 AMT, if priced well it will be terrific.

Asit

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4034919)
The CNG version

With CNG you also have to consider that the tanks almost never get filled completely, due to issues of pressure. I have seen cars of 10kg capacity getting only 7.5 to 8 kg of CNG.

As a complete googly, how does a used Reva sound in comparison to a Nano? Hideous looking car but sure does feel more refined :D Added torque should be a boon in traffic as well.

Just a thought as I am not a huge fan of either of these cars but if forced to I think maybe the Reva makes a strong case for itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 4034798)
Checked out the 2015 stock at the Tata Motors stockyard near Panvel. Mostly clean cars, but they are parked in the open, without any shade/cover.

The question now is should I go for the CNG option which has no front fogs, no music system, no power windows, no power steering, no openable hatch, but has a much lower sticker price and running cost - or should I go for the Twist XT model which has all that the CNG doesn't have, but has a higher sticker price and relatively higher running costs?

Practical problems with CNG include long queues at CNG pumps, whereas the Twist comes with a 25 litre fuel tank, which means my current range is almost doubled (fewer visits to the pump). But does this justify an almost 15-20% increase in sticker price?

Doesn't make sense. The CNG version is too bare boned for liking. Ideally pickup the new Nano with the AMT gearbox, after all what can replace a Nano, except a Nano??

@Honeybee - I exchanged my Dec 2011 Nano LX last month for Wagon R LXI CNG for 70K including exchange bonus.
I needed a car which is a natural upgrade, no-nonsense (aka practical) and fuel efficient car and hassle free ownership.

Nano in 4.5 years ran just above 30K kms, this was only weekend runs.
Wagon R CNG will run 55kms/day on weekdays. Weekends running as well (approx 1500 kms a month)
It's been 2 weeks since I took the delivery and have already driven it for ~1200kms.

Other than the initial pick up of Wagon R in comparison to Nano, everything else is pretty decent (AC, power steering, fuel efficient, getting in and out of the car, feels more confident on highways compared to Nano)