Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2006, 15:10   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Decent? I doubt anybody taller than 5'8" can sit in the rear without front seats fully pulled front. With front seats pulled back, its going to be very very cramped in rear.
For rear seat comfort, indigo/marina is miles ahead.
Thigh support is another area where indigo/marina wins hands down.
Old 12th December 2006, 15:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Decent? I doubt anybody taller than 5'8" can sit in the rear without front seats fully pulled front. With front seats pulled back, its going to be very very cramped in rear.
For rear seat comfort, indigo/marina is miles ahead.
Agreed the rear legroom in the Accent is pretty poor. I have trouble fitting in there & certainly won't recommend this car for a back seat passenger.
Old 12th December 2006, 15:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

well, i didn't exactly feel cramped sitting in the rear seat. i guess my driver must have been a lilliputian. i had pretty decent space to keep my legs. (Rest assured i am neither puny nor short).
Old 13th December 2006, 01:32   #19
JRD
BHPian

hey im confused the budget you have .?

is 2.3 lacs or a 2.3 litre engine?
anyway .. petra is great buy.. service is decent with tata around now..

also if you have a higher budget. innova is probably one the best diesels around..
later
JRD.
Old 13th December 2006, 16:22   #20
BHPian

Hey..any clue when is Indigo Dicor launching on Indian roads???

Cheers,
ICEMAN
Old 13th December 2006, 18:16   #21
BHPian

raaj127 go for the indigo diesel, you won't regret it. It is a logical upgrade from a diesel hatch.

1) Any other diesel sedan will cost atleast 2 lakhs more than the Indigo, without any benefit in long-term running cost, A.S.S. or comfort for that matter. Tata service and spare-parts are most economical among diesel vehicles.
2) You get decent 70 PS turbo power and 13.5 kgm torque. Though you'll have to idle the vehicle for about a minute, after starting and before turning-off the engine, to nurture the turbo.
3) 1070 kgs give some solidity to the vehicle and the car feels stable with the engine purring at 120 kmph. There is a little bit of body-roll though.
4) Indigo's seats (both front and rear) are very comfortable. One just needs to get used to the high dashboard, which is a bit awkward.
5) Luggage can be easily swallowed by the 530 litre class-leading cavernous boot of the Indigo.
6) Quality and reliability has much improved now, though the plastics are of poor quality. Timely service will ensure care-free running.
7) A.S.S. is no problem, as Tata has service centres in most cities. So out-of-town trips can be carefree.
8) Will transport people and luggage in comfort and take care of economy as well. I can give the real-world fuel-efficiency figures for my Indigo TDI:
City: 13-14 (with a/c) ; 14.5-15.5 (without a/c)
Highway: 17-18 (with a/c) ; 18-20 (without a/c)
9) Don't wait for the common-rail version, as it will be a little expensive than the current version and will have complicated and possibly imported electrics/mechanicals (high pressure common-rail unit) which is not tried and tested in Indian conditions in the long-term.
Old 14th December 2006, 10:59   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Luggage can be easily swallowed by the 530 litre class-leading cavernous boot of the Indigo.
It is only 450 lts. Class-leading is not really correct as Petra has a 500 lts boot.
Old 14th December 2006, 11:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Even I would recommend Petra D!

In terms of Ride comfort, Build quality and Engine refinement, it is miles ahead of Indigo!
Old 14th December 2006, 12:04   #24
Team-BHP Support

What about service support and reliability. Tata is not pushing the petra for obvious reasons. For someone looking for peace of mind a car which sells less than 200 units a month is not a good idea, irrespective of the brand.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Petra is available at Fiat exclusive dealers only, but it can be serviced at all the Tata Service centers! So, nothing to worry about Service!

And you should never buy a Car based on Sales figures, buy a Car which gives you the Most and the Best for your money!

Last edited by finneyp : 14th December 2006 at 12:19.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:24   #26
Team-BHP Support

When a bad car sells less it is understood. But when a good car does not sell, there is a problem
In its current Avatar with so few sales expect sales and service support issues. Availablitlity of spares is a problem(Know from personal experience, we have Fiat in family). Moreover the engine is nothing to write home about, its less powerful than the indigo and as far as maintainance costs go, it does not offer anything more than the indigo. For peace of mind Indigo is miles ahead, otherwise Petra would sell more.

Fiat stable makes excellent cars but we have faced problems in procuring spares. In a small town this becomes an even bigger problem. Thought Tata will service the petra, I doubt their service stations will be specifically geared to handle the petra. It was never part of the Fiat Tata combine and they are under no obligation to keep spares ready and they wont, because they dont want a competition to their own indigo.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

The car is for your parents. Go for an Indigo TDi - mileage is good - the older Indigo used to give 18 kmpl without fail, ride is extremely good with very few comparisons in the same space, space is great - both cabin and boot, spare parts are cheap besides being available and the power is pretty good (@ 70 PS its better than everything in the segment other than the Accent CRDi).

Except for the crappy plastics and the unusual driving position there's very little to complain about. In cabin refinement is surprisingly good.

PS: Tata Motors have some sort of 4 million smiles offer for having crossed the 4 million sales mark (4 million of what?) that runs up to 20th December. They're talking about 'Guaranteed Cash Benefits upto Rs.40,000' besides some daily draw for a Xeta every day.

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th December 2006 at 12:50.
Old 14th December 2006, 12:58   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
PS: Tata Motors have some sort of 4 million smiles offer for having crossed the 4 million sales mark (4 million of what?) that runs up to 20th December. They're talking about 'Guaranteed Cash Benefits upto Rs.40,000' besides some daily draw for a Xeta every day.
Slightly OT

The guaranteed cash benefit is applicable only if you opt for finance through Tata Motor Finance on their terms and as per a dealer, you pay a higher interest rate to obtain the cash discount.

As per the dealer, it is better to opt for the dealer's discount (which is lesser) and go with your own finance scheme, if required.
Old 14th December 2006, 22:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Luggage can be easily swallowed by the 530 litre class-leading cavernous boot of the Indigo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
It is only 450 lts. Class-leading is not really correct as Petra has a 500 lts boot.
My mistake. I stand corrected. Mods please correct the same in my previous post.
Old 14th December 2006, 23:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

@raaj since you are comparing the petra diesel with the indigo diesel I have to add the enthusiasts on this forum are refering to the Petra 1.6 petrol and not the 63 bhp, petra 1.9 diesel.

Between the marina and the indigo from the feedback I have got from owners,I think the indigo would be better,unless of course you have particular needs of an estate or you love/prefer the concept of estates.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks