Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2006, 19:34   #1

Upgrade from Indica Diesel

Hi,

I need help in choosing a good diesel car for my parents. They travel a lot (around 3000 km/month). the current Indica Diesel they own has 80K in less than 3 years. I am getting a request for 2.3L for this one.

I thought of upgrading into an Indigo Marina Diesel, but a friend advised that the current Version has some mileage and tyre problems and is suggesting to go for a Indigo Diesel. I am a bit confused, since some people in this thread talked about Petra Diesel and how it is better than Indigo.

Please help me spot a good car with nice leg room, fuel efficiency and less maintenance.

Regards,
Raaj
Old 11th December 2006, 19:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Petra is a great car. The only problems are
1. Lack of power as compared to indigo.
2. Spares and service support.
Build quality is top notch. If you don't mind bad after sales support and can do with part shortages, petra is okay. Keep in mind that if you get a failure etc., you may have to wait for few days for your car to be functional again, since tata is not pushing the Petra due to obvious reasons.
As for current batch problems etc., indigo sells more than the marina, so lot of kinks have been ironed out. Since both are the same car except rear suspension setup and other minor things, even marina should be a safe buy. So mileage problems are heresay, because both of them share the same engine and electricals.
Old 11th December 2006, 19:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj127 View Post
Hi,

I need help in choosing a good diesel car for my parents. They travel a lot (around 3000 km/month). the current Indica Diesel they own has 80K in less than 3 years. I am getting a request for 2.3L for this one.

I thought of upgrading into an Indigo Marina Diesel, but a friend advised that the current Version has some mileage and tyre problems and is suggesting to go for a Indigo Diesel. I am a bit confused, since some people in this thread talked about Petra Diesel and how it is better than Indigo.

Please help me spot a good car with nice leg room, fuel efficiency and less maintenance.

Regards,
Raaj
Dunno what your friend is talking about but Marina is mechanically almost the same as Indigo but with Gas rear shock absorbers. If you like marina there's no reason why you should stop yourself from doing so.
Old 12th December 2006, 00:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Dunno what your friend is talking about but Marina is mechanically almost the same as Indigo but with Gas rear shock absorbers. If you like marina there's no reason why you should stop yourself from doing so.

Besides... Its been a long time since Marina has been launched... Even the indigo got refreshed after that... So, it should be a safe buy...

Petra... Nice car... But... FIAT service... (Things look better with new TATA tie up... But still)
Old 12th December 2006, 00:20   #5
BHPian

Indigo and Marina diesel are the right choice for your upgrade. Will offer more luxury and good mileage also.
Old 12th December 2006, 00:21   #6
Team-BHP Support

Even after the Fiat-Tata alliance only few Fiats which have started moving are the Palios. As the sales guy at the local dealership was telling me that they are given targets to sell the Fiats as well. However no matter how they try Petras do not get sold and so they only stock Palios. Petras are ordered on booking.

By the way raaj... tell me something. Its only your parents who move around, right? I mean only two people... Do they also carry a lot of luggage? Why do you need such a big car as Marina? I mean if FE is a concern I would suggest stick to the Indica Turbo. Fold up the rear seats and you have a cavernous boot as well. The car is a hoot to drive and FE is way better than a Marina.

Think about it... unless of course your parents want to move up to something bigger.

Last edited by Zappo : 12th December 2006 at 00:24.
Old 12th December 2006, 10:59   #7

Though its only for my parents use, they move a lot out of town and hence the need to carry stuff around. In the current Indica I had to attach the luggage carrier.

Thanks for your replies. Its been very useful. I think I will settle for the Indigo.
Old 12th December 2006, 13:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

@raaj, I understand you have probably decided on the Indigo ..
Just wanted to bump this thread once since I was wondering whether you had considered the Tavera/Safari .. although more expensive, these would be pretty good for long hauls with luggage space requirement.
Old 12th December 2006, 13:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Raj,

u have not mentioned your budget. Hence it becomes a bit difficult to suggest a good upgrade. While the indigo/marina are good upgrades, their basic interior design is the same as the indica. Since you will be spending a good amount of money, dont you want that the upgrade should also feel like one? if you are on a tight budget, then the indigo/marina maker perfect sense. If you can stretch your budget upwards by a lakh and a half, the fiesta and the verna diesel are well worth a look.

Want diesel performance but not wanting to spend too much cash- look at the accent crdi- it is a little low on interior room compared to the indigo, but that 3 pot CRDi mill can still bring a smile on your face while at the same time consistently delivering 15+ KPL with AC!
Old 12th December 2006, 13:48   #10
Team-BHP Support

Accent crdi costs just 30,000 less than the Verna, which pegs it around 7L. After discounts it will be atleast 6.8 ex showroom.
As for room, it is uncomfortable for tall people. If you are willing to spend that much then Verna is a better option, but if your budget is less than 6 Indigo or Marina are the best options
Old 12th December 2006, 13:57   #11
BHPian

I agree with himanshugoswami
when your are spending so much dough & you also want to upgrade then why to go for Indigo/marina?

Though both cars are economical & can be fetched at 5 lacs but you can have a look at Accent / Verna CRDI or you can even look at Fiesta TDCi

As the car would be primarily used by your parents...its well refined & comfortable.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Accent crdi costs just 30,000 less than the Verna, which pegs it around 7L. After discounts it will be atleast 6.8 ex showroom.
Accent CRDi costs 7.2 lakhs on-road with discounts.
Old 12th December 2006, 14:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

The accent has a pretty decent legspace at the rear. Presuming that your parents will be having someone to drive them, it suits them fine & a far better car than the indigo
Old 12th December 2006, 15:04   #14
Team-BHP Support

Decent? I doubt anybody taller than 5'8" can sit in the rear without front seats fully pulled front. With front seats pulled back, its going to be very very cramped in rear.
For rear seat comfort, indigo/marina is miles ahead.
Old 12th December 2006, 15:10   #15
BANNED

80K km in less than 3 years - they need to sit comfortably. Whatever else they liked or did not like about the car, I guarantee the car would have spoilt them in terms of space. Luggage space and seat comfort? The Indigo / Marina would be their best bet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks