Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2007, 11:06   #1
vamshi_v

Palio Alternatve

Hi,
I have been waiting for new palio since 2 months,
Don't know when they are going to launch.

Planning to buy a new car by 15-Feb.
What are the alternative' s for Palio?
looking for a new car around 4.5 lakhs.

Thanks,
Vamshi

Old 5th February 2007, 11:21   #2
BHPian

If you ask die-hard Palio lovers, there is no alternative to a Palio, except if you move several segments to an Octy

But more seriously, consider the Swift or the Getz. The Swift has the performance while Getz focuses more on comfort. Both should be easy to maintain.
Old 5th February 2007, 11:42   #3

Consider Swift Vxi (ABS) or the heavily discounted Fiat 1.6 Sport, both within your budget.

Compared to the 1.2NV Elx for eaxample, the swift ABS variant is safer, has better after sales service, is cheaper to maintain, is more powerful, and yes, it is available in more colors:-) The Fiat has, ah umm, more cargo space.

the 1.6 Sport would be superior to both if driving pleasure is most important to you. In mumbai, wasan motors is promising delivery in 10 days but I would verify it in bangalore.

Maruti Swift VXI (ABS) bangalore price ex-showroom is 4.46L (marutiswift.com) and Maruti is offering free insurance and free extended warranty.
Old 5th February 2007, 11:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would say a good alternative to the Palio is the Chevy UV-A . It is pretty well built-better than getz or swift- is reasonable peppy and has loads of interior space. check it out.
Old 5th February 2007, 12:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
If you ask die-hard Palio lovers, there is no alternative to a Palio...
So true, so true Maybe when (when? oh, when?) the VW Golf comes out sometime in the next 5-7 years...
Old 5th February 2007, 13:41   #6
BHPian

I think Fiat is waiting for budget. I read somewhere(probably in ecotimes/FExp) that excise may be reduced to 12% for small cars.
Went to Chevy showroom to check UVA. They said that deliveries will start only in April even if you book the vehicle today. Looks like they are also waiting for budget.
Old 5th February 2007, 14:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

It's either Swift or Getz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe View Post
Compared to the 1.2NV Elx for eaxample, the swift ABS variant is safer, has better after sales service, is cheaper to maintain, is more powerful, and yes, it is available in more colors:-) The Fiat has, ah umm, more cargo space.

the 1.6 Sport would be superior to both if driving pleasure is most important to you.
Agree with all of the above except the cheaper to maintain part. Two issues back ACI did a spares survey and it was clear that the Swift is the Most Costly car to maintain in the hatch segment. Granted that Maruti's are cheap to maintain compared to competition but in the case of the Swift, thats not happening.
Old 5th February 2007, 14:26   #8
BHPian

yes is quite costly as far as spares are concerned ..
Old 5th February 2007, 15:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Try UVA its a great in terms of comfort, IF you buy car give importance toi comfort than performance and avservice station availability of service stations because modern cars will never show any issues of breakdown on highway!

UVA gives much much great comfort and has tons of interior space. This is what GM hopes one day indian car buyer give importance. If we keep giving importance to the price and resale we keep buying cheap economy cars and they absolutely don't provide good comfort.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 5th February 2007, 19:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Any particular reason for the new Palio? Fiat has an uphill task re-selling its image to the public. Buy a Swift/Getz instead
Old 5th February 2007, 20:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

a car with a 4.5lac budget? but then you didnt say if you want a diesel or petrol!

uva and getz if you want a car with palio like space. Getz has a better engine than uva and handles better too ( and some tbhpins I met at a tbhp quickie meet favored getz over swift for reasons other than space !!!)

why? come for the meets!
Old 5th February 2007, 20:16   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
some tbhpins I met at a tbhp quickie meet favored getz over swift for reasons other than space

Have them talk to me
Old 5th February 2007, 20:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Have them talk to me
ok talk to memo,mcl and now you know why you should go for quickies!
Old 5th February 2007, 21:25   #14
BHPian

i feel you should go in for the swift,if space is not a very important priority.no definitive dates for the new palio.
Old 5th February 2007, 22:53   #15
nbr
BHPian

Go and buy the SWIFT VXi along with ABS.Change the stock tyres to wider ones for better grip and handling.Tahe new White SWIFT rocks.!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks