Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2007, 10:04   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Have you checked out the Ikon Flair. If you are willing to wait for atleast 2 months i hear they are also coming out with a TDCi engine also(simmilar to the one in the fiesta diesel with lower capacity of course).
I have not heard about this. Is it true ?
Old 27th February 2007, 10:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

navdeep a guy from the ford showroom told me that. we have a fusion and i just told him that i'm planning for another vehicle under 5.5L. He told me it should be out in 2-3 months max and should give better F.E that the fiesta.
Old 27th February 2007, 10:27   #18
Team-BHP Support

@ajinkyapose : Petrol Swift Vxi makes perfect sense for you, with the kind of running involved. The extra moolah u spend on the diesel makes sense only if u involve in a lot of travelling, the calculations to the same have been mentioned/debated many a times on other threads of this forum.

@gemithomas : Although slightly off-topic, could u name your source regarding your info on the TDCi Ikon Flair?
Old 27th February 2007, 11:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

i got to know about the ikon TDCi form an executive at ford. we own a fusion and so i just called up the guy who sold it to us. He's quite a good guy with not much "marketing" tactics. So we keeo contact once in a while. I just told him that i'm planning for a newvehicle. He told the the ikon TDCi would come in the nest 2-3 months with a 1.3 TDCi engine. He said it would be priced slightly above the Swift VDi.
Old 27th February 2007, 11:57   #20
Team-BHP Support

@ gemithomas : If indeed ur source is reliable, then that just means an extended life span for the Ikon. Shall confirm with my sales guy too.
Old 27th February 2007, 12:00   #21
BHPian

Quote:
i got to know about the ikon TDCi form an executive at ford. we own a fusion and so i just called up the guy who sold it to us. He's quite a good guy with not much "marketing" tactics. So we keeo contact once in a while. I just told him that i'm planning for a newvehicle. He told the the ikon TDCi would come in the nest 2-3 months with a 1.3 TDCi engine. He said it would be priced slightly above the Swift VDi.
Are you sure its the Ikon with a TDCi or the Fusion. Coz I heard the same about Fusion from a senior Ford sales guy in Delhi.
Old 27th February 2007, 12:06   #22
BHPian

I have heard about Fusion TDCi but not so in near future. How much they are going to price it 6.7 lakhs ?? so close to fiesta tdci.

Ikon 1.3 diesel option and Fiesta 1.4 ?? price 6 lakhs ??

Does sound feasible option ? but you never know..
Old 27th February 2007, 12:38   #23
BHPian

We are way off-topic guys.
Coming back on-topic, everybody says their running is 1000-1200 kms only. But, this rapidly changes once they get their car. When I bought my Swift(P), I swore that I would use it only on weekends, however I eat,sleep and breathe in it everyday.

Diesel makes sense. Even if there's a price parity(I mean fuel price), diesel cars are more FE, have more torque, and generally more suited for long-distance travel.

However, if you're the type that up-shifts to 3rd at 90km/hr, doesnt mind that 5k/month that goes in fuel, and generally likes a vibe-free quiet interior, feather-light clutch and snappy gearbox, the Petrol ROCKS.

Finally, a BSM article on the subject:
Tests - A tale of two Swifts - Business Standard Motoring

Last edited by ballkey : 27th February 2007 at 12:42. Reason: -
Old 27th February 2007, 13:12   #24
Team-BHP Support

There definitely is a possibility that once a person gets his car, he/she begins to use it more often that they thought they would. But those staying in crowded cities, and those who commute by their bikes would probably stick to their initial running estimates.

OFF-TOPIC : Just spoke to the sales guys at my Ford dealer, and they mentioned the Fusion would definitely be coming in with a TDCi engine, but were really not sure about the Ikon in that avatar. A possible September launch was mentioned for the Fusion TDCi, from what i could gather.
Old 27th February 2007, 14:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
We are way off-topic guys.
Coming back on-topic, everybody says their running is 1000-1200 kms only. But, this rapidly changes once they get their car. When I bought my Swift(P), I swore that I would use it only on weekends, however I eat,sleep and breathe in it everyday.

Diesel makes sense. Even if there's a price parity(I mean fuel price), diesel cars are more FE, have more torque, and generally more suited for long-distance travel.

However, if you're the type that up-shifts to 3rd at 90km/hr, doesnt mind that 5k/month that goes in fuel, and generally likes a vibe-free quiet interior, feather-light clutch and snappy gearbox, the Petrol ROCKS.

Finally, a BSM article on the subject:
Tests - A tale of two Swifts - Business Standard Motoring
Agree here and the point here is that the Diesel in everyday driving performs a lot better than the petrol car which has no torque at low rpms to speak of. Plus the fact that u save almost 3k's per month which can easily cover the emi for the extra payment that you do upfront.
Its a no brainer for me... has to be Swift DDi.
I have reviewed swift diesel in one of the threads, read the thread it may be of some help to you.
Old 27th February 2007, 15:23   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

It has to be Swift DDSi, no brainer for me too, we decide how much we want to run before we buy and this equation changes drastically after you make the purchase.

Also, i have a mindset which maybe weird but, i dont mind doing a large upfront but monthly large amounts are taboo..same like you can write out a check but paying cash really hurts you where it matters

For e.g: if you buy the Swift (p), then you have to stick to your guideline of just taking your parents out on weekends BUT,

if you buy the swift (d) then you can drive everyday, in fact chalk out plans for long trips which you have to think twice when doing it with a petrol vehicle.

Plus, the other advantages, torque to kill for and superb accelaration
Old 27th February 2007, 17:25   #27
BHPian

Its a very tough one. Not too sure whether maintenence cost of this new gem of an engine would be very high. Its the very best in technology as compared to the petrol engine and as for long drives, the boot is very cramped making Swift a City diesel car. Vdi would be my choice.
Old 27th February 2007, 18:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

OFF TOPIC But one last word since we discussed so much . The guy told me about the fusion TDci too that would be priced probably a 1L above the present version. And he also told me about the ikon. Dont know how authentic it is since i never heard that from any other source!!!

ajinkya. if you look at the features that you get you would go for the Vxi. But if you look only at the mileage you could go for the Diesel. Even if it starts giving problems after 50K you will still save some money in terms of the reduced fuel costs incurred.

A more value for money option would be the WagonR with or without the gas option. I think the swift is way too highly priced just to bring in a reasonable difference between the petro version and the diesel. Just look at the things you get for a 5.3 L Hatchback!!! I dont think it is justifyable. And i'll bet anything on Maruti giving close to 30K offers on the VDi in a years time. Its just a "Market Skimming" price strategy in marketing terminology.
Old 27th February 2007, 19:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Just look at the things you get for a 5.3 L Hatchback!!! I dont think it is justifyable. And i'll bet anything on Maruti giving close to 30K offers on the VDi in a years time. Its just a "Market Skimming" price strategy in marketing terminology.
I have a question here.
What is the difference between a Swift Hatchback and a 3 box car like a Fiesta apart from the boot? I was trying to understand why that boot carries so much value when the rest of the car is equal or superior to a 3 box car. (This particular statement holds good for a Swift ZXI vs. a Fiesta 1.4). So between a Fiesta 1.4 and a Swift ZXI, what would one recommend?
Old 27th February 2007, 19:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

For the sheer driveability and "fun factor", i would take the VDi. Monthly running be damned!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks