Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
VW Polo 1.0 TSI 143 35.93%
Ford Figo / Freestyle 1.5L TDCi 255 64.07%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2020, 13:10   #1
BANNED

VW Polo 1.0 TSI vs Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi for an enthusiast?

Now that the Polo has become much more affordable and going by the reviews on Youtube, this one seems to be alot of fun. Although I never liked the three cylinders setup but this one in the new polo seems to be very refined. When almost paid the advance for a figo diesel in February, lockdown happened and I held on for some more time. I was compromising on good interiors, android auto and apple carplay, driver's arm rest on the figo just for that beast 1.5 Tcdi but with all those features, a great engine and in similar price range, does the new Polo make more sense?
Shantnumehta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:46   #2
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.0 Tsi or Ford Figo diesel, which one makes more sense under Rs. 9 lakhs for an enthusi

I guess it depends on your driving. I for one drive a lot on highways and ghat sections and there's nothing like driving the Ford Figo. If your driving is limited to city and occasional highway ones, you can wait and look for Polo 1.0 TSI. Otherwise Figo still makes lot of sense.
kptraveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 19:55   #3
anb
BHPian

Re: VW Polo 1.0 Tsi or Ford Figo diesel, which one makes more sense under Rs. 9 lakhs for an enthusi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantnumehta View Post
I was compromising on good interiors, android auto and apple carplay, driver's arm rest on the figo just for that beast 1.5 Tcdi but with all those features, a great engine and in similar price range, does the new Polo make more sense?
I have new Figo petrol and 2 Polo GT's at home. In stock form, the Figo's steering feel, ride & handling are superior to the Polo. Performance will be close between tsi and 1.5 tdci. The maintenance and running cost of the Figo will be way cheaper than the Polo. Both cars are excellent options in 9 lakhs category.
anb is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 20:18   #4
BANNED

It mainly depends on your usage sir. But if you want a nice hatch which may put a smile on your face, I would say that the polo should be better. Even though ownership and maintenance costs of the figo would be a lot lesser. If you are looking for a nice highway cruiser then you should go for figo, else if you would be driving it in city conditions then I feel polo would be better.
Tachyonites is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 09:10   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Polo 1.0 TSI vs Ford Figo 1.5L TDCi for an enthusiast?

Although the Polo 1.0 TSI appears to be competent (based on reviews, haven't driven it yet), I would buy the Figo 1.5L Diesel over it.

Also consider the Freestyle .

Advantages:
- One of the best 1.5L diesels with excellent power & punch
- In-city driveability will be superior to the Polo 1.0
- Lower running cost + higher FE (due to diesel)
- Ford's long-term reliability is better than VW's
- Backseat is more comfortable
- As much fun to drive as the Polo
- I loved the Freestyle's suspension tune
- 6 airbags & ESP available
- Maintenance cost will be lower
- Remap ready for more power

Last edited by GTO : 10th June 2020 at 07:19. Reason: ESP
GTO is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 20:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

I was researching a bit about sub 10 lakh hatchbacks and realised how value for money the Figo diesel is. It's cheaper than the equivalent Altroz petrol variants!

In this choice, Figo will be my pick.

Reason

1. More bang for the buck (you get the top end diesel on road for the ex showroom price of Polo 1.0)
2. Better space management
3. Better A.S.S and cheaper maintenance
4. Great Fuel efficiency
5. Figo S variant is lit
6. 6 airbags!!
7. That diesel is really fun to drive.
But the polo is better built and looks better (even after a decade). The paint quality and interior quality of polo are a lot better.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 5th June 2020 at 20:49.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 21:30   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
, does the new Polo make more sense?
Both are good options and I don't think diffrence in the cost of ownership is significant enough to swing the decision. Test drive both and pick the car that you are likely to enjoy over a long period of ownership. Don't pick the wrong car bechare it has 0.01 higher score in some x parameter I am surprised by the low number of Figo cars I see on the road compared to Polo, Figo looks pretty good IMO but I think Polo has a slight edge in the looks departement inside out.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 22:36   #8
KPR
BANNED

If I'm you I will buy grey coloured freestyle eyes closed. There's nothing wrong with new polo but considering the running cost, maintenance cost no doubt ford wins here. New polo TSI MT is not Abarth for sure and AT cannot as be fun as it's outgoing DSG. So why buy something that's tamed down? OTOH figo gets that meaty diesel of ecosport in a compact low kerb weight form. So the peppiness of the mill can be outright seen. So eyes closed freestyle for me. Figo somehow doesn't look like a car that you will make you turn back and see once again after parking it but a freestyle definitely is.
KPR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 22:49   #9
BHPian

The Ford Figo 1.5-TDCi will be my pick. Even if the car misses out on some features, it will definitely be a better choice over the VW Polo as:
- The 1.5-L engine is more refined, has a better low end, and will be much more fuel-efficient than the 1.0-L TSI.
- I am still not very comfortable with small, 3-pot turbocharged engines making very high power. I am someone who believes that there is no replacement for displacement.
- The interiors of the Figo are not only more spacious but the seats themselves are better and more supportive.
- Long term maintenance of the Figo will turn out to be cheaper than that of the Polo.
- A Ford vehicle is a lot more reliable and cheap to service than the VW cars.
MrBeast is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 22:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Polo. I am not convinced about the long term strategy of Ford. I foresee a future where Ford will pack up and leave. VW and Skoda seems to be in it for a longer term.
padmrajravi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 23:09   #11
BANNED

Quote:
I was compromising on good interiors, android auto and apple car play, driver's armrest on the Figo just for that beast 1.5 Tcdi but with all those features, a great engine and in similar price range, does the new Polo make more sense?
If it is down to these two options, then it is the Figo TDCi, no doubt.

Have a look at this ownership thread and what minor upgrades can do to make the ownership even more brilliant.

The Polo is a great car but once the 1.5L TDCi engine comes into the picture, everything else is out of the room for me.

Last edited by a4anurag : 5th June 2020 at 23:10.
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 09:50   #12
BHPian

Voted for Figo.

I own a freestyle and it gives me a smile everytime I drive it
Some great reasons :

- 1.5 L TDCi engine, the heart of the matter
- Cheap maintenance ( General services are cheaper or equal to Maruti )
- Steering feels easy to maneuver in city ( I test drove Polo and Freestyle back to back )
Sk8r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 10:24   #13
BHPian

Voted for Ford Figo/Freestyle for its excellent engine, low cost of ownership and decent rear legroom compared to VW Polo.
And the primary reason - for that diesel clatter
Achilles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 10:38   #14
BHPian

I would suggest Figo with much lesser running costs and similar driving pleasure. I don't like 3 cylinder turbo petrol cars due to refinement issue and initial lag. From the recent reviews, Polo really wakes up post 2500 rpm. Roughness in lower rpm is quite evident. Cost of ownership would be lower with Figo.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th June 2020 at 11:48. Reason: Minor typos fixed.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 8th June 2020, 10:58   #15
BHPian

Voted for Figo/Freestyle TDci, easy to drive in city, beast on highways, great efficiency and cheaper to run too.
Personally like Freestyle, very practical and looks great and well kitted, Hill Hold 6 Airbags etc and icing on the cake is price!
buntee90 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks