Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2007, 13:45   #1
BHPian

Need help on buying a car.

Hi,
I have a maruti 800 which i bought to learn driving.Its almost a year and i can drive quiet well now.I am planning to buy a new car/or may be a second hand one if a get a good condition car.
I am plannig for a fiat car (palio 1.2 nv nv/ELX).Has anyone recently bought a new palio.I would like to read his reviews.Most reviews i saw on the site for fiat are quiet old.Basically what i am looking out for is safety and comfort and next comes FUEL ECONOMY .Can some help me out if i should go in for a new one or look out for a second hand Palio.
Old 26th March 2007, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sir..!!
Whats your budget?
Old 26th March 2007, 15:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

RAvi, buying a car is one of the most difficult decisions. PLease give us your kind of travel in terms of km/month, city/highway, Budget etc. The priorities you have mentioned safety and FE. Well if you tell me safety, i dont think you'll get anything better than a FIAT (till date in india) wither new or second hand. If you look for F.E you'll get a long list probably without a FIAT in it!! (THough after owning 2 FIATs i would never say that the FIAT mileage is that bad.)
Old 26th March 2007, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Consider a new palio. An old one could frustrate you to the ends if it needs replacements.
Old 26th March 2007, 16:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

@Ravi : As E_L said, do go in for the new Palio. None of the owners would be willing to part with their 'old' Palios' anyways.
Old 26th March 2007, 16:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas
Well if you tell me safety, i dont think you'll get anything better than a FIAT (till date in india) wither new or second hand.
Like most people in another thread (which is the safest hatchback?), you seem to be going by the "general feeling of safety" arising from the Palio being heavier. Heavy does not directly equate to safety.

And BTW, there are other safer options available in the market today with many manufacturers providing cars with ABS, airbags etc (Swift is one example).
Old 26th March 2007, 16:32   #7
BHPian

palio has saftey and comfort both but FE no man ,i think the best car which almost three of your option is swift btw considering the budget of 4-5 lac i dont know your budget
Old 26th March 2007, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

SupremeBaleno I very well agree with you. I would say that Swift is the ONLY car in the Maruti Stable which seems to have considered the SAfety ASpect to an extent. I have heard that the Cabin is strong enough and holds on in event of impact. But over the past 3 months when i was in a REVIEW FEVER so as to buy a car, i have also heard of atleast 4 confirmed events of the swift oversteering and falling off from the road. In two out of these instances(one during a Test Drive!!!) the car was fully destroyed but however the cabin held on and the passengers were safe. SO from what i've heard the Swift is indeed a SAFE HATCH from Maruti. But i woul give more points to the Palio coz i feel that its always better to avoid accidents through better handling than to fall off the ROAD and then say that the CABIN HELD ON!!!!
Old 26th March 2007, 17:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Like most people in another thread (which is the safest hatchback?), you seem to be going by the "general feeling of safety" arising from the Palio being heavier. Heavy does not directly equate to safety.
Who told you that Palio is Heavy and thatz why it is safe???

It is all about the Build Quality of Palio, which makes it Safer!
Old 26th March 2007, 17:25   #10
BHPian

Just wait for few more days for the new palio 1.1. This will be available post 2 nd APR onwards. Infact, I heard this will deliver 12-14 in city from unconfirmed sources.
Old 26th March 2007, 17:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
It is all about the Build Quality of Palio, which makes it Safer!
Could you please elaborate a bit on the build quality and how it makes it safer ? No assumptions/feel etc. Just hard core data and stats if any please ?
Old 26th March 2007, 18:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

One thing that I find surprising in this thread and also the thread re. "Safest hatch in India" is that no one has mentioned the biggest safety feature in the Swift that the Palio does not have-Tubeless tyres. anyone who has experienced a high speed puncture/blowout on tube type tyres (I have so i know what I am talking about!) would vouch for the need for tubeless. In fact when i bought my Palio and my Baleno, the first thing I did was to change the tyres to tubeless.- with the palio I had great difficulty in gettin 165/13 R80 tubeless but finally found Hankook ones- with the baleno, got the tryes changed at the dealer itself!

That apart, the new Palio will have shed over 200 kilos (if reports are to be believed) and hence the "percieved" safety on account of its heavy sheet metal will no longet be there. hence the Swift would win hands down!

If you are not a large family, another car you can look at is the wagon R since there is an option for ABS and dual airbags in the Wagon R!!
Old 26th March 2007, 18:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
One thing that I find surprising in this thread and also the thread re. "Safest hatch in India" is that no one has mentioned the biggest safety feature in the Swift that the Palio does not have-Tubeless tyres.
Himanshu, Even Swift doesn't have stock Tubeless tyres!

Yes, Tubeless tyres is definitly safer on high speeds!
And every safety conscious car owners should upgrade their stock tyres to Tubeless ones.
Old 26th March 2007, 18:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Himanshu, Even Swift doesn't have stock Tubeless tyres!

Yes, Tubeless tyres is definitly safer on high speeds!
And every safety conscious car owners should upgrade their stock tyres to Tubeless ones.
They do... I have stock swift VXI with tubless tyres. Apart from music system I have not got anything else fitted in my car.
Old 26th March 2007, 18:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
They do... I have stock swift VXI with tubless tyres. Apart from music system I have not got anything else fitted in my car.
Oops! I take my word back!
I guess the high-end version of new Palio should have Tubeless, letz wait and see....!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks