Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 20:28   #1
BHPian

Swift VXI - So many complaints do i book or do i reconsider??

HI all this is my final post before i buy a swift vxi, after doing much research and going through many ownership reports posted by various team-bhpians i finally decided to buy a swift vxi ,It was then i came across this post:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rs-true-2.html

I was shocked to see so many complaints and also to read comments that rattling sound starting to come in a car( especially dashboard and front doors) as early as three weeks after purchase !! Has these problems been sorted out in the swifts being delivered now ? Also i also read comments as to the car suffers from low end torque and not very suitable for bumper to bumper traffic ( Wagon R pulls better)?Is the same true ?

Sorry if its a repost first car buying from my own money so very excited about it !!

THe offer as quoted by my dealer in Kolkata:-

Swift Vxi :- Rs 15,000 cash cheque + Rs 3000 corporate discount + Rs 5000 dealer discount

Car Loan - SBI Bank - Rate 11.4% ( Reducing)

What do you guys think about the offer ??

Please help me decide !!
Old 16th April 2007, 21:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Swift has many minor glitches, from outside it looks great, once you start using it you will realize MUL has managed to get car of the year award although it does not deserve it. Its hype and indian public baught Swift without checking it much.

UVA, Palio, Getz all are very good cars comapred to Swift although Swift's pricing might look its cheap but it has all crap in it.

Only from outside Swift is awasome car for looking.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 16th April 2007, 21:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nikunj,

The build quality of swift has been questionable and still is. Having owned a getz in the family this is my basis for comparison. Some of the issues that first surfaced like the door/window rattles etc have supposedly been taken care of and it doesnt seem to be prevalent now.

Regarding the offer I think its a decent deal, try to bargain for some more small freebies if you can but overall seems ok.

I had made some similar posts in february and had finalised for the swift... some financial issues cropped up so it had to be put on hold. We are now more or less ready to book but first I want to check out the Palio 1.6 sport
Old 16th April 2007, 21:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

hello nikunj

personally my opinions are as given under

1. for the service options, there is none like maruti, so anyday i would prefer to be loyal to them
2. i believe the rattles are already well known to maruti and they have sorted things out in the newer cars, the reports you are reading probably are as old as six months now (for the petrol version), you can anyway talk to some experienced workshop mechanic on this at any maruti service center (not showroom) just to guage his feelings on these things

3. the discounts are too high to be ignored. you are already getting a discount of 20+k which is good.

4. if i am not mistaken maruti cars have lowest emi as they are preferred by banks as well

5. wagon R torque is 84@3500 rpm, while swift is 113@4500 rpm, also bhp is 64@6200 rpm, and 87@6000 rpm. so if you see, the full torque of wagonr comes in early, while the full torque of swift comes in almost 1k later. but if you consider only 84 as torque of swift, more or less they both kick in at 3500 rpm itself which means both are alike w.r.t torque. however pulling will be better in swift as its got 87 bhp compared to 64 of wagonr at the same rpm almost!

6. the rattles seem to be caused by the door elements such as door pads, plastic clips etc and dont seem to be a major concern. fyi, after thinking like you i ve booked swift diesel just because of the engine power and driveability. i m equally concerned on the rattles like you! but i m discounting that as compared to having good a.s.s and reliability of maruti brand.

7. your resale of maruti cars hold more value anyday. hyundai, tata and fiat have bad resales as well.

hope these points help! there is another guy here, vamshi, i think with id vamshi_v who has also booked petrol swift, maybe you can ping him for more details!
Old 16th April 2007, 21:51   #5
BHPian

Rattling issues are there but I guess there aren't any other issues in Swift P. You are getting quite a good deal. Go for it .. its not at all in "bad" category.
Old 16th April 2007, 22:01   #6
BHPian

Thanks all for such a prompt response . Also i wanted to change to good tube less tyres. I really like this post here :_
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-vxi-help.html

and also want to go for potenza III 185/70/14 along with plati alloys !! Will the same compensate the FE in any way ! if yes any other recommendations?? Pls remember i dont want to compromise o my FE !!

@geeksrik - Thanks i will ping vamshi and get updates from him also. By the way heard bangalore is really burning down these days :-) !! Also does the swift vdi has the same build as that of petrol models ??
Old 16th April 2007, 22:16   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Rattling issues are there but I guess there aren't any other issues in Swift P. You are getting quite a good deal. Go for it .. its not at all in "bad" category.
There was rattling issue with the Swift... But, that is the only problem reported with the car...

I have two friends, one having olds Swift VXi, and another one having new SwiftD, the Swift D seems to have sorted out the rattling issues...

Swift is the best package in the segment... However, if your priority is only buid quality, go for the Getz prime...
Old 16th April 2007, 22:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
We are now more or less ready to book but first I want to check out the Palio 1.6 sport
1.6 Sport? All the best s0uljah... from the reports I'm getting, it's not available for a TD anywhere... looks like fiat's making them to order!!

Coming back to the topic, I'm thinking about buying the Swift too... the overall driving experience's much better than the getz, palio 1.1 and u-va (the latter in fact almost put me to sleep) and the offers on the Swift are really sweet!! I think I can live with a few rattles if my ride brings a smile on my face on Monday mornings...

Nikunj, I'm planning to buy the car mid-may types... let me know if u take the jump before that, will take some tips from u
Old 16th April 2007, 23:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Lots of great replies so far
@wimwian, like I said I do want to check it out....

Looks like lot more swifts to be added to the t-bhp stable!
Old 17th April 2007, 00:06   #10
BANNED

Consider the Getz 1.1...
Getz is more refined than Swift and it is the same car exported to Europe manufactured in India. Getz is a globa lcar.

Swift is different in Europe and INdia. ....Swift in India comes with the old Esteem egine....

Getz 1.1 > Swift Petrol in mileage, in build quality and in refinement.....Plus it maybe slightly cheaper as well

I own a Swift Petrol
Old 17th April 2007, 09:35   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, the Swift may have its issues (rattling, some low-grade interior fitments etc.) but its still a fabulous package. I wouldnt take the Swift off the buying list just for this.

Test drive it again and compare it to the Getz. Both will keep you happy, but the Swift....more so.
Old 17th April 2007, 10:27   #12
BHPian

Hi wimwian i will be booking the swift most probably within 2-3 days . Thx all for your replies. I think swift is cheaper and superios in pickup to GETZ , I am not very sure but i rememeber reading the same in one of the posts. Is it true ??
Old 17th April 2007, 10:32   #13
k36
BHPian

The rattling in swift is all plastic rattling, as against metal rattling. In my 1 year old VXi rattling comes up sometimes after I drive on rough roads at high speeds, but always goes away either automatically or can be easily eliminated by either pulling and adjusting loose speaker wires, pushing some loose plastic clips or dashboard or door panels, etc.
Basically, rattling.. though irritating, is not serious problem. Its not as if the body is not holding on. The car has great structural rigidity, its the plastic interiors that cause minor rattling. If you are satisfied with the overall package you are getting, you can easily overlook the rattling part.

Last edited by k36 : 17th April 2007 at 10:34.
Old 17th April 2007, 10:49   #14
Team-BHP Support

yup its the plastic thats the cause and i feel that quality has lil improved.. go for swift if you want a driver oriented machine
Old 17th April 2007, 10:56   #15
Team-BHP Support

Despite the rattling interiors, the Swift has been a runaway success for MUL. With no other major ownership issues cropping up so far as per the owners on this forum, i would say it does make sense to go in for the Swift. Marutis always manage good resale prices, and so in the long run would leave you more pleased.

Fuel efficiency is also on expected lines.
However, there is a thread which mentioned a really high servicing cost at 20K kms. Do check out this thread too.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...20-000-km.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks